Reasons for constant downloads/lag?

Muyamedna

Every single time I boot up this game, there are updates that seem to happen from nowhere and it lags my connection. I can be in game with NOTHING running but Mumble to talk with friends and the same thing happens.

What is running in the background of SW:ToR that causes updates to the game to happen CONSTANTLY to the point I literally have to reset my modem or restart my computer to get the lag to stop.

Is it because the launcher doesn't close properly or something? Can I turn that off in the launcher options file?

Edited by Muyamedna

Are you certain it is swtor downloading ? most issues with connections occur with flooding of the upload not the download but flooded download would also be noticed, if the game is fully completed there should only be game play data

run a clean boot per here but leave the bitraider services enabled and see if it persists

I guess cant hurt to run malwarebytes just in case.

Are you certain it is swtor downloading ? most issues with connections occur with flooding of the upload not the download but flooded download would also be noticed, if the game is fully completed there should only be game play data

run a clean boot per here but leave the bitraider services enabled and see if it persists

I guess cant hurt to run malwarebytes just in case.

It's SW:ToR. 100% positive it's the game. I was online for about an hour farting around online and had no problems. The literal SECOND I launched the game, my latency on Mumble spiked to 3 times the norm and in game NEVER gets above 3 bars.

Edit - Doing a clean boot literally freezes the launcher in "Installing...." and a red progress bar that says "Updating." I've been waiting for 5 minutes and nothing has happened at all.

Edited by Muyamedna

that just tells me that there is a ping issue when you start the game, disable bitraider per here initially and see if it persists (this is a big download)

if you have the ability to try a different adapter it is worthwhile, and if wireless shifting to a wired connection for testing

Edited by OwenBrooks

that just tells me that there is a ping issue when you start the game, disable bitraider per here initially and see if it persists (this is a big download)

if you have the ability to try a different adapter it is worthwhile, and if wireless shifting to a wired connection for testing

The thing is, it isn't just ping. Part of the connection is being eaten as well. No one else is on the line at all save me. I'm the only one home.

Trying your disabling BitRaider thing, but it's downloading some movies and we'll see if this fixes anything. I didn't like the way BitRaider messed with the launcher anyway...so if this works, it'll be doubly awesome.

this is just thoughts but the way tcpip works is if there is errors it resends the side affect of this if enough of a rate occurs is that the ping will climb

same if the either the upload or download rate congests , side affect is a ping climb

its a matter of elimination now , so see how the bitraider disabled goes , if it helps great if not need to move on to elimination.

hence why one thing to try if wireless is to see if it persists with a direct wired connection

edit - issues like this is best posted here , there is no help normally in this forum

Edited by OwenBrooks

this is just thoughts but the way tcpip works is if there is errors it resends the side affect of this if enough of a rate occurs is that the ping will climb

same if the either the upload or download rate congests , side affect is a ping climb

its a matter of elimination now , so see how the bitraider disabled goes , if it helps great if not need to move on to elimination.

hence why one thing to try if wireless is to see if it persists with a direct wired connection

Ah, sorry I didn't say it in the last post, I'm on a wired connection. So yea, we'll see in just a bit what happens. Also, I didn't like BR due to the fact that it seemed to seriously throttle down my speeds when I tried to download the game initially. It never broke 500 kb/s and it took 4 days while downloading probably close to 8-10 hours a day to FINALLY finish the game.

Edited by Muyamedna

Ah, sorry I didn't say it in the last post, I'm on a wired connection. So yea, we'll see in just a bit what happens.

I have seen network adapters fall over like above but normally it wont stop at just a ping increase , it would normally fall over totally though so unlikely.

hopefully something is not liking bitraider , could even be av or firewall packet inspection if it didn't recognise the bitraider files related to swtor, so if only launcher.exe and swtor.exe are in the exception lists.

these are all just thoughts , so see what occurs once the game is back without bitraider in the mix

Edited by OwenBrooks

There is some downloading still involved to switch so there is likely more then you think

I gather the download rate has improved over bitraider ?

Yes, I'm working on movie #3. And it's looking like maybe another 2-3 movies left. And yes, the download rate has gone up to what it normally is on Steam and any other non-throttled download.

Well it seems like the asset transfer in the guide didn't work....I'll see how it works when I get home tomorrow from work, if it's done by then. Gonna get some sleep since I have to be back at work at 6 am.

Edited by Muyamedna