The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What if you had only one character slot to play on server, what would you play?

Wewawindwalker

Jedi Shadow tank.

I've asked myself this question many times. SWTOR encourages you to play many different classes and with the many different story arcs doing so can be quite enjoyable. Though I've found myself at a crossroads where I'm at the level where I can start KOTFE, but I have to decide whether or not to complete all the pre-expansion story content first since it will become unavailable afterwards. Obviously, this requires a tremendous investment of time and, spread across many different alts, may be unfeasible. So if I had to pool everything into one character, it would be my Jedi Shadow tank.

Several parts require explanation. First, I'd want to be a Force user class. I know that may seem the mainstream thing to do, but playing a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler, while enticing, just doesn't capture the allure and enchantment of being in the Star Wars universe as much compared to being a Jedi or Sith.

Second, I would play a Republic class because I tend to go all light or all dark with my decision paths and all dark choices in this game seem myopically violent. When given the choice or not to save a valuable resource, the light side is practical and realizes the benefit they serve while a dark choice is akin to the mentality of "no, just blow it up because destruction is fun." It's okay some of the time, but gets boring really fast.

Thirdly, I like playing tanks the most because of the resilience of the class and the value it offers to a group. The Jedi Knight was a tempting alternative and lore-wise might have been better since a lot of stories seem written around this archtype, especially with the Knight's involvement with the Emperor. So why Shadow instead of Guardian?

Fourth, STEALTH! Stealth is an amazing utility and not just for backstabbing rogue types. Stealth allows you to bypass all the trash robs to get to the story area, loot a resource, escape PvPers (not that the servers are ever that populated), and, when combined with other abilities, troll other players in fun and creative ways. But mostly I use it to just speed things along. There comes a point where fighting trash mobs no longer offers much in the way of loot or experience points so it's nice when you can just make a beeline right to your destination.