The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

And the Academy Award for best Costuming goes to ....

annabethchase

The Force Awakens in a landslide. One of the most enduring memories people have of Star Wars is the iconic costumes. Whether we're talking Lightsabers, Jedi Robes, Metal Bikini's, or Darth Vader everyone has strong connections to these outfits. 7 movies and several cartoons into the franchise, I wasn't really expecting much groundbreaking work in this area. Boy was I wrong. I present the top 5 achievements in costuming for TFA:

5. Kylo Ren - He has really two things going, a mix of traditional Sith garb and Darth Vaderish mask to go along with the cross guard lightsaber. Overall, it creates the new iconic look for a Knight of Ren. To prove how attached many already are to this look, think of all the blowback when he took the mask off revealing his true look. Clearly people like the mystery knight look

4. Captian Phasma - Ok the only reason this character works is the incredible chrome trooper look. This is to me the pinnacle of Storm Trooper looks. Hoping for more out of this character moving forward

3. General Hux - Is there any better way to get you to hate a villain than to create a sleek new take on Nazi outfits? Would we even remember his name if he wasn't well dressed?

2. Rey's signature arm sleves - So at first I thought her desert garb would just be her initial outfit. However near the end she is given a new outfit that is quite classy but also retains the signature arm sleeves. I think this will be key to creating a variety of Rey looks without losing that one special touch that carries over. Very creative. Also, how adorable was the scene where she put on the Rebel Pilot helmet?

1. Poe's Jacket - ok, I really want this jacket. Please take my money on the high quality version of this one. What better way to create an iconic new piece than to have not 1, not 2 but 3 main heroes all take turns wearing this piece. I could see this becoming the next "I have a bad feeling about this" and showing up in unexpected places throughout the trilogy. And showing up in a million convention outfits :)