4.0 Fury PvP Guide?

Scrubbed_Out

What are some of the things that you are struggling with in pvp? Damage output, killing healers, survivability, staying on a target, or just looking for general tips?

Fury in 4.0 feels exactly the same to me as it did before. The sustained dps is a bit lower than other specs, burst is good, but the CC immunity from gravity vortex on force crush is what makes it a viable solo queue pvp spec. I have not seen a 4.0 Fury pvp guide yet, but I have played Fury quite a bit in 3.0, so here is my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Fury is my personal favorite spec because of the CC immunity on force crush. I generally pop berserk (rage generation), leap, force crush (do this really quick before target uses stun / knockback), ravage (use force choke if target pops something like HO/HTL - then ravage), furious strike (auto-crit when used after ravage - pvp set bonus), raging burst (auto-crit after leap), vicious throw for execute, vicious slash and assault for filler.

If you see your target pop a DCD, be careful not to waste your auto-crit attacks. You can use a filler such as battering assault, assault, or vicious slash and wait for the DCD to end. When agents / smugglers pop dodge, this is particularly important - it's only about 1.5 seconds, so it's just a matter of seeing it and throwing in something like your basic attack (might as well generate some rage since you are going to miss on that GCD), then go back to using auto-crits.

Sometimes if a target already has you targeted, the leap --> force crush move does not work (they stun / knockback prior to you being able to get the CC immunity off). It's a very common reaction to fall back to stuns / knocbacks when leapt to. So, you may choose to simply approach the target manually and apply force crush. Just use the 10m leap to get the auto-crit on raging burst. Sometimes in arenas, I will use force camo to approach the target, just to guarantee that I can get force crush off. I actually hate doing that, since force camo is such a great escape ability, but sometimes in arenas, you will get focused and there is no other way to strike first. Alternatively, you could pop a DCD and just take the initial CC and beating, then pop camo and restart the fight. It's all situational. Regardless, you want to bait your opponent into wasting their CC and / or damage output on you.

Because of the CC immunity and the power of your defensive cooldowns, you should be bold in arenas - draw their fire, allow your teammates to free-cast. I often charge right in, get CC immunity, AOE mezz a group (if one of them wastes their stun breaker, this is a very good thing for your team), and deliver a high amount of damage to the primary target in just a few seconds.

One of my favorite parts about Fury spec is the rage generation from berserk. As you use abilities that use rage, you get closer to being able to pop berserk again = full rage.

For utilities, I have been going with the following:

Overwhelm (ravage root), Inexorable (stun breaker cooldown reduction), Brazen (damage reduction, fury building)

Relentless (predation), Defensive Roll (damage reduction) or Phantom (movement speed, force camo boost)

Unbound (predation breaks roots), Blood Ward (Sabre Ward 3% heals)

In general, Maras are healer killers due to high damage and especially because of the healing reduction on crippling slash! Use it!

Also: Obfuscate. Use it on other maras, snipers, jugs. It drastically reduces melee / ranged accuracy of your target, meaning that their melee and ranged attacks will probably miss. This is useless on specs that use a lot of force or tech attacks, though. Don't waste it on operatives, sorcs, etc.

Hope that helps, at least somewhat!

Edited by teclado

Hey Rodney, no problem! I'm glad that helped. Conc/Fury is really quite fun. I'm actually kind of surprised that so few play sent/mara in pvp now...since 3.0, I have played it more than anything else, and I promise I am not a masochist. :p On the harbinger I sometimes see more, but it's usually just me or maybe one other sent/mara in the match. I'm cool with that, though.

I think that this is probably still mostly valid for 4.0: http://dulfy.net/2015/06/08/swtor-3-0-fury-marauder-dps-guide-by-artorias/

In terms of an "optimal dps rotation" I really like this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=791473

Of course, for pvp we would change a few things up such as using force crush earlier and following ravage with furious strike (auto-crit from pvp set bonus). But that's the general idea. As you can see, it is possible to sustain damage without ever having to use your basic attack at all.

What are some of the things that you are struggling with in pvp? Damage output, killing healers, survivability, staying on a target, or just looking for general tips?

Fury in 4.0 feels exactly the same to me as it did before. The sustained dps is a bit lower than other specs, burst is good, but the CC immunity from gravity vortex on force crush is what makes it a viable solo queue pvp spec. I have not seen a 4.0 Fury pvp guide yet, but I have played Fury quite a bit in 3.0, so here is my humble opinion, for what it's worth.

Fury is my personal favorite spec because of the CC immunity on force crush. I generally pop berserk (rage generation), leap, force crush (do this really quick before target uses stun / knockback), ravage (use force choke if target pops something like HO/HTL - then ravage), furious strike (auto-crit when used after ravage - pvp set bonus), raging burst (auto-crit after leap), vicious throw for execute, vicious slash and assault for filler.

If you see your target pop a DCD, be careful not to waste your auto-crit attacks. You can use a filler such as battering assault, assault, or vicious slash and wait for the DCD to end. When agents / smugglers pop dodge, this is particularly important - it's only about 1.5 seconds, so it's just a matter of seeing it and throwing in something like your basic attack (might as well generate some rage since you are going to miss on that GCD), then go back to using auto-crits.

Sometimes if a target already has you targeted, the leap --> force crush move does not work (they stun / knockback prior to you being able to get the CC immunity off). It's a very common reaction to fall back to stuns / knocbacks when leapt to. So, you may choose to simply approach the target manually and apply force crush. Just use the 10m leap to get the auto-crit on raging burst. Sometimes in arenas, I will use force camo to approach the target, just to guarantee that I can get force crush off. I actually hate doing that, since force camo is such a great escape ability, but sometimes in arenas, you will get focused and there is no other way to strike first. Alternatively, you could pop a DCD and just take the initial CC and beating, then pop camo and restart the fight. It's all situational. Regardless, you want to bait your opponent into wasting their CC and / or damage output on you.

Because of the CC immunity and the power of your defensive cooldowns, you should be bold in arenas - draw their fire, allow your teammates to free-cast. I often charge right in, get CC immunity, AOE mezz a group (if one of them wastes their stun breaker, this is a very good thing for your team), and deliver a high amount of damage to the primary target in just a few seconds.

One of my favorite parts about Fury spec is the rage generation from berserk. As you use abilities that use rage, you get closer to being able to pop berserk again = full rage.

Overwhelm (ravage root), Inexorable (stun breaker cooldown reduction), Brazen (damage reduction, fury building)

Relentless (predation), Defensive Roll (damage reduction) or Phantom (movement speed, force camo boost)

In general, Maras are healer killers due to high damage and especially because of the healing reduction on crippling slash! Use it!

Also: Obfuscate. Use it on other maras, snipers, jugs. It drastically reduces melee / ranged accuracy of your target, meaning that their melee and ranged attacks will probably miss. This is useless on specs that use a lot of force or tech attacks, though. Don't waste it on operatives, sorcs, etc.

This is all extremely helpful. Thank you. I've mostly been having trouble with Skill Priority and always feeling Rage starved.

Hey Rodney, no problem! I'm glad that helped. Conc/Fury is really quite fun. I'm actually kind of surprised that so few play sent/mara in pvp now...since 3.0, I have played it more than anything else, and I promise I am not a masochist. :p On the harbinger I sometimes see more, but it's usually just me or maybe one other sent/mara in the match. I'm cool with that, though.

I think that this is probably still mostly valid for 4.0: http://dulfy.net/2015/06/08/swtor-3-0-fury-marauder-dps-guide-by-artorias/

In terms of an "optimal dps rotation" I really like this: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=791473

Of course, for pvp we would change a few things up such as using force crush earlier and following ravage with furious strike (auto-crit from pvp set bonus). But that's the general idea. As you can see, it is possible to sustain damage without ever having to use your basic attack at all.

If you look you will see me playing both my sentinel and marauder on harbinger. They are my primary DPS classes and I am planning on playing both in ranked when the new season starts. Although I primarily run carnage/combat.

If you look you will see me playing both my sentinel and marauder on harbinger. They are my primary DPS classes and I am planning on playing both in ranked when the new season starts. Although I primarily run carnage/combat.

I'll keep an eye out. I added my names to my sig. I play mara mostly (sent is still sitting at 60), with the occasional altoholic's urge moving me over to my merc / commando / assassin / PT etc. for a few games. :p

I've been experimenting with annihilation and carnage, trying to force myself to play them. I can see the appeal with carnage - awesome burst windows. One thing that bothers me is that my ability bars feel empty with carnage. There are three empty slots that I have filled with fury or anni. I DO really like the fast paced feel of carnage, with the huge alacrity boost from berserk. I ran fury with zero alacrity in 3.0 - could feel slow at times.

Edited by teclado

I ran fury with zero alacrity in 3.0 - could feel slow at times.

What do you feel are the appropriate stat priorities for Fury/Concentration in today's environment? Because of the auto-crits baked into our spec, I'm thinking straight Power. Do you guys have a different perspective?

What do you feel are the appropriate stat priorities for Fury/Concentration in today's environment? Because of the auto-crits baked into our spec, I'm thinking straight Power. Do you guys have a different perspective?

I went crit chance to 40%, acc to 105% (2 power/acc enhancements was enough), then power the rest for pvp. Seems to work well considering you can land a crippling slash on them.

For pve- i couldnt make the spec work- so i switch back to carnage. Once i figure out annihilation- ill probably swao to that.

For Fury, I went with 105% accuracy, zero alacrity again. I think a mix of crit and power is the way to go. I'm just not sure what the optimal mix is. I'm tinkering, but it's probably going to take me a while to get a subjective feel for which I think is performing better for me in pvp. Currently my crit is in the 1300 range, which may be a bit high. Time will tell.

In spite of the auto-crits, I think that some crit is needed because extra crit will make the auot-crits hit harder (4.0 changes to how crit works). If you are looking for theory-crafted numbers on optimal dps, the thread in the Roles section by Bant gives a pretty good idea (although with 216 gear). I'm guessing a similar ratio of power / crit would apply. Since pvp is not dummy parsing, I guess it depends on what you want: big hits in burst windows or best overall dps. I think that I would be willing to sacrifice some overall dps in favor of bigger hits (gotta kill those healers ;)). So I went a bit higher on crit.

Edited by teclado

For Fury, I went with 105% accuracy, zero alacrity again. I think a mix of crit and power is the way to go. I'm just not sure what the optimal mix is. I'm tinkering, but it's probably going to take me a while to get a subjective feel for which I think is performing better for me in pvp. Currently my crit is in the 1300 range, which may be a bit high. Time will tell.

In spite of the auto-crits, I think that some crit is needed because extra crit will make the auot-crits hit harder (4.0 changes to how crit works). If you are looking for theory-crafted numbers on optimal dps, the thread in the Roles section by Bant gives a pretty good idea (although with 216 gear). I'm guessing a similar ratio of power / crit would apply. Since pvp is not dummy parsing, I guess it depends on what you want: big hits in burst windows or best overall dps. I think that I would be willing to sacrifice some overall dps in favor of bigger hits (gotta kill those healers ;)). So I went a bit higher on crit.

I'm actually slightly higher with crit. I also have gone to 105% accuracy with no alacrity, and the rest crit. I am running 8 crit augs and 6 overkill currently and that leaves me right at 40% crit chance and 70% surge. I think that is the sweat spot for augs with the rest in overkill.

On my sent that is primarily combat right now I have stacked alacrity as it really feels burstier than stacking overkill augs. I can still hit 40% crit, just with 9% alacrity, and about 58 points less melee bonus damage than the mara build.

Plus combat/ carnage is fun primarily because of the speed of attacks, while fury/concentration is fun because of immunity and how hard attacks hit. Because of this I think power/crit priority makes more sense for fury, while crit/alacrity makes more sense for carnage.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry i never played, a mara and the skills names are confusing what is the rotation for a Sentinel? it would seem if you take into consideration our PvP setbonus (208) zealot strike/twin saber throw is gonna ad 5% dmg boost if i read correctly so shouldnt the opener be Force Leap, ZS,twin, focused burst? Edited by Dolitoe

sorry i never played, a mara and the skills names are confusing what is the rotation for a Sentinel? it would seem if you take into consideration our PvP setbonus (208) zealot strike/twin saber throw is gonna ad 5% dmg boost if i read correctly so shouldnt the opener be Force Leap, ZS,twin, focused burst?

This shows a good fury and concentration rotation and shows all the different ability names for both sent and mara.

Good point about the set bonus damage boost on zealous strike and twin sabre throw. I suppose that you could start off with sabre throw, but I am not sure how much I like using that ability when not needed - personally I think I would prefer to save it for when I am inevitably rooted at range. Each person's judgement call. Zealous strike - just kind of a waste when you don't need the rage (focus) after popping berserk (zen). I think that the optimal dps rotation in oofalong's post takes this into account. I am pretty sure that the pvp and pve set bonuses are the same now and were in 3.0 as well.

So, I'm wondering if you guys have any tips for dealing specifically with Shadow/Assassin tanks (in DPS gear - they're everywhere these days), along with Lethality/Ruffian Scouperatives.

For some reason, these specs seem to give me the most trouble. I really like the 1v1 potential of Concentration, but I could genuinely use some advice against these guys.

Thanks, y'all!

:)

To answer that last question:

Sins --> if they are tanks, i would say to focus on force attacks that you know are auto-criticals (for exemple, raging burst), so that it can tackle their shields (might even backfyre on them). If you are carnage, just burn past the armor with gore. Stunning them during depradating volts is the best way, since its a nearly 20k hit when fully charged and it has a cd, even though its short. Use your defenses timely, focus on using cloack of rage early since the fight is likely to last long and you can make full use of it. If you fight the other sins, mostly deception, they will do the same thing almost 90% of the time: stun, proc maul, maul then burst with force attacks. From what i tried, you should be ready for them (translation: experience, "gut feeling"; per say, but this you need to get with time). When they stun you, use your breaker, then FC right away. Go behind them, use chocke, and use und. rage right after they are unstunned: that way , if you get stunned again and they burst you, it will all be for nothing and you can control the fight from there

Scoundrel --> predation and force attacks are key: main thing about scoundrels is that rol and dodge but its mostly efficient versus melee or ranged attacks, so force attacks can pierce right past them with less reduction. Try popping predation to chase them, disrupt healings and you should do rather well

• 1 month later...

Nice info here Teclado, I don't even play mara but found it informational just understanding them better now since 4.0.