[BUG] Relics of Devastating Vengeance uncraftable: [Deprecated] => 1

Culoph

I've confirmed from several sources that the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance schematic is mistakenly flagged internally as [Deprecated] => 1, which causes the schematic to disappear once learned. If the crafting mission is queued before the schematic disappears, the mission will fail and return the materials to the crafter.

Incident Details:

My experience of this issue began on the evening of 18/11/15 when, as part of our 224 gear run, my progression team and I defeated Olok the Shadow on hard mode. The 220 rated Unassembled Exarch Relic was reserved for me so that I could reverse engineer an Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance to craft for team members who wanted to try it out. As an aside, the 224 gear cannot be reverse engineered. At 23:03 GMT I successfully reverse engineered the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance with my main character, Culoph. Then at 23:12 I logged off that character and onto another. I logged back in as Culoph at 23:13, but didn't look at my crafting menu before logging onto a different character again at 23:15. At 23:24 I logged in as Culoph again and at 23:28 I looked at my crafting menu. It was then that I discovered that the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance schematic had disappeared... :eek:

Screenshots:

Investigations to date & resultant hypothesis:

I immediately filed a CS ticket in the hope of having my lost schematic restored. After about a week I was still searching for any mention of similar issues online. The closest I came was disappearing schematics as discussed in the forums in 2012, but this seemed a distinct issue. Eventually I came across the data behind the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance schematic posted on a website that's popular amongst the swtor community. On a hunch I used a diff tool to quickly compare the data from this relic with the data from another 220 relic that I'd already successfully reverse engineered without trouble. The significant difference I found was that the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance schematic data contained the field

[Deprecated] => 1

whereas this field was blank for the other relic:

[Deprecated] => 

as well as for all other current non-archived schematics that I examined. I hypothesised that this was the reason the schematic had disappeared, and that perhaps a login script had been prompted by the 'deprecated' flag to remove my Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance schematic.

Finding this possible explanation gave me the confidence to try reverse engineering items once more. I first of all tested some blue vendor schematics to see if the resultant purple schematics would persist through logout. They persisted without issue. I then tested this with an Advanced Resistive Hilt 42; the schematic for this also persisted without issue. It therefore seems the bug is indeed limited to Relics of Devastating Vengeance.

Finally, last night (29/11/15) I discovered another player who had tried to reverse engineer the Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance. N'aruto was advertising this relic for sale on the imperial fleet chat. Upon inquiring I found that this person had only just learned the schematic and queued crafting of an Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance, but upon examination found that the schematic had since disappeared. I suggested taking a screenshot for CS & devs, which N'aruto did. While we were talking the crafting mission reaching completion, but no relic was crafted; instead N'aruto's materials were returned. N'aruto then filed a CS ticket & bug report.

I take this as confirmation that this bug will affect any player who successfully reverse engineers an Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance. As explained I suspect the reason for this is the mistaken application of the 'deprecated' flag. I note that the 216 rated Defiant Relic of Devastating Vengeance is also flagged as [Deprecated] => 1 and so I suspect that this schematic will exhibit the same bug. These two are the only schematics for which I've been able to find inappropriate '[Deprecated] => 1' flags. If I'm correct the fix for this would simply be to clear the [Deprecated] field for these relics so that they are the same as comparable current schematics. I submitted a report similar to this one in game, although at the moment it isn't visible to me possibly due to a UI bug.

If anyone else has tried to reverse engineer an Exarch Relic of Devastating Vengeance or a Defiant Relic of Devastating Vengeance, please can you add your voice and post here whether the schematic persisted through login and whether or not you can now craft these relics?

I hope this bug report is helpful to the devs and that we see this bug fixed in the near future.

Many thanks & kind regards,

Culoph.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this thread with the outcome. 28 days after my initial ticket to the CS team the schematic was restored to me. They were able to verify from the logs that I'd learned the recipe. The bug in the game files appears to have been fixed in patch 4.1 as per the patch notes: "The Defiant Relic of Devastating Vengeance MK-1 no longer fails to craft", which seems to apply to the Exarch Relic as well judging by the game files.

Thank you BioWare Devs and CS team for fixing this. :jawa_smile: