Why are there so many servers?

Notsureyet

So Iv'e been looking to make a new character and started doing research on server populations and watching load status ingame, what I've come away with is this game only needs a handful of servers. The population is spread thinly across way too many.

1 pve server, 1 pvp, 1 RP, 1 rp-pvp, thats four servers, would probably hold the entire north American population and have healthy activity. Why are there so many servers?

Because the population isn't spread thinly at all, it is heavily concentrated in only a few servers, with the PVP ones totally dead.

If you want healthy activity, go to Harbinger. If you want decent activity with a more stable server, do one of Shadowlands/BC/JC/EH (I think Shadowlands is #2)

Plus there is still good motivation to have west and east coast servers due to latency in some areas.

Because the population isn't spread thinly at all, it is heavily concentrated in only a few servers, with the PVP ones totally dead.

If you want healthy activity, go to Harbinger. If you want decent activity with a more stable server, do one of Shadowlands/BC/JC/EH (I think Shadowlands is #2)

Plus there is still good motivation to have west and east coast servers due to latency in some areas.

Bit shocking, pvp servers usually where all the "cool kids" go. I noticed Harbinger has about 2.5x more activity then the next busiest server, which is actually ebon hawk. Thats what lead me to conclusion those bottom servers just aren't necessary

Bit shocking, pvp servers usually where all the "cool kids" go. I noticed Harbinger has about 2.5x more activity then the next busiest server, which is actually ebon hawk. Thats what lead me to conclusion those bottom servers just aren't necessary

PVP died a long time ago, the problem is they can't easily merge the servers because they are already running pretty near minimum cover between PVP, RP-PVP, and east and west coast.

Though right now they are dead enough where they could probably get away with it, we'd get a bit of forum whining of course, but that is common enough.

well world PVP isn't really a strong part of this game, people for whom thats a big thing, often find other games better for it. also the games been out awhile, generally PVP servers tend to die first in MMOs, in my experiance, because the community tends to be kinda toxic

So Iv'e been looking to make a new character and started doing research on server populations and watching load status ingame, what I've come away with is this game only needs a handful of servers. The population is spread thinly across way too many.

1 pve server, 1 pvp, 1 RP, 1 rp-pvp, thats four servers, would probably hold the entire north American population and have healthy activity. Why are there so many servers?

and lag to high hell these servers barely hand what they have with out issues. if we actual had mega servers the lag would be far worse

You should have seen the game at launch.

Over 100 servers that went dead almost instantly.

There was a time on my original server Darth Bandon where I would spend hours as the only single person on fleet in the overnight hrs, that went on for months till the server merges.

For historic reasons as people have said, because population used to almost justify the number of servers. Since then there have been mergers and there should now be more mergers to alleviate low population on some servers.

But having multiple servers still is of benefit to the player because you want to play on the one physically nearest you, the one that gives you the lowest ping ingame, which you can check near your ingame minimap. If you try to play on a server thousands of miles away from you, you will experience ingame lag that, in PVP at least, will put you at a significant disadvantage.

Shop around for low ping and note your contentedness with game will increase.