please help. i'm a noob =(

zacnurnberger

so, i just started playing swtor last week. seems like a great game. except........... i spend more time trying to figure out why i can't play it than actually playing. by a factor of ten.

my issue? seems like invisible walls. more and more frequent it seems, but that could just be me.

i am playing on an asus 2 in 1. q552ub model.

the game will just randomly stop, i can't interact with anything. if it is in the middle of a fight the enemy will remain but i cant attack. invisible walls limit me to a small area.

i'm going nuts, and to make things worse, I'm completely computer illiterate. i don't know if this is an issue with my internet at home, a 'server', some game setting, etc.?

please help, i've been a casual star wars fan for 30 years now lol

This is a sign of a connection issue, happens to me when I'm on really crappy internet and/or my laptop with a crappy wireless card. But yeah, I know what you mean by invisible walls. This isn't likely an installation issue, I can almost guarantee it is the connection, mouse over the signal strength in the lower right corner to see your ping.

Yep, that happens when your connection is dodgy. For me it is usually a sign that I'm about to get cut off altogether. Usually accompanied by the red dot in the bottom right-hand corner connection indicator thingy, followed by its old friend the red X.

Thankfully I don't get it very often.

Edited by PLynkes

ok, thanks to both of you very much. i've almost got it completely re downloaded, when i can start it again in a bit i'll check the ping in the corner of the screen. what is ping, and what should i see it as (what value?) Edited by zacnurnberger

Well ping is your conection to the server basicly how well your pc/laptob is conected to your internet server or something like that. 3 bars is as i can tell 54 ping and i have really bad internet so anything above 152 and it ruins it for me but 53-54 ping is the youre good to go as far as i can tell. but you wont be in doubt if your conection is **** as my record ping is 83300

update_

i finished the re downloading. at least the first part, where you can play the first world only. things are going good so far. my ping, now that i know how to look at it and what it is, seems to average 50-220. i seem to be getting occasional spikes above that which prevent me from playing, but since i un installed and re installed the game, at max they are occuring at a 15 minute interval, for less than a minute.

idk what happened, but this is MUCH NICER! actually being able to play for more than 5 minutes every three hours is amazing.

ok, i am currently experiencing server lag at 350,000 ms and heading to 400k. unable to play at the moment. what is server lag? what causes server lag? how do i fix this server lag? thanks you very much for any help.

In general, server lag is caused by by some server/router in your internet route* having problems. In your case, it sounds like your ISP (WOW?) is pretty crappy. These sorts of lag issues are not that apparent when you are just doing e-mails, facebook, surfing, etc, but can be a real killer to gaming.

You could call up your ISP and complain. They may be having a temporary hardware problems, or they may be just a low-rent crap company.

*Your internet route includes your computer and router, the ISPs various servers, various other hubs and routers that your signal has to go through to get to SWTOR, and the BW servers themselves. The lag could be being caused by some hub in the middle somewhere that you (or your ISP, or BW) have no control over.

Edited by JediQuaker

I had severe connection issues when I started as well, making the game unplayable. Turns out, it was my wireless connection. I cabled up my laptop, and all issues were fixed. I also gained a stumble hazzard. No idea if this applies to OP, but that's one possibility.

well, i contacted my isp (WOW) and they said it looked good thought it might be my wireless router. router is two years old. i don't know if it is the problem, as i said, i am computer illiterate. i did do a ping test, on advice.

i'm getting 24-25 ms ping. 3-5 ms jitter. and pingtest.net is unable to to test packet loss. something about java. i downloaded it, but i'm using firefox w/ win10, so i have no idea whats going on.

help?

well, i contacted my isp (WOW) and they said it looked good thought it might be my wireless router. router is two years old. i don't know if it is the problem, as i said, i am computer illiterate. i did do a ping test, on advice.

i'm getting 24-25 ms ping. 3-5 ms jitter. and pingtest.net is unable to to test packet loss. something about java. i downloaded it, but i'm using firefox w/ win10, so i have no idea whats going on.

help?

View the internet like a railroad network owned by multiple companies: everything can be fine at your station and everything can be fine at Bioware's station, but when there's a construction site or an accident somewhere along the route, your train will come late or not at all. Until the problem is fixed or the companies agree on a detour, the only thing you can do is taking the bus.

In case of the internet the bus is a VPN service, like WTFast, Pingzapper, Lowerping or Battleping. Those services maintain their own network that connects to the internet at a couple of servers all across the world. Mainly intended to fix the usual spiky pings on overseas connections, you can also use them to circumvent a broken part of your routing. They all are paid services but allow a trial mode where you will be disconnected after 30-60 minutes.

For the long-term solution your ISP and BW require more information:

From http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=235633:

You can access traceroute through a Command Prompt. Click the Start Menu and type "cmd" or "command". When the shell opens and you are presented a prompt, type one of the following:

If you play on an East Coast server: tracert 159.153.92.28

If you play on a West Coast server: tracert 159.153.68.252

If you play on a European server: tracert 159.153.72.252

The first hop is your router and should be 1ms or less, this line also contains your IP, so you may want to remove it if you post it here.

Edited by Mubrak

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.