Possible Solution to crashing to desktop on minimap hover, etc.

BaqirZulfiqar

Before I begin here's my specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard

Intel i5-4590 processor

16GB of RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 video card

Intel HD Graphics 4600

DirectX 12

Two monitors (important).

Main monitor is an HDTV connected via HDMI cable with resolution of 1920 x 1080

Secondary Monitor is a Samsung monitor connected to my nvidia card with resolution of 1280 x 1024

So I've had this issue since building my brand new computer not barely a week ago, and when in-game upon hovering over the minimap icons (specifically the spinning one), or opening the large map and hovering on the icons there, or the quest names on the right hand side of the map, my game would instantly crash to desktop. This was something I could thankfully (for tech support purposes) recreate consistently each time. I scoured the internet for a solution to no avail which lead me to finally calling customer support to get help. The first agent helped walk through the initial solution attempts, without success to fixing the issue, and then I was able to be escalated to the higher tech support.

I was on the phone for an hour with the escalated tech support agent Raith (THANK YOU RAITH!) trying to wrack our brains on a solution. Short of uninstalling the game entirely and re-installing it, we went through every conceivable solution or fix to no avail. Lastly before we hung up, he had me delete some of the folders in the game directory to force the game to re-install them (namely the Assets folder, the swtor folder, bitraider and Movies folder), then I logged back into the launcher to begin the long process of re-downloading those parts of the game (which lasted all evening).

In the morning before work I tried to log in and test if it fixed itself with that process, but was met with another depressing CTD. I remember one thing Raith told me about my graphics card might be the thing that is the lynchpin. That because my computer is using the onboard graphics instead of the shiny new installed Nvidia graphics card that that might be part of the problem. So I did a little thinking and fiddled with some settings in the nvidia control panel, tested the game again and crashed once more.

Frustrated again, I thought about how to disable the onboard entirely, and then I read something about plugging in your monitor directly into the graphics card to force it to be used, and realizing my computer set up, my crummy secondary monitor was the one currently hooked into my graphics card while my HDTV was HDMI'd onto my onboard. I then realized that since I play the game on my main monitor, there's no way my monitor or game could use the graphics card solely.

So I switched the displays to make my secondary monitor now my main monitor instead and i spooled up the game again, hovered over the minimap and NO CRASH OCCURRED!

I need to get an HDMI > VGA adapter to try out my main monitor tomorrow, but I will post my results when I do. But so far this is great news as I think I finally solved this horrible issue!

_________

tl;dr: If you run two monitors, hook your game-playing monitor directly into your graphics card instead of the mobo. That way the game hauls on only your shiny graphics card and not the onboard! :D (Also make sure to disable Cortana if you're a Windows 10 user)

Again a special shout-out to my tech support agent Raith for helping me out and being so patient with this vexing issue! You're a life saver! :)

Edited by BaqirZulfiqar