A few questions

bobflarg

Hello there SWTOR community. I am new to this game but a vet of mmo's. So far I am loving this game and even bought myself a 2 month sub cause I am enjoying it so much. Right now I am leveling my first character and have a couple of quick questions.

1. Looking around I found things that said to spend data crystals on orange armor(I've also seen threads that say commendations). I did this and the armor and weapons are already being outdone by quest rewards. I don't have enough data crystals to buy new mods to put in my stuff. Is this correct? Should I have saved my crystals and just gone with quest rewards the whole time? Did I buy the wrong stuff? Any help on leveling gear would be appreciated.

2. With my sub I received 2 crates of gear. There was an ace pilots set and something else(the name eludes me right now). It was not very good gear. It's in my vault. What is this stuff for? Is it purely cosmetic?

3. Last question. In the Cartel Store there are 3 unlock packs that are geared for new players. Are any of them worth getting? Or should I just not bother and enjoy the game?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if these have been asked before. I have never had much luck searching through forums for answers. :)

1. Stay with the quest rewards at low level.

2. The reason why it's not very good is because they are empty shells. You can put mods in them. And as they are Legacy Bound, you can also give them to your other characters on that server (when/if you get some).

3. The Preferred Access Bundle caters to preferred players, rather than subs. So you can skip it. From the others, I'd get Rocket Boost only. But check your Legacy perks to see if the Legacy Unlocks are for you. Or how quickly you want access to a speeder.

Edited by Dragondog

Going Places bundle is the only 1 I would think about, for the Rocket Boots, and when you can the Legacy unlocks to decrease the cool down

The shells are just that, they can be customised for common data crystals, from the vendors on Fleet in the supplies section, but for now doing the Heroics gives better gear, but each crate is random, so may take more that 4 to get a full set

Hello there SWTOR community. I am new to this game but a vet of mmo's. So far I am loving this game and even bought myself a 2 month sub cause I am enjoying it so much. Right now I am leveling my first character and have a couple of quick questions.

1. Looking around I found things that said to spend data crystals on orange armor(I've also seen threads that say commendations). I did this and the armor and weapons are already being outdone by quest rewards. I don't have enough data crystals to buy new mods to put in my stuff. Is this correct? Should I have saved my crystals and just gone with quest rewards the whole time? Did I buy the wrong stuff? Any help on leveling gear would be appreciated.

No, you did not buy the wrong stuff. What you need to do is spend your data crystals on new modifications to put in that gear, to keep it close(ish) to your character's level. It takes 50 data crystals to buy enough modifications to replace all the modifications in your gear (every modable armor piece, plus mainhand and offhand items). Early on, they may be a bit scarce, but eventually you should have more than enough crystals to do this whenever you need to upgrade. This will especially be true if you always take the 12 crystals when offered as a class mission reward.

An alternative to using crystals is to do the planetary heroic missions. Go to the terminal on the fleet, and pick up the ones for your starter planet, and run those. Each one will give you a box with two pieces of "blue" gear, appropriate to your actual character level (not your "shifted" level for the heroic). After the starter planet, do the heroics for your faction's capital planet, and then continue on, working through the planets in level order (not the order they are in the terminal). The pieces you get are random, so you probably will need to do at least a few planets' worth of heroics to get all or at least most of your gear upgraded that way. As a bonus you'll get some additional data crystals, which you can use to upgrade the modifications in the gear you don't manage to upgrade with "blue" gear.

As for commendations, that is old info. You don't get any commendations as mission rewards, anymore. Commendations went through a number of overhauls since the game launched, the most recent being getting their name (and loot icons) changed from "commendations" to "data crystals".

2. With my sub I received 2 crates of gear. There was an ace pilots set and something else(the name eludes me right now). It was not very good gear. It's in my vault. What is this stuff for? Is it purely cosmetic?
It's "not very good" gear, because it's just empty shells. Take it to the fleet and buy modifications for it, put them in and it will be just fine. And then upgrade it from time to time as you level. Or you could use it in one of your outfit designer tabs, as a cosmetic outfit. Or both. I personally think the stuff is gawdawful uglly, so I just dumped the crates in my cargo hold and never bother opening them. More recently, I don't even bother collecting them from the mail, I just grab the title(s) or whatever else is attached to that email.

3. Last question. In the Cartel Store there are 3 unlock packs that are geared for new players. Are any of them worth getting? Or should I just not bother and enjoy the game?
Some of the stuff is useful for a new player. The main thing to look at is whether the unlocks are only for a single character, or whether they apply to your entire account. IMO, single-character unlocks are a waste of coins, in the long run. Example: if you click the "buy more storage" button on your inventory window, you can spend credits to unlock one row of inventory slots for that character. Or you can spend cartel coins to unlock that row for every character on your account, on every server, both current ones, plus any you make in the future. And the price to unlock another row with coins stays the same, no matter how many you unlock, all the way to getting all of them unlocked. With credits, not only do you pay more every time you unlock another row, but the cost goes up pretty quickly. And iirc, if you use the unlock from the bundle to unlock one row, the credit cost for the next is the same, higher cost as if you unlocked the prior row with credits.

Some of the other stuff in the bundles is pretty worthless for a subscriber, as it gives you "access" to stuff you already get for subscribing. Then again, if you are not planning to stay subscribed past 2 months, it might be worth getting one or more of the bundles, and hanging on to the unlocks you don't need right now, so you can unlock and keep some of the features you will lose when your account drops from subscriber to preferred.

Just to add to what's already been said:

1. Since you already have crates of gear you mentioned in #2, you don't need to spend any crystals to buy the orange gear - just use the stuff in the crates. Use the crystals to buy mods for the orange gear.

2. The gear in those crates is empty orange shells. You can use them as your base armor and use credits or crystals to buy mods (armoring, mod, enhancement, barrel/hilt) to go in them.

3. I dunno.

The easiest thing to do while levelling is to use a combination of orange gear and whatever you get as drops or rewards. If, for example, you get a piece of gear as a drop, that has better stats than the piece you are wearing, just substitute it temporarily until you get around to upgrading the mods on your orange gear.

Blue mods can be bought on the fleet for crystals. Green (lower stat) mods can be bought from Modification Vendors in the main center of many planets, for credits.

If you are concerned about your "look" - most of that crate gear is uuugggly - you can put whatever pieces you like into your outfit for the look and then freely swap the base pieces without worrying about looks, or colours, or whatever.

TIP - you can right click on those crates, and when the list of contents shows up, you don't need to extract all the pieces. You can just extract the pieces you want/need (right-click) and then click on the "x" in the upper right to re-close the crate. (I've done this many times because there is a "wrists" item in one of those crates, that I like the look of on some characters.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.