WI-FI effecting games performance.

offrame

Hello, so I have this weird issue

I play swtor on my laptop and in PVE it goes ultra settings 60fps smooth

it drops greatly in PVP battlegrounds to 20-30 or arround 40 if playing 4v4

It only happens if I play using WI-FI connection, then I try to connect ethernet cable, everything is fine and FPS is much better, same thing happens with my dekstop PC if I use WIFI adapter

Maybe someone has a solution to this? I cannot use ethernet cable most of the time.

Laptop specs are

i7 4720hq

GTX 950m 2gb GDDR5

8GB DDR3 RAM

Windows 10(64bit) and it doesnt matter what OS it is, tried windows 7 64b bit also

Edited by offrame

The only things you can look at with wifi depends on your setup.

if dual adapter and router , all you can try is things like swap between 2.4 and 5 Ghz , try different channels and adjust the channel bandwidth from say 80 , 40 , 20 MHz and see what if any affect.

And lastly turn off any powersaving features in the adapter

The only things you can look at with wifi depends on your setup.

if dual adapter and router , all you can try is things like swap between 2.4 and 5 Ghz , try different channels and adjust the channel bandwidth from say 80 , 40 , 20 MHz and see what if any affect.

And lastly turn off any powersaving features in the adapter

Thank you, I changed WI-FI setting on laptop to "Maximum Performance"

It didn't help on desktop WI-FI adapter though, probably because that thing is damn cheap, still now my laptop has solid 60fps on warzones instead of 20-30 so I call this a major fix for me.

Also never saw a game where my WI-FI adapter would effect performance so badly...weird

Glad you found improvement at least with the laptop , interesting you say the wifi affected fps in warzone , first I have heard of that , was this the same warzone map in both cases ?

I have tried:

Alderaan

Voidstar

The Ancient Hypergate

they all had 20-30fps and sometimes for a brief moment it goes to extreme 15fps or jumps to smooth 60fps

Only 4v4 maps were playable

Also what I noticed is that CPU,GPU usage readings didn't make any sense, CPU was at 30-40% and GPU always bellow 50% usage

I actually encountered something similar with another MMO, "Tera" there also similar issues occurred, and no change in graphics setting helped to fix it.

It seems that game engine refuses to render frames if there is some mysterious trouble with adapter or internet connection.

P.S My latency was the same before and after I got this fixed.

Edited by offrame