Simple OP companion solution

MadDutchman

Yes I'm making another thread on this, but for constructive purposes only please. We have enough useless whiny threads on both sides of the argument as it is.

Now, no one in their right mind could say comps aren't OP right now. The real question is whether this is good or not. Since this has been discussed to death already, I'll not cover that here. However, in the current state, everyone can get what they want with a little creativity.

All you need to do is disable some of their abilities on your companions (right click on them so the icon in the top right is black, not green). The level of difficulty desired can be achieved by playing with role/ability combinations.

It's an amazing thing, everyone can be happy.

If anyone has found combinations that feel very "3.0ish," do share. Might shut about about 1% of the yammering on the forums (maybe I'm being optimistic here)

no one in their right mind could say

This is not only harsh...it is outright insulting (to me).

I have read the suggestions you are making several times in other posts...points being, it is not new and you are not the first one to think of it.

The (as you call it) yammering will not shut up as long as those insisting that Comps are Overpowered will not stop rekindling the topic with new posts.

no one in their right mind could say

This is not only harsh...it is outright insulting (to me).

I have read the suggestions you are making several times in other posts...points being, it is not new and you are not the first one to think of it.

The (as you call it) yammering will not shut up as long as those insisting that Comps are Overpowered will not stop rekindling the topic with new posts.

You can have fun with them while at the same time admitting them are over powered. It's not an insult.

Difficulty slider would be impossible in normal play because anyone can attack the mobs.

No, it doesn't affect the mobs.

It would put a debuff on the player increasing damage taken from NPC's.

It would be really easy to implement.

Edited by Darkbloom

No, it doesn't affect the mobs.

It would put a debuff on the player increasing damage taken from NPC's.

It would be really easy to implement.

Then that's just nerfing players... It still leaves the companion much stronger than the player, just more likely to die to trash...

That poster is right. I could stop being trolled and responding to these type of threads. I am bumping these threads with my own posts doing exactly what I am hating other people for doing. That is spamming the forum all day writing these comments. So for now and Hopefully for good. I am going stop responding to these type threads. It just so annoying when you have the same topic pop up several different times by the same people.

Who are asking the same question in different ways. Its not enough for them to create a single topic. They have to create several topics on same issue. Then they can't even let some of their old threads die. They have keep bumping their old threads while commenting in existing. Writing sarcastic and condensing messages that say "So your fine with your companion doing all the work for you" under the disguise that they are actually trying to have a civil conversation or actually interested in what people have to say. Because if history has shown us anything its that no matter what reply these Pro Nerf people get. They keep asking the same question. I'm going stop responding I'm doing what I shouldn't be that's bumping these threads. Thank you

Then that's just nerfing players... It still leaves the companion much stronger than the player, just more likely to die to trash...

Well yes, that's the actual effect of any difficulty slider lol--it nerfs players.

Here was my original post:

"The biggest problem, to me, is not OP companions. It's that NPC's don't hit for crap, so every battle is just like watching a YouTube video. I like watching videos but I also like playing games.

People think their companion is what's making the game into a YouTube video because that's easy for them to focus on--"Hey, my companion has more health than me!" But what's really making the game too easy is Mr. Big Bad Enemy hits like a wet noodle in the actual game. He only hits hard in the cut-scenes (anyone whose done the whole story knows exactly who I'm talking about.)

Difficulty slider is perfect, not hard to implement, and does not nerf anything. I don't like nerfs. "

The only thing I would add is that companions are not actually more powerful than players. But there is even a simple solution there--a slider than reduces companion effectiveness. Or an item sold on fleet.

Easy solutions.

They should just introduce an "Epic Mode" for those that dislike the current companion situation. Turning this on would ideally do the following:

- Nerf companions health, damage, and healing

- Boost instance mob levels by 1 or 2

- Give companions an ability that increases the stats of the player, but not enough to compensate for the reduction in companion stats

This would give the people who are upset what they want, without upsetting those who enjoy the current situation.

Then you miss stuff, influence, comments and the like.

And you don't need those, because you don't want companions anyway, because it's OP and you want to do stuff solo.

Edited by -Spc

Put them on passive lol

That is merely masking the problem and is unfair for players to force a handicap upon themselves in order to enjoy their game.

What makes my enjoyment less important than the enjoyment of someone else?

Edited by Brodoin

People think their companion is what's making the game into a YouTube video because that's easy for them to focus on--"Hey, my companion has more health than me!" But what's really making the game too easy is Mr. Big Bad Enemy hits like a wet noodle in the actual game.

You know, that's an excellent point.

I think it was back when 3.0 was first released (I could have my timing off) but I remember loud screams from the rafters about how "silver mobs are OP", "nerf mobs", "I'm being one-shot while leveling", yada yada yada. You couldn't throw a stone without hitting 47 forum posts complaining about how mobs were overtuned.

I wonder if, as a part of "streamlining the leveling process for 4.0", mob outgoing damage was reduced.

Yes I'm making another thread on this, but for constructive purposes only please. We have enough useless whiny threads on both sides of the argument as it is.

Now, no one in their right mind could say comps aren't OP right now. The real question is whether this is good or not. Since this has been discussed to death already, I'll not cover that here. However, in the current state, everyone can get what they want with a little creativity.

All you need to do is disable some of their abilities on your companions (right click on them so the icon in the top right is black, not green). The level of difficulty desired can be achieved by playing with role/ability combinations.

It's an amazing thing, everyone can be happy.

If anyone has found combinations that feel very "3.0ish," do share. Might shut about about 1% of the yammering on the forums (maybe I'm being optimistic here)

Also, take away their mainhand, maybe?

That should drastically reduce even healer comp damage, I hope so anyway; if I wanted to actually have my tension levels increase, I'd do that, in addition to unchecking all companion abilities, as you've suggested.

Now, no one in their right mind could say comps aren't OP right now.

If you say so.

Because they're not. Yes, they make leveling a lot more easier, and soloing content that was more challenging to solo is easier with one. But there's still tons of hard content in which they're utterly useless, and in anything that matters -- such as ops and PVP -- they're a non-issue all around.

I mean, I've heard people say asinine things like "a level 65 companion can totally heal good enough for ops!" except they then proceed to completely set aside how *********** retarded companions are, and how useless they are because of that very reason. No one's going to kick half their op group just to make room for an equal number of companions, which they would if they were truly "OP." Because, you know, they're not. At all.

And for anyone who's ever had a really high Presence score and outfitted their companions with the best gear available for their level, they know that the new companion system isn't that much different from how it was before. Because that's pretty much just the default now for them, with no option to actually improve them aside from Affection. Hence why that's the baseline now. For simplicity's sake, and so that once you're fully geared out in endgame, you're companions won't be utterly useless.

Sure, the easier solution would be to simply give them the same equivalence of gear as to whatever you're wearing, but that would require actual work on Bioware's part. It was just easier to assume they have the best stuff and be done with it.

And admittedly, some (okay, most) of the story quests need to have their big encounters re-tuned for the changes, but that's about the only real problem with the new system. And if you'll note, that's a problem with the encounters and how level syncing works, not the companions. You know, the encounters you could do without your companions and still utterly gobsmack them without breaking a sweat. (But the whiners tend to ignore that aspect, cause "OP companions, whaaa!")

Regardless, and sorry, but it's only the people who aren't in their right mind that's whining about this stuff. Companions are fine. Game needs some retuning in a few minor places. Otherwise it's perfectly fine.

And most importantly, the game is much more enjoyable without the amount of tedium that existed before while leveling if you didn't have millions of credits to waste re-gearing every handful of levels.

Edited by NeuroticCupcake

I don't think anyone (st least not many) people are complaining about not gaving to regear them and the role change is practically universal in people's appreciation.

The problem is not killing trash mobs or wanting them game slowed down, it's that companions can solo all the boss content while levelling. I used to have to learn my class and use my brain to beat the bosses, now I can put my companion in any of their three roles and go afk. The only thing that changes is how fast they win.

As for people bleating on about dismissing companions, putting them in passive or any of the other ideas, well they simply haven't thought it through. Before the patch if I died, I knew it was my fault. The game was possible, 10000s of other people have done these quests already, if I lose my boss fight its MY fault.

If I randomly dismiss or gimp my companion and keep dying how do I know if it's too difficult, or if it's me? I have nothing to gage it on. I could still be crap at my class, or I could have just made it too hard. I don't like impossible challenges (I hated gaming in the 80s...) but I do want to be needed to win my character defining battles.