Is it possible to level at the intended curve as a sub?

falsfire

So yeah, the increased leveling rate is awesome when leveling an alt in a base class you already have (ie leveling a mercenary when you already have a powertech). You can blaze through the levels at "ludicrous speed" (at least as a subscriber I can).

To illustrate this, I did a test: I started a new level 1 bounty hunter. I deliberately did every available mission on each planet he visited, once (daily/weekly/heroic etc just do them 1x). He hit level 65 while in the early part of Tatooine (intended levels 24-28 I believe?)

At this point, he's still working on Hoth, with a limited number of companions (don't have Blizz yet), but is 65 and already wearing raid gear. Little silly how easy that is :)

ANYWAYS, I would like to level at least one new alt at the intended pace, so I'm wondering, if there's no way to slow down EXP as a subscriber, would creating a 2nd account as a F2P give the "intended" leveling experience, where you stay on course with each planet's intended level range?

I've been working on some other alts too, and even doing *ONLY CLASS MISSIONS*, no dailies/weeklies/heroics/FPs/warzones/nothing, they end up well ahead of the curve quickly...

Over the holidays, I rolled three new alts...

I didn't even do the planet missions, I only did class stories and a small amount of WZ/GSF, and a single FP for the "intro to FP" mission. Every 10 levels or so, I did a half dozen heroics for gear, I only used the blue gear from heroic mission reward boxes, and green mods from the fleet vendors in MH/OH.

I hit level 65 before I finished my second chapter.

Yes, the gains are wonderful for your 10th toon, but downright silly for your 2nd.

The "intended" leveling speed is just doing purple missions - class and planetary. Do "optional" content and you get ahead of the curve. Level sync ameliorates doing extra content to some extent.

To be honest, though, I'm levelling a BH that's the mirror AC of my 65 Trooper, and playing through without the critical parts of the rotation is annoying me. I had set myself the task of staying on the levelling curve, but about L35 or so I got fed up with not having the timing boosts (priming shot, mainly, which feeds into accelerating everything else), that I picked up the entire set of heroics for the planet I'm currently on just to get to that point. I have another character I'm levelling (SInq), and I'm basically rushing to 65 so I can just gear out once more, set up my final rotation in bars, and just do the story (new story to me), without having to remember what I added since the last time I played. So much of a class's endgame rotation comes together in the last 10-15 levels now that I feel delaying levelling is actively harmful to learning how your character plays.

Now that the XP boost is over, my latest character finished the class story at lvl 47. Just concentrating on the class missions and doing H2s when in need to upgrade armor or at the end to get the level needed to complete the class, lvl 46 barely dent a gold lvl 50.

The "intended" leveling speed is just doing purple missions - class and planetary. Do "optional" content and you get ahead of the curve. Level sync ameliorates doing extra content to some extent.

Yes, but my experience has been otherwise...

Even just doing class missions, there is too much XP for that path...

I haven't done a purple planetary mission in years, before or after 4.0 (been here for 4 years, did them all multiple times a long time ago).

I still hit level 65 before class missions are over, in two cases, before chapter 2 was over.

GSF/WZ/Heroics pay way too many XP all things considered, and class missions could probably use with 25% reduction.

That being said, disclaimer... I have the guild XP boost, I'm a sub, I unlock the legacy XP boosts, and I often use a 25% XP boost as well. But anyone can do that, nothing there is special.

---

Idea: Instead of over leveling planets, what if XP beyond what you needed for your level was converted to credits? Or something else useful? As it stands, once you ding level 65, it no longer feels like you're making progress because many missions give you nothing, or a token amount of credits that are not worth the effort.

A class mission might give 10,000 credits, but a heroic on the same planet gives 30,000 credits. Yea, yea, "heroic", but it really isn't, being no harder than the class mission and actually paying FAR better since it gives you a legacy bound alliance box.

Maybe have planet and class missions give legacy alliance boxes at lvl 61+ like heroics do?

GSF/WZ/Heroics pay way too many XP all things considered, and class missions could probably use with 25% reduction.

That being said, disclaimer... I have the guild XP boost, I'm a sub, I unlock the legacy XP boosts, and I often use a 25% XP boost as well. But anyone can do that, nothing there is special.

I

You're using optional boosts and doing optional content. Of course you're levelling faster than the curve. The curve is set for subs without any boosts, and without doing ANYTHING that isn't a purple mission; not just skipping the "exploration" missions. (For that matter, though the "story" FPs are flagged purple, doing them will put you above the curve, because of the insane XP gains from even story-mode FPs

Idea: Instead of over leveling planets, what if XP beyond what you needed for your level was converted to credits? Or something else useful? As it stands, once you ding level 65, it no longer feels like you're making progress because many missions give you nothing, or a token amount of credits that are not worth the effort.

A class mission might give 10,000 credits, but a heroic on the same planet gives 30,000 credits. Yea, yea, "heroic", but it really isn't, being no harder than the class mission and actually paying FAR better since it gives you a legacy bound alliance box.

Maybe have planet and class missions give legacy alliance boxes at lvl 61+ like heroics do?

This would be freakin' awesome! Yes! It would be a wonderful thing for there to be a choice of XP or credits each time a mission completion box popped up. For characters that were not max level yet, receiving experience remains inevitable (e.g., this is not the same thing as being able to turn off experience gain) through mob kills, exploration, etc., so the character is still going to level up.

The difference is that the player has a lot more control over how fast the leveling occurs as well as having some incentive to participate in side content that they may have otherwise long written off.

Edited by -Wes-