Security key code delay?

Sunnybeamgirl

I had a problem show up with my security key about a month ago after almost a year of no issues. All of the sudden codes were showing up as invalid.

I talked to customer service, and reinstalled the app, and the problem continued - this time with not being able to even confirm the code on the website - I kept getting the error message that said "Sorry, we couldn't find your serial #, please try again."

Quite by accident, I refreshed the page over a minute later with the same code, and it accepted it. Since then I've been having to get a code, then wait over a minute to actually enter the game in order for the code to be accepted.

Please tell me someone has experienced this and has a resolution? Customer service had no clue of what the problem was. I timed the delay just now and it's about 1 minute and 40 secs from the time the code is created until the time that either the website or the game recognizes it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app 3 times, and removed and re-added my security key from my account, but the problem persists.

Have you tried synchronising the clocks on your phone and PC? It sounds like a desynchronisation issue. The code is generated locally based on your encryption and time set on your device.

If that doesn't help, you may be able to use WinAuth to generate the code on your computer which theoretically should guarantee perfect sync.

This article explains how to do it:

https://winauth.com/2015/06/11/swtor-security-key-google-authenticator/

Edited by imissleeches

Have you tried synchronising the clocks on your phone and PC? It sounds like a desynchronisation issue. The code is generated locally based on your encryption and time set on your device.

If that doesn't help, you may be able to use WinAuth to generate the code on your computer which theoretically should guarantee perfect sync.

This article explains how to do it:

https://winauth.com/2015/06/11/swtor-security-key-google-authenticator/

My phone time actually has seemed to all the sudden jump off separately from the time everything else is at. I will check in to it - thank you! It's about a 2 minute difference which matches. I would never have thought of that. (Customer service should be given that tip as well!)

Just an update to this thread in case anyone else has the problem.

Correcting the time difference fixed it.

I had to update my phone to get the time issue corrected, but now that the time on my computer and phone match, the security key is working properly again. If anyone has a security key that functions properly and then suddenly quits working, I'd suggest checking that the time is correct before going down more time-consuming trouble-shooting paths.

Happy to delp <3

I actually only found out myself like a few weeks ago. I did some research and discovered that your app can travel in time if you manipulate your phone clock. You can set it forward an hour and it will give you the exact code you'll need in an hour!

Which I guess makes sense given that the app is always offline. It has to generate the code based on locally available data and time seems to be the most logical choice that multiple devices share without requiring being networked.