Flickering texture objects on the Nvidia card after the 26th Jan maintenance....

Szob

Hello guys,

Since the support turned down my in-game ticket about the issue and closed it in 1 day, I turn here for help.

Since last maintenace, performed on Tuesday, 26th of January, I cannot play the game due to very rapidly flickering texture objects on my Nvidia 840M powered laptop. To be more precise, these are not textures of the environment objects that are filckering, but a seperate objects (usually thick lines) appearing on my screen in the foreground, obstructing the field of view to the point where I can't see anything. Barely can read nameplates of other players.

In the past 4 days spent several hours trying all I could to make the flickering disappear, but no dice.

I am on 12 month old Acer Aspire E15 with Nvidia 840M 2Gb VRam. Upgraded all card drivers to the latest version (Intel HD and Nvidia), tried older drivers as well, installed DX9 next to DX11, forced the game to run on DX9, reinstalled the game, tried every single in-game grapics settings, one by one, to see if anything would work, tried all the tweaks on the Nvidia driver control panel (tried switching on and off every single parameter of the card). Nothing works. Literally, nothing effects the flickering in any way. Same issue on both cards, Intel and Nvidia.

Any solution for this or I should head for unsub button?

This is the wrong place to post this , best here

NVidia Notebook drivers have been problematic since 355.98, so that is the best driver to revert to initially

No idea of the OS used but you could try this , but it maybe related to the monitor EDID can you try a different one just in case ?

Can also run a repair to be sure

Non-Streaming launcher - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, With the new launcher after login , select the username pulldown on the top right and select settings, then press repair.

Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher

Edited by OwenBrooks

This is the wrong place to post this , best here

NVidia Notebook drivers have been problematic since 355.98, so that is the best driver to revert to initially

Well, I tried 355 driver, not .98 version, but a bit earlier verion. It did not change anything. Keep in mind I was on even earlier driver (from Feb 2015) for almost a year without any issues. I played on this driver on Sunday last time and on Tuesday after the maintenance it started to flicker. So, reverting to earlier than the current driver would not help at all.

No idea of the OS used but you could try this

I am on WIndows 7 Pro 64bit at the moment, DX11 with DX9c installed as well. I did find that solution you quoted and made all 3 items run in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode, it greatly increased my FPS (by around 20-30), but it did not help with the texture objects flying all around my screen with high frequency.

Can also run a repair to be sure

Non-Streaming launcher - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, With the new launcher after login , select the username pulldown on the top right and select settings, then press repair.

Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher

Ok, this I have not tried and I will in a moment, and report back. Thanks anyways.

Ok, removing the BitRaider folder caused the game to run the verification from 0 to 100% and after it was done, I pressed Play button and naturally nothing changed, flickering still present.

So, I decided to finally get rid of BitRaider and removed it, disabled it in the Launcher settings and am now re-downloading the game. See if it helps.

Edited by DanuBanu

I would also try a different monitor and see if it does the same behavior as well if you can test that.

sorry after midnight so have to go for the night

Well, it is a laptop, but it has both VGA and HDMI ports, so I will try both after I download it in some 2-3 hours.

Ok, I reinstalled the game without the BitRaider and it did not change anything. The flickering is stil there.

But I decided to remove Nvidia driver entirely and lo and behold, the game started to work OK on the integrated graphic card (Intel HD). I tried to make an operation and it played smoothly, only slower since Nvidia is much quicker.

So, now I run the game on the Intel HD integrated card and will install the Nvidia driver. It clearly seems to be the issue of Nvidia driver. Seems BioWare did something to the game servers that is not compatibile with Nvidia cards.

Off to re-install the latest Nvidia driver and see if that works.

Ok, after the installation of Nvidia driver the flickering started again same way. So, clearly it is the Nvidia driver related issue.

However, if I select the integrated Intel HD card as default graphic adapter and run the game, the flickering is gone. So, I can play the game on the integrated card for now. It is much slower, but at least it works.

Seems BioWare needs to review their code for compatibility with the Nvidia driver. I hope they will do it with patch 4.1 in a few days. For now I stick to Intel HD card.

Edited by Szob

have a look here see if anything seems like what you are seeing

Any change between window and fullscreen modes ? if it was affecting everyone then yes bioware would need to look at it ,if just specific video card models it is likely a driver issue and NVidia will need to look at it under directx 9eX

This thread mentions diagonal tearing ? does what you see resemble this ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

have a look here see if anything seems like what you are seeing

Any change between window and fullscreen modes ? if it was affecting everyone then yes bioware would need to look at it ,if just specific video card models it is likely a driver issue and NVidia will need to look at it under directx 9eX

This thread mentions diagonal tearing ? does what you see resemble this ?

Nope, it does not look like this. It is not the tearing. I have dozens of diagonal lines flying around the screen centered around my character. Really lots of them, like 40-50 and flickering at 60Hz. I tried to make a screenshot but it only catches like 2-3 of them, whereas in real life there are so many of them that it obstructs the field of view so much I cannot read nameplates. Also the flickering is so intensive that my eyes hurt after 2-3 mins of watching it.

My friend suggested that my Nvidia card is broken, but how it would break between Sunday and Tuesday when I did not use that card inbetween, I ran business programs on Intel HD which is the default card on Monday. I once had a HP laptop where Nvidia chip got dettached from the board and the card was malfunctioning, but it affected all programs and the desktop as well. In this case, it only fails in SWTOR. All other applications like browser, media player operate without any issues. So, I dobut it is hardware failure. Beside, laptop is still under the warranty. I may run some hardware test programs on the Nvidia and see if they return any errors to rule out the hardware failure.

Will report later.

Just to report and close this thread, it is not the game issue, but Nvidia hardware issue.

I downloaded the GPUTest software and ran it on Nvidia and the test graphics has exactly same flickering objects as the game. I also started the Firefox on Nvidia and youtube videos have the same flickering objects all over them. To be 100% I ran the same test on my second system (Linux) and it showed exactly same flickering objects for all the tests.

Conclusion: broken Nvidia card. Seems to be some GPU hardware issue since it shows both under Windows 7 and Linux.

Funny thing, I have 1 week of warranty left, so I need to report it next week to ACER for warranty repair.

Edited by Szob