The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT Boss Tanking

xenodein

Are you guys finding yourselves losing aggro on bosses? I use a rotation very similar to that posted http://www.forcejunkies.com/2011/12/23/the-powertech-compendium. Trash is usually not a problem, but it seems like I'm losing dropping aggro more than I should be during a boss fight. This becomes very apparent on hard modes too where there are enrage timers. I can only generate so much threat before I'm overheated, and a high dps class like sorcs are constantly pulling off me and I'm using taunt constantly. Some of these fights we are barely beating and if we do, the enrage timer goes off before the kill.

I'm not sure if most of these fights have aggro drops, or if I'm just straight up losing it. I use taunt constantly on boss fights. To make matters worse, bosses that stun or knockback, I almost always am guaranteed to lose threat before I start attacking again.

One gripe I have is that we don't to be a high threat ability similar to a mocking blow that warriors have in WoW, that will help get aggro back without have to blow a taunt.

Hard modes are tough since I am still pretty undergeared, but I am either doing something wrong or there are PT abilities need to generate more threat.

edit: are people using flamethrower in their rotation? I haven't been cause of of channeling

Edited by xenodein

The rotation posted in the article is missing a few things like ElectroDart on both single and multi Target.

Generally i see our single target rotation as a priority system as follows

Over 29 heat and heat blast up? -> Heat blast

Over 29 heat? -> rapid shots

Rocket punch up? -> Rocket punch

Over 25 heat and heat blast up? -> heat blast

Over 23 heat? -> rapid shots

Rail shot up? -> rail shot

explosive dart up? explosive dart

over 18 heat? -> rapid shots

under 18 heat? -> flame burst

At the beginning of a boss fight burst up to 60 head and vent. get back up to around 40 and use TSO + flamethrower (unless the boss will interrupt it)

You can definitely further refine this rotation if you are keeping track of one of the following pieces of information.

- Your internal cooldown on rocket punch refresh.

- Your internal cooldown on heat vent from blocking.

- Whether you will have 1 or 2 heat reduction ticks between GCDs.

Edited by suleri

Its never a trash issue, always a boss issue. I haven't used thrower since early on, maybe I should throw that into rotation then

I always use Flamethrower whenever it's available, heat dependant. I never have threat issues except for the odd occasion where dps goes mental on a group i've had 1 second of threat on.

i have no issues keeping aggro when tanking so far...only problems are groups of 4 or more elites in hardmodes...those can get tricky ... theres allways one guy in there that will go for the healer ...

flamethrower when heat alows and save taunt and aoe taunt for when you actually need them.