The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Alliance Crates on Cartel Market

Okay Bioware, you’ve had your fun watching us grind like crazy for these alliance crates. It’s time to put an end to that amusement and do what we all want…. which is to throw our Bank / Credit cards at the problem. Oh what’s that Bey’Wan Aygo you need more military crates?? No problem let me hop on the Cartel Market and swap 1k coins for 10 crates. Bam, delivered make them count. Oh hey Doctor Oggurobb you need new supplies to? Let me hook you up, oh crap I’m out of Cartel Coins let me switch some funds around. “2500 Cartel Coins have been added to your account”. Alright we’re in business let me snatch up 10 crates real quick. Kaboom, supplies delivered keep those experiments going.

All kidding aside, I don’t have the game time availability to grind heroic two’s weekly for alliance crates. At my current pace I don’t know if I would ever get to level 20. What happens if I don’t? Do I miss something really exciting in game? Will choices not be open to me that will be open to other players with maxed level 20 influences? Let’s fix that by allowing me to use something I do have extra of, cash. Put alliance crates for each Alliance Leader on the cartel market and allow players to purchase them. People that still want to grind or have ample time can keep on trucking. Those who have reduced playing time but have extra funds can still achieve maxed influence with the leaders. This is a win – win for everyone.

Thank you

Allowing a situation where somebody can bypass part of the game by throwing money at the situation is the very definition of "pay to win".

The CM has made only a single mistake so far, with the introduction of the +41 crystals, other than that all items have been fluff. Your suggestion isn't. Your suggestion is allowing part of the game to be bypassed by spending cash.

As this is pay to win then no - this simply must not happen.

I know it sucks, but those people who have more time will always progress further and quicker than people who don't. It really is tough luck - if you don't have the time there shouldn't be a way to simply "buy what you want".

Edited by Stoofa

You can also make a case for CM XP Boosts being mildly P2W, but the OP's suggestion goes way too far.

I'd argue that because you can, at high (50+) level, get +41 crystals by other means, the at-level-10 +41 crystals aren't as drastic as this suggestion would be. Even the OP's suggestion isn't the most egregious form of P2W I've seen in a game I've played. The various stats object (give extra stats to gear) manipulation tools for Runes of Magic are a stronger example - the ones that do it right are only available in their cash shop.

Allowing a situation where somebody can bypass part of the game by throwing money at the situation is the very definition of "pay to win".

The CM has made only a single mistake so far, with the introduction of the +41 crystals, other than that all items have been fluff. Your suggestion isn't. Your suggestion is allowing part of the game to be bypassed by spending cash.

As this is pay to win then no - this simply must not happen.

I know it sucks, but those people who have more time will always progress further and quicker than people who don't. It really is tough luck - if you don't have the time there shouldn't be a way to simply "buy what you want".

Stoofa Stoofa Stoofa, Tell me how allowing the ability to purchase Alliance Crates with Cartel Coins affects anyone other than that one person. PVP isn't based on your Alliance Leader scores. These guys aren't even companions that are allowed to leave the house. You or any other player wouldn't notice the difference? How is this pay to win? You can already buy a level 60 character from the Cartel Market, how is that not pay to win. You're allowing anyone to purchase a level 60 which in your own words " is allowing part of the game to be bypassed by spending cash".

Thanks

Stoofa Stoofa Stoofa, Tell me how allowing the ability to purchase Alliance Crates with Cartel Coins affects anyone other than that one person. PVP isn't based on your Alliance Leader scores. These guys aren't even companions that are allowed to leave the house. You or any other player wouldn't notice the difference? How is this pay to win? You can already buy a level 60 character from the Cartel Market, how is that not pay to win. You're allowing anyone to purchase a level 60 which in your own words " is allowing part of the game to be bypassed by spending cash".

Thanks

You forgot the companion gifts (sometimes rank 6 dark purple ones, even) that are given away in the commander's share boxes that you get back from the alliance leaders. There's your purchased power-up. (And yes, I know, it's a shortcut, not a thing only available in the CM, but even so...) Sure, if a CM-bought crate didn't give any commander's share in return, that would be OK, or at least less bad.

SteveTheCynic,

You're right on here "Sure, if a CM-bought crate didn't give any commander's share in return, that would be OK, or at least less bad". These Crates don't have to dish out anything. Again the only goal is to achieve the top rank with alliance leaders. Technically they wouldn't even need to be Alliance Crates they could just be a voucher you pop and you get so much influence with the correlating person you purchased for. No items then would need to be dropped.

Edited by Seryth_Tavrayn

SteveTheCynic,

You're right on here "Sure, if a CM-bought crate didn't give any commander's share in return, that would be OK, or at least less bad". These Crates don't have to dish out anything. Again the only goal is to achieve the top rank with alliance leaders. Technically they wouldn't even need to be Alliance Crates they could just be a voucher you pop and you get so much influence with the correlating person you purchased for. No items then would need to be dropped.

Oh, yes, and the other thing: if you rank them up with this, the Commander's Datapad doesn't give you any quests for it either. (That's a direct conversion, albeit probably at an uncomfortably expensive rate, of CCs into credits and crystals.)

Oh, yes, and the other thing: if you rank them up with this, the Commander's Datapad doesn't give you any quests for it either. (That's a direct conversion, albeit probably at an uncomfortably expensive rate, of CCs into credits and crystals.)

SteveTheCynic,

I absolutely forgot about the Commander's Datapad, shows how far along I've gotten with them :(. That could bring a level of complexity that would stop anything being offered which increases their influence. Again I 100% agree that anything offered in the CM for influence with alliance leaders shouldn't have a in-game reward other than ranking higher with them. I could be wrong with the assumption that the higher the level with your alliance leaders will unlock extra story options. However if it's like ME3 as long as you're able to get the top score with your Military advisers by following the story then maybe these don't need to be listed. Though if the only way you get can maxed influenced is by doing grinds and grinds of Heroics than there should be a option to use other means to achieve maxed influence. I just feel the CM would be a perfect place to add that feature.