Periodic Game Freezing/Crashing on Windows 10

Raakk

I am using Windows 10. I have a 6-core CPU and 2x GeForce Titan Z GPUs. I disabled SLI and am just using 1 Titan at the moment. Win 10 is fully updated, and I have the latest nVidia drivers.

The game will run for ~ 30 minutes and then it freezes. It consistently freezes, I cannot get it to run longer than about 30-60 minutes maximum.

I uninstalled SWTOR and reinstalled it. No luck.

I played this on other computers and did not have the problem. Those had 980Ti GPUs and only 4-core CPUs.

As an update:

I was able to work around this issue, which seems to be related to SLI.

Originally I had put in an SLI exception via the nVidia control panel, to disable SLI for SWTOR. However I was still getting regular periodic crashes.

My video drivers wouldn't crash, but the game would.

I then tried to completely disable SLI on the machine. Since making that change, I am no longer getting these periodic crashes.

It's annoying, because I have to turn SLI completely off and back on when I switch to other games, but it does work.

So something is wrong with SWTOR SLI code, it seems.

• 2 months later...
As an update:

I was able to work around this issue, which seems to be related to SLI.

Originally I had put in an SLI exception via the nVidia control panel, to disable SLI for SWTOR. However I was still getting regular periodic crashes.

My video drivers wouldn't crash, but the game would.

I then tried to completely disable SLI on the machine. Since making that change, I am no longer getting these periodic crashes.

It's annoying, because I have to turn SLI completely off and back on when I switch to other games, but it does work.

So something is wrong with SWTOR SLI code, it seems.

THANK YOU! got the EXACT same problem here in 2016. i know its been a while since you opened this thread, but the problem is still there. have you found a fix?

Exact same problem here. I have two nvidia 980's, each of which work fine with SLI disabled in Swtor, but, in windows 10 SLI, the game will crash/freeze every 10 minutes or so when roaming around a planet. Usually control alt delete will allow me to alt tab out and the game will recover, and I've never seen a 'driver stopped responding' message or anything.

Interestingly, I have windows 8 on my machine too, and using SLI and the exact same cards and drivers, this doesn't happen. I was playing Windows 10 SLI back in October (when KOTFE launched) and had no issues, so wonder if the big WIndows 10 update in November, or a swtor patch, has caused this. Unfortunately, Windows 8 has its own problems - a headache inducing stutterfest (possibly related to the new grass option - I haven't really tried to smooth it out yet).

Probably irrelevant, but I have 6 core cpu too; I might try limiting swtor to 4 cores and see if anything happens.

EDIT - messing around with cpu affinity made no difference

Edited by davegl

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem. Just started with the latest Nvidia drivers 365.19.

Have two Asus 980 GTX TI Poseidon cards.

Freezing while riding speeder and or on grass planets.

Cant even alt tab out to use task manager to end swtor.

Have to restart computer.

I do not have any problems running any other games(Assassin's creed Sydicate, The Division, elder scrolls online, etc)

My temps are good on both cards and cpu. Total watercooling.

Its a SWTOR and/or Nvidia drivers(sli) issue.......

I will disable SLI and see if that solves the problem and repost my findings.

• 3 weeks later...
It is my belief that SWTOR is not fully compatible with Win 10. I have played from the beginning on Win 7, 8 and 10 and never had any issues until 10. The funny thing is, when I ran SWTOR on Win 10 after changing the properties to enable compatibility mode for Win 7, all the issues magically disappeared .

New Windows 10 install, new game install, latest drivers, Radeon HD 7900. Radeon 16.3.2 driver.

16 GB RAM intel i5 quadcore

Start SWTOR

Will completely freeze computer randomly with after about five minutes. Go black and return but frozen.

Can open the taskmanager and see SWTOR is not responding.

Can not click anything and only option left is hard reboot.

I can see a warning icon in my taskbar that I think is the graphic driver.

Pls Fix.

Interesting workaround going to win 7 compatibility (didn't think of suggesting as a workaround) this would likely be dropping from wddm 2.0 to wddm 1.1 , 1.1 is not affected by the issue reported at this link and it only occurred with the TH2 windows update with 2.0 (Link)

Indeed, up until now the game is working fine without a glitch since I made the change to Win 7 compatibility. You might be on to something with WDDM. Hopefully my workaround helps some people enjoy SWTOR again.

I have updated the known issues sticky at EA Answers HQ (Link) to include the Win 7 compatibility and pointing back to this thread as the source.

Just to confirm the compat was only applied to the game shortcut ? or was it applied to launcher.exe and swtor.exe ?

Edited by OwenBrooks

I've tried setting the launcher (shortcut) to windows 7 compatibility and windowed mode.

I crashes again but now it takes a little longer.

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

New Windows 10 install, new game install, latest drivers, Radeon HD 7900. Radeon 16.3.2 driver.

16 GB RAM intel i5 quadcore

Start SWTOR

Will completely freeze computer randomly with after about five minutes. Go black and return but frozen.

Can open the taskmanager and see SWTOR is not responding.

Can not click anything and only option left is hard reboot.

I can see a warning icon in my taskbar that I think is the graphic driver.

Pls Fix.

Edited by LuckyLuigi
details

I've tried setting the launcher (shortcut) to windows 7 compatibility and windowed mode.

I crashes again but now it takes a little longer.

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Your issue is not related to this thread, make a post at this link, mention what temps the CPU and GPU are at when this occurs

Use DDU (Link) as well and do a clean driver install initially

Your issue is not related to this thread, make a post at this link, mention what temps the CPU and GPU are at when this occurs

Use DDU (Link) as well and do a clean driver install initially

My issue is EXACTLY this thread. I already mentioned I did a clean install of all drivers.

Already given up hope, just sad I renewed my subscription before this happened.

The cause of the issue for the OP in this thread is confined to Windows 10 and Nvidia

Given your using AMD what ever is occurring is not related to this, follow the suggestion in my previous post if you want some help with this. bug report forum isn't the best place to post this sort of issue.

If the AMD driver is falling over and recovering as you mentioned above, heat is one of the first things to check, doesn't hurt to roll back to an older AMD driver just to be sure as well it isn't a particular driver version issue.

Edited by OwenBrooks