The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Add Voss as a playable race

Effec

As others have said, Voss are really tall:

This is my BT 2 character standing next to a female voss. As you can see, the top of her head only comes up to a female voss shoulders.

This is my BT 2 standing next to a male voss. As with the female, again the top of her head comes up to his shoulder, her shoulders are even with his elbows...

That not even counting how it would make -zero- sense storywise for you to be voss, especially when you go to voss. They didnt even bother making it so Jorgan recognises other Cathar as Cathar, you honestly think they will change it so every Voss on Voss doesnt treat your player voss as non voss like they do now?

Vector Hylus and Lord Scourge have been wearing bras for FOUR years now, them bothering to fix that has no end in sight, them doing all the work needed for playable voss to make sense just storywise? it will never happen :p

Final point: Voss are not only very tall, but very slender as well, they would have to make new armor meshes for at least the female voss as well since there isnt an existing -character- female body type like theirs, im sure some might suggest just doing the ghetto stretch them out idea, but that will most likely cause all kinds of clipping/tearing problems.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

That not even counting how it would make -zero- sense storywise for you to be voss, especially when you go to voss. They didnt even bother making it so Jorgan recognises other Cathar as Cathar, you honestly think they will change it so every Voss on Voss doesnt treat your player voss as non voss like they do now?

If you play an Imperial Cathar, when you get to Taris, you still get treated like you don't even know what a Cathar is. So it's not like there's no precedent.

Mind you, that's not much of an excuse.

Oh boy, an "I want to play as a Voss" thread, that's original and refreshing.

Voss being made playable in this game is the same as WoW making ogres, naga, murlocs, etc. playable: not happening.

• For starters, a major part of the race is that they're so distant from everyone else that they can't be loyal to either the Republic or the Empire. Since they've never been part of either faction before the player came to their planet, it would be jarring to hear them suddenly having dropped their alien way of speaking and adopted an Imperial accent in its place, nevermind the sheer absurdity of the Inquisitor being a slave when Voss aren't born in Imperial space.
  • The Voss are already a faction in-game, and they see the player as an outsider. There are NPCs that explain to you what a Cathar is even if you are one because Cathar were made playable post-launch; if the player was a Voss, it would be that turned up to eleven.
  • Visually, the Voss are glorified Rattataki with even less difference between them, as they suffered the ignominy of having only two different appearances; males are blue with red eyes, females are red with blue eyes, and they have no difference in markings between members. This is in contrast to Devaronian, Nautolan and Chagrian NPCs, who have varying skin tones.

The devs recently said they really like the Voss but the problem is the Voss are much taller than the playable body types in the game.

Huh I did not know that, that the devs said that I must of missed it, well that's a shame that it isn't possible to put them in the game because of that but oh well its not like its the end of the world and there is still tons of interesting (humanoid) races out there that could/might become playable

I'm guessing you were a body type 3. The average Voss is a good deal taller than the type 2 "average" male body.

i think thats just looking for excuses, i doubt ppl will cry about their voss being too short rather than not having an option. anyway star wars world is huge yet we have so very few races to pick from. nautolans, voss should be long time ago in game as playable race. even kel'dor since i belive they speak basic too? perhaps some bothans and nemoidans as well, weequay... so many models are already in game they could use.

If you play an Imperial Cathar, when you get to Taris, you still get treated like you don't even know what a Cathar is. So it's not like there's no precedent.

Mind you, that's not much of an excuse.

For Cathar Troopers and Smugglers, this happens much sooner: on Ord Mantell, at the beginning of the Stolen Medicines quest, the questgiver explains carefully what a Cathar is, and he does this for everyone, even Cathar.

Also problematic is the poor Rattataki IA:

* Darth Jadus asks you to see him in his apartment on DK. His guards say that the Rattataki must wait outside. The game doesn't offer "Which one?", nor "Both of us?", nor "Go ahead Kaliyo, I'll wait for you here." as options.

* During one of the early companion conversations with Kaliyo, she tells you about her early life on Rattatak, and it is phrased as if your character wouldn't know anything about Rattatak, just like the Stolen Medicines guy talks to your Cathar as if he wouldn't know what a Cathar is.

* Just before she joins you as a guest companion, Temple talks to you about "the Rattataki", even though she means "Kaliyo" and not "You Mr Agent". Again, there's no "which one" type option.

• 5 months later...

I see no broblem with why they shouldn't be added.

The playable tagrutas are quite a bit different than the NPC's

So even if the playable Voss are shorter than the NPC's is not a game braker (or even if they are more customizable)

So it's basically that the devs are too lazy to make something more unique.

I see no broblem with why they shouldn't be added.

The playable tagrutas are quite a bit different than the NPC's

So even if the playable Voss are shorter than the NPC's is not a game braker (or even if they are more customizable)

So it's basically that the devs are too lazy to make something more unique.

Or rephrase that a little. Every class has dialogue where you are dispatched to Voss for the next step after you finish Belsavis. In all cases, the NPC who gives you the information says something that would be total nonsense if he were saying it to a Voss. Every class story, and both factions' planetary arc, and probably some of the exploration and other side quests, features a non-zero amount of dialogue that says "you are an outsider" or "you are not Voss", or someone trying to prevent you from entering some place or doing some thing, all because only Voss are allowed to be there or do that. Every one of those dialogues (especially "you are not Voss" types) would have to be reworked.

For Cathar that *should* have happened for a few cases on Taris and Ord Mantell (Stolen Medicines should have featured the guy remarking that the sleeper saw what looked like a Cathar and saying nothing else, or maybe "and I guess you know all about Cathar" or some such), and there was none of it at all needed for introducing the Togruta. For Voss NPCs almost all dialogues on and around Voss would have to be reworked (or at least checked), as would your conversations with Sana-Rae.

Deciding to not do that is about cost, not about laziness.