Please add "Base Unmodded Stats" to armor tooltip info

CrashDivide

Seriously. Unless I'm totally missing something, there's no way to know if a piece of gear in a shop, or one you just found, would be better than what you're wearing if you put the mods you have on your armor into them unless you actually take the mods out and put them in. And since high level mods cost a crapton to remove, it's just not worth it to check, especially if it turn out it's NOT better, then you have to pay to remove them AGAIN to put them back in.

Example:

Blood-stained Boots from the Dark Side vendor.

16 armor (rating 6)

no mods in it.

Awesome, might be pretty cool, right?

What I'm wearing at the moment:

Corpsman Elite Upgrade Boots

287 Armor (rating 78)

Armoring (36)

+15 Aim

+18 Endurance

....ok? What's my boots' base armor? What if it's lower than rating 6? Or higher? How would I know unless I remove my mod? Well, that costs 9k. Not gonna do that potentially for nothing.

If they just added a "Base Armor Rating (6)" or something, that'd be awesome.

Again, unless I'm totally missing something.

I might be completely wrong here, but if they item is orange, the only stat it has is the base armor based on the armor type (heavy, medium, light) so any piece of orange armor is equal to any other piece of orange armor of the same armor type with no mods in it.

I might be completely wrong here, but if they item is orange, the only stat it has is the base armor based on the armor type (heavy, medium, light) so any piece of orange armor is equal to any other piece of orange armor of the same armor type with no mods in it.

Also think it works this way , and it gets higher tiers based on the lvl of the mods you add to it, i believe at least.

So all orange heavy armor starts the same? I thought this might have been the case, and asked someone in game and they couldn't give me an answer.

I've seen two pieces of medium orange armor that had different base ratings without mods. I had to leave to go out of town so didn't have time to further investigate them as I received right near when I had to log off. It's possible it was just a display bug with the description.

EDIT: Ok, just looked up some gear on torhead.com and here's what I found. Comparing two orange leg pieces for heavy armor, there are different base ratings:

Professional's Greaves - heavy armor, no mods, all slots open (also open augment slot), requires level 11 to equip, 190 armor (36 rating), 120 durability

Huttese Hunter's Greaves - heavy armor, no mods, all slots open (also open augment slot), requires level 7 to equip, 141 armor (28 rating), 120 durability

So it would appear that all orange gear is not created equal.

Edited by JimG

Yes, there is no difference.

An orange item that you get at level 5 with mods A, B and C in it will have the exact same stats as an orange item you get at level 50 with mods A, B and C. Stats on orange gear are decided 100% by the mods.

So an orange chest piece you find at level say, 14, could be the same stats as one you find at level 50, if you have the same mods in it?

I admit i never stop to actually test it , but that is what people say.

You got me thinking about this , next time i log in i will test it with mine orange gear , i got plenty of different lvls , so it should be an easy test.

Seriously. Unless I'm totally missing something, there's no way to know if a piece of gear in a shop, or one you just found, would be better than what you're wearing if you put the mods you have on your armor into them unless you actually take the mods out and put them in. And since high level mods cost a crapton to remove, it's just not worth it to check, especially if it turn out it's NOT better, then you have to pay to remove them AGAIN to put them back in.

Example:

Blood-stained Boots from the Dark Side vendor.

16 armor (rating 6)

no mods in it.

Awesome, might be pretty cool, right?

What I'm wearing at the moment:

Corpsman Elite Upgrade Boots

287 Armor (rating 78)

Armoring (36)

+15 Aim

+18 Endurance

....ok? What's my boots' base armor? What if it's lower than rating 6? Or higher? How would I know unless I remove my mod? Well, that costs 9k. Not gonna do that potentially for nothing.

If they just added a "Base Armor Rating (6)" or something, that'd be awesome.

Again, unless I'm totally missing something.

The base armor rating means nothing..

for armor you'll want to find an armor mod.. of 78 or higher which will make the boots better... but you'll also need mods and enhancements to put in the boots as well.

It can be a little confusing but the base stat means nothing as weapons and armor inherit the appropriate mods rating

So an orange chest piece you find at level say, 14, could be the same stats as one you find at level 50, if you have the same mods in it?

No, see my post above. Here's more stats from torhead.com comparing 2 orange chestpieces for heavy armor and showing different base stats:

Warlord's Chestguard - heavy armor, no mods (also open augment slot), requires level 19 to equip, 307 armor (54 rating), 120 durability

Hydraulic Press Chestguard - heavy armor, no mods (also open augment slot), requires level 15 to equip, 254 armor (44 rating), 120 durability

They are clearly NOT the same even though they are both orange heavy armor chestpieces with no mods.

It can be a little confusing but the base stat means nothing as weapons and armor inherit the appropriate mods rating

You 100% certain about that? Because I'm pretty sure I threw the same mods in 2 pieces of orange gear with different base ratings and got different resulting ratings. I'll have to test it out when I get back in town. Didn't have enough time to play around with it before I had to leave.

No, see my post above. Here's more stats from torhead.com comparing 2 orange chestpieces for heavy armor and showing different base stats:

Warlord's Chestguard - heavy armor, no mods (also open augment slot), requires level 19 to equip, 307 armor (54 rating), 120 durability

Hydraulic Press Chestguard - heavy armor, no mods (also open augment slot), requires level 15 to equip, 254 armor (44 rating), 120 durability

They are clearly NOT the same even though they are both orange heavy armor chestpieces with no mods.

I'm fairly sure the base rating changes when you throw a mod in the armoring slot and even stay the same if you remove it, so base stats are pointless and mods mean everything.

So I should be able to take the mods out of raid gear in put it in any other armor (light, medium, heavy) and it be just as good right?

Not really.

High end items do not have an Armor/Hilt/etc part that you can remove, you can only remove the Enhancement and Mod.

However, that would be true for any other piece of gear in the game with all 3 mods.

All orange gear is created equal :) The reason you see those base armor ratings are because Bioware didnt want level ones running around looking like they were 50 from grinding or buying orange gear that looked like it was lvl 50 gear. So they put in a base armor rating so that they could put level reuirements on orange gear.

The minute you put a armoring mod in, that armoring mod IS the armor rating for that peice of armor. In other words, it completely overides the inital armor raiting, but at the same time, allows for the peice to still keep its level requirement.

Hope that helps.

Don't use torhead for checking up on gear, btw. They currently are having issues putting things up. For one, as you noted, they list orange gear with augment slots. Orange gear does not have augment slots, hence Torheads listing is wrong.

Edited by Azureas

Stop it. You're just confusing people with bad information. Stop using torhead.com. Look in the game, not some unfinished website database. Torhead doesn't know what it's talking about.

Two orange items from ANYWHERE in the game of the same TYPE (light, medium or heavy) with the same MODS will have IDENTICAL stats. This is the WHOLE POINT of orange gear.

You 100% certain about that? Because I'm pretty sure I threw the same mods in 2 pieces of orange gear with different base ratings and got different resulting ratings. I'll have to test it out when I get back in town. Didn't have enough time to play around with it before I had to leave.

Yes I am 100 percent certain about this.

It doesn't matter what the base stats of an orange item or ANY blue item.

Once you put mods in it it inherits the rating based on hilt/barrel/armoring

that rating affects dmg/force power/tech power

so two items regardless of level with the EXACT same mods.. are exactly equal.

The item doesn't make the item.. the mods do.

100 rating hilt in any weapon will give the exact same dmg / force power in any weapon and the weapon will INHERIT this rating.

****KEY POINT****

THE ITEMS ARE ONLY DIFFERENT UNMODDED

You can increase the level of every modifiable piece of armor but not decrease it. You might be able to lower it a little bit, but you can't buy a lvl 50 look at wear it at 12.. I've tried even by removing mods and putting in the lower level ones.

the rating (enter number here) is what gives weapons dmg values and force or tech power the minute you add a barrel, hilt, or armoring to the item the rating goes to the rating of that mod, completely changing the stats to be that (rating)

and this is very possible if you didn't add the mod that affects (rating) again.. hilt , barrel, or armoring.

Edited by Shammus