The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why not let us just purchase races directly in character creation?

Vendettus

There I sit, making a new character and it hits me: I'm going to make a (insert class here) and he's going to be a (insert race here) for a fun twist on it. Oh, but I haven't unlocked that race yet... well that's okay I'll just go ahead and hit the cartel symbol here and... wait it's opening a new page on my browser? Okay, great I'll purchase it there. Oh.. I can't purchase it there? So I need to unlock it with a totally different character I've already been playing for.. reasons? Why?

Honestly, just let us use our cartel coins directly in character creation to unlock a different race to play!

I don't see why you feel this is such an inconvenience.

Because any amount of loading screens between me and a purchase means I'm simply not going to purchase it. Convenience has always been a driving factor is sales, I would imagine any company would be eager to make purchasing their products as simple as possible.

I would imagine any company would be eager to make purchasing their products as simple as possible.

Not if that company feels that making things as convenient as possible is not worth the resources it would take to make the changes.

How many things from the CM can be purchased without being logged in to an already existing character?

The legacy unlock for a species is an item that has to be consumed by an existing character, so how can that happen before the character is created?

Would logging in to one of your existing characters and purchasing the unlock really take you that much more time and energy than visiting the forums and complaining about something so petty?

Edited by Unchosen

Would logging in to one of your existing characters and purchasing the unlock really take you that much more time and energy than visiting the forums and complaining about something so petty?

Nope. It also gives me a chance to see that I'm right next to the Galactic Trade Network, maybe I'll just see if I have enough credits to... yes! I bought what I wanted with credits, now BioWare doesn't get the extra money I would have paid five minutes before. Oh well, too bad for them.

Nope. It also gives me a chance to see that I'm right next to the Galactic Trade Network, maybe I'll just see if I have enough credits to... yes! I bought what I wanted with credits, now BioWare doesn't get the extra money I would have paid five minutes before. Oh well, too bad for them.

Wait, so now you realize that logging in to an existing character and enduring the pain of loading screens isn't so bad after all?

It does not matter to BioWare if you buy the CM item directly or if someone else buys the item directly and then sells it to you for credits.

They still get paid.

When more players buy CM items from the GTN it encourages more players to buy more CM items and sell them on the GTN.

I think that's good for the game and all it's players.

Edited by JediRelentless

I don't see why you feel this is such an inconvenience.

It's not so much an inconvenience as it is a lack of foresight on BW's part. If you log in another character you may very well find something else to do, change your mind etc. Give them the option while they want to spend the coins. The customer leaves character creation happy and BW gets $. That makes EA happy (if that's possible).

Edited by Keta

Don't you have to log in to get EVERY type of unlock for character creation? Whether it be insta-60, race unlock, or character slot?

The reasoning is because they are utilizing items to do this. People sell the items, rather than use them, but you can't physically use the item if you aren't logged in to use it. Consider it an extra layer of security. :D