Should I upgrade my graphics card, if so, what should I upgrade to?

RyGanFire

As a side note, you being such an AMD fan, the irony is that those benchmarks show how even the dual Core i3 holds its own against a top of the line 8 core FX chip.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Hardware-Roundup/BioShock-Infinite-and-Civilization-Beyond-Earth

R9 290x + AMD FX 9590 - 146.2 fps

R4 290x + Intel i3-4130 - 148.7 fps

Talking about 150 FPS vs 160/180 FPS for double/triple price. Anyone CARE rofl.

Ans thats 1 game that runs at 150 FPS.

And even lowering to level of 750 ti you propose (or r9 280 i propose) ALL cpus, from x4 to i7 have SAME FPS.

I know a website in USA. I used this service myself. When I wanted buy a 580 GTX. It costed about 500 at the time. There's a place in the United States. You send them a copy of your photo ID. They let you put down payment for first month. (Normally 40-60 a month for 12 months) it cost 40-60 dollars a month and up depending on video card.

In the long run you end up paying a hundred extra. But you get the video card with only 40 bucks down. We're talking about a new 500 dollar video card. For those who might not have that on cash. I know a website that offers that. It's like you rent video cards assuming you pay it on time every time you can either buy that or sign up for another 12 months with latest video card. They have out.

It may sound confusing. If anyone is interested message me. I'll give you the link. It saves money up front if you need some of that money to be spent on a better PC.

Finally, to use your own link...

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems/Quad-Core-Gaming-Hardware-Roundup/Metro-Last-Light-and-Middle-Earth-Shadow-Mordor

Metro Last Light - same R9 290x on each of these CPUs:

i7-4790K - 117.3

FX 9590 - 90.7

i5-4440 - 89.3

i3-4130 - 66.7

AMD X4 860K - 54.7

That game does use multiple cores well, but it also shows how that GPU is wasted on the slower CPUs, the game is CPU limited, not GPU limited.

On the R9 280 - same game:

i7-4790K - 75

i5-4440 - 73

FX 9590 - 72.3

i3-4130 - 63

AMD X4 - 860K - 54

The game runs just as fast on the R9 280 as it does the R9 290X on both the i3 and the AMD X4. The faster GPU does nothing, it is a complete waste. It does help on the higher end CPUs.

THE OP has a slower CPU than everything in that list, it is a dual core and half the speed of anything on that list.

Even the R9 280 would be completely wasted on that CPU.

Im glad you picked that up, just to show how AMD keeps up with twice as expencive Intel i5 and demolishes same priced i3 and how dual cores are a WASTE threading or no threading (threading makes the difference only to a certain point and theres no escaping i3 IS dual core CPU)

And of course that in games that use MORE cores CPUs with more cores will be BETTER. Somethign you strongly DENY. 115$ FX-83xx wil eat your 130$ i3 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and perform like 200+$ i5.

Another problem with lowbie i5 is because of its low speed it will deliver WORSE experience because it will produce lower min FPS which translates in much more stutter. Recommending those based on performance on OCed -k variants just means you are clueless.

Lets now see second part, lets pick x4 860 (by far weakes/cheapest CPU in teh test)

750ti 44

260x 37.3

R9280 54

GTX770 55.7

R9290x 54.7

GTX980 57.7

Its easily concluded that:

a) you DO get increase with better GPU no matter CPU

b) cutoff point for 75$ x4 860k CPU is r9280/GTX770 for multicore (non dx12) games

c) future games will be MORE GPU demanding so even buying a class better GPU than cutoff WILL be of use inthe future (and theres dx12 to count on)

Now look at MANTLE results (dx12) and see how it DIMINISHES CPU bottleneck when there IS one.

In beyond earth i7 with mantle gets 40% boost while 4x 860 with mantle gets 90% boost in FPS on 290x. Bringing difference between 75$ CPU and 350$ CPU from 60% to 30%. Not to mention 115$ FX-83xx

And im sorry i have to break it to you, but SWTOR is NOT current game, its OLD game with engine from 2008.

-------------------------------

OP, you will definitely improve your performance greatly by buying decent GPU. Probably even in SWTOR, but more in new games, SWTOR as far as tech goes is game from 2008 with borked engine. As i said, from my earlier post, up to 200W GPU would most likely be OK, but without looking at your PSU.

You could have bad 250W PSU which cannot deliver even 200W so you would be limited to very low power draw GPUs which would be somewhat wasted money (as you would be better off going with strong APU as you would be upgrading your CPU and GPU)

Edited by Mikahrone