The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ranked Hardtank :: Mitigation or Endurance?

NikSunrider

While I've done tanking in regs and ops, I haven't actually played one in ranked arenas (only played DPS/heals in those).

I have heard many of the arguments about skank vs hardtank, and in fact I have the skank gear for regs, but I decided to build a secondary gear set (mitigation) for ranked to deal with particular scenarios.

While I know how PVE gearing works, and even how skank gearing does, I am not sure whether I should go full mitigation (Immunity 40X enhancements, mitigation augments), or mitigation skewed towards endurance, like Bastion 40X.

Please, nerd by brain out! What to do?

PvP has always favored high endurance because of how much can't be mitigated.

Problem is right now, with the way the new mods are set up and with the new crit changes, it's even harder to mitigate.

Used to be you'd build high endurance with shield and absorb... now we're forced to take defense which doesn't even work against half of the damage you'll be taking, and with how high crit chances are, absorption isn't as reliable either.

Either way, high endurance is always the answer for PvP tanking because of how much gets around mitigation.

PvP has always favored high endurance because of how much can't be mitigated.

Problem is right now, with the way the new mods are set up and with the new crit changes, it's even harder to mitigate.

Used to be you'd build high endurance with shield and absorb... now we're forced to take defense which doesn't even work against half of the damage you'll be taking, and with how high crit chances are, absorption isn't as reliable either.

Either way, high endurance is always the answer for PvP tanking because of how much gets around mitigation.

Between Bastion and Immunity (and the same for absorb equiv) my Shield/Absorb is the same number, only Defence/Endurance fluctuate, which, as VG (or shadow) is a good thing. But the question yet remains - don't I need at least some defence, since white damage has become more prevailant? I mean, maras, snipers, they are littering the queue.

Well if you're going to go full mitigation mods then you're going to wind up with some defense anyway. But the fact remains that defense is the least useful mitigation stat in PvP (especially for VGs/PTs, since their primary focus is shielding) and will remain so unless BW changes it so that it it also increases the chance to resist force and tech attacks.

Even if you're finding that there are more snipers/maras, whenever you're getting attacked by a sorc, operative or PT, remember that your defense stat basically doesn't exist. At least your shield has a chance to help you here, but you want high endurance overall so that when their auto crits kick in (and even regular crits which are pretty often now) you don't see your health bar drop as dramatically because that's when even your shield can't help you.