How Well Will This Rig Run SWTOR?

orangepoptart

Hi, I'm just curious to figure out what graphics settings a rig like this could run swtor at consistently.

Processor: AMD FX-4300 CPU (4x 3.80GHz/4MB L2 Cache)

Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1866 Memory Module [AMD] - G.SKILL Ripjaws X

Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 - 2GB [FREE Upgrade to GTX950 2GB]

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 -- AMD 970 w/ 2x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.0, 6x USB 2.0

Power Supply: 600 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze

Primary Hard Drive: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Operating System: Windows 10

So what kind of settings do you think this rig will get?

I'll be unhelpful, and point out that you can set the graphics level to whatever you like, on any machine. Of course, if you set them too high, the frame rate and general lagginess will be too much to bear, but...

That said, I'll add that with the checkered history of the game engine in SWTOR, you may find it doesn't do as well as you might think. I'll leave it to other folks to suggest usable combinations of target frame rate and graphics settings.

I read time and time again that this game is:

(a) poorly coded

(b) CPU dependent (vs. vidcard)

© runs better on Intel than AMD CPU's, so that might be an issue to some extent.

Key with any is to turn off Shadows and Bloom.

I have a 750 GTX Ti, and an Intel I5, and I can generally run everything else near high (I turn AA off or low), 1920x1080 and typically get 40-60 FPS. But sometimes it will still get annoyingly jerky. Not sure what you'll get with the AMD.

The rig you've posted will more than suffice for casual levelling / exploring of the SWTOR universe.

You will find that, the cpu you are using will struggle with Warzones (PvP) and possibly 8man operations.

It will 100% struggle in 16man operations (This is fact for almost all players of SWTOR, not just you and your set up)

The GPU you have is equipped enough to run on some nice settings.

I recommend:

Texture quality - High. Shader complexity - Low. Anti Aliasing - Off (You can try medium but if it jutters while running around then turn it off)

Character level of detail - High. Texture Anisotropy - Medium. Character texture aliasing - Optional.

Visible character limit - Low. Shadow quality - Low. Tree and Grass quality is optional for you, but you may find it best to keep the grass option a lower value when in areas populated with large fields ie: Alderaan,

Your CPU is a strong CPU, but not the best and is, classed as a "lower end" CPU. Despite it having 4 cores, SWTOR will not use all of them. However, it will be more than enough for running the game while levelling and exploring as mentioned earlier.

Have fun playing! I hope I helped!

Processor: AMD FX-4300 CPU (4x 3.80GHz/4MB L2 Cache)

Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 - 2GB [FREE Upgrade to GTX950 2GB]

MMOs in general are very CPU dependant. Even with the best CPU you will get fps drops in Warzones and OPs, and other busy areas, but with a good enough CPU it will still be playable.

The FX-4300 is the low end of the FX line. You will find that you will get fps drops even in crowded areas like the Fleet, or Odessen when they're busy. Warzones and OPs will be practically a slide show. Normal, out & about PvE should be fine though.

One good thing is that there's lots of upgrade potential to later go to a better FX CPU such as the FX-8370.

Go for the GTX-950 upgrade. The 950 is a fair amount better than the 750 and the 600watt power supply means that you don't need to worry about power draw. You should be able to get fairly high graphics settings (1920x1080 or less), just keep the Shadows low, and AA and Bloom off.

--------------------------------

I read time and time again that this game is:

(a) poorly coded

(b) CPU dependent (vs. vidcard)

© runs better on Intel than AMD CPU's

(a) the game is not "poorly coded". That's mostly noise from people who have no experience with programming. The engine in SWTOR could probably use a bit of tweaking, but that would only ever get you a few fps at best.

(b) Almost all MMOs are CPU dependant. This is mainly because of all the extra variables that have to be accounted for, versus a single player game.

© It's not so much that the game runs better on Intel CPUs - it's more a matter of AMD CPU's not having the processing power of Intel CPUs (at this time). Any low-end CPU - AMD or Intel - is going to struggle with an MMO.

I'm going to reiterate what some of the others have said. If you are building a gaming rig, stick with Intel. I have had AMD processors in the past and they were great, no issues at all. A few years back I switched to an Intel i5 3570k, put a decent fan on it, and have been running at 4000 MHz (3400 stock) ever since. This is still the CPU I have now and it has handled everything that I have thrown at it.

Spend the extra money, it's going to outlast an AMD chip two or more times over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.