The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stabilized Armour NEEDS To be In Pyro

Cempa

Giving Pyros Stabilized Armor really seems like the most logical choice. APs are performing a bit too well at the moment and Pyros are underpowered. This small change would get them both in line.

There's a reason why Pyros used to have Stabilized Armor in their tree - we're very vulnerable when we try to use our signature ability - Superheated Flamethrower.

Giving Pyros Stabilized Armor really seems like the most logical choice. APs are performing a bit too well at the moment and Pyros are underpowered. This small change would get them both in line.

There's a reason why Pyros used to have Stabilized Armor in their tree - we're very vulnerable when we try to use our signature ability - Superheated Flamethrower.

Referring to DPS powertech specs pre-3.0 is quite ambiguous.

Suffice to say, we had two specs: burst railshot reset spec, and direct sustained cleave spec.

The former had a really awesome adrenaline rush, and that deguass defense chance, and great burst. The great burst was removed in like 2.4.

The latter had a great energy shield, and 30% stun DR and aoe reduction, because yes, being still up in front of the enemy, and being a MELEE CASTER makes one more likely to be stunned and AoE'd.

Then of course in 3.0, they put every good defensive talent into a MORE BURSTIER spec, and made a super sustained spec with almost no defense. The only defensive talent that this sustained, new pyrotech spec was hugely nerfed: A talent that WAS a possible 36 sec CD on adrenaline rush was nerfed to a 2 min CD on adrenaline rush.

It is only now in 4.0 that pyrotech properly gets its newly buffed potential 30 sec CD on adrenaline rush. Perhaps pyro can be decent, now.

"30 sec CD on adrenaline rush"

ha? what dose that mean?

It means that, in a WZ environment or long fight, the active CD reduction of Kolto essentially can make it a 30-second cooldown. This is HUGE and should have always functioned as such. It was a good part of what made 2.10 Pyro so awesome.

Referring to DPS powertech specs pre-3.0 is quite ambiguous.

Suffice to say, we had two specs: burst railshot reset spec, and direct sustained cleave spec.

The former had a really awesome adrenaline rush, and that deguass defense chance, and great burst. The great burst was removed in like 2.4.

The latter had a great energy shield, and 30% stun DR and aoe reduction, because yes, being still up in front of the enemy, and being a MELEE CASTER makes one more likely to be stunned and AoE'd.

Then of course in 3.0, they put every good defensive talent into a MORE BURSTIER spec, and made a super sustained spec with almost no defense. The only defensive talent that this sustained, new pyrotech spec was hugely nerfed: A talent that WAS a possible 36 sec CD on adrenaline rush was nerfed to a 2 min CD on adrenaline rush.

It is only now in 4.0 that pyrotech properly gets its newly buffed potential 30 sec CD on adrenaline rush. Perhaps pyro can be decent, now.

Thanks for this post. The Adrenaline Rush change is definitely nice - but will it be enough? As you've mentioned, having Stabilized Armour on a melee caster class seems like the most logical choice. And it'd double as an AP nerf, which is definitely deserved.

Thanks for this post. The Adrenaline Rush change is definitely nice - but will it be enough? As you've mentioned, having Stabilized Armour on a melee caster class seems like the most logical choice. And it'd double as an AP nerf, which is definitely deserved.

Firstly, as someone who played AP pre 3.0 and current AP and current Pro - no. Nerfing the other spec is not the answer. Additionally, placing both the 30% DR while stunned and the Kolto DR/quick CD on the same spec would be stupid as hell. What Pyro needs is a straight up new defensive talent.

As for AP nerfs, its defensives are fine. It's energy burst that needs to be toned down. All the other abilities hit for great amounts, there's no reason Energy Burst needs to hit as hard as it does.

After doing some WZs and arenas in Pyro spec now that the kolto ability is fixed....it really is enough. It does not need stabilized armor.

HOWEVER, I do think Proto flamer needs to be made a little more worth it to use. As it stands, the cleave is very weak and not very rewarding. Even if you were "tanky" while using it, it's not like it really does enough damage to make it worth the effort. Instead, boost the damage on it up a bit so that when you can pull it off, its destructive.

Additionally, while I do feel the fixed Kolto functions just fine now as a primary DCD, Pyro could still use another lesser DCD, something akin to AP's 30% defense chance, or possibly just an extra 5% DR tacked into a discipline box somewhere?

Regardless, I recommend setting up your gear properly (Pyro is burstier than you might think - not AP levels obviously, but I just got a 17k on Immolate), and to maximize the kolto DCD I would take the second stun breaker.

Not only does the second stun breaker help you maximize uptime when kolto is active, you essentially have a CONSTANT STUN BREAKER AVAILABLE. This helps dramatically with the stun issues you guys are complaining about. The utility meshes *perfectly* with current Pyro.

Edited by KainrycKarr

So how would you gear for pyro?

If you want to maximize burst, same way you'd gear for anything else - full power/crit, and crit or power augs.

I see way too many people still using accuracy on their pvp gear. If you wanted to maximize pressure, I'd aim for 10%ish alacrity, and rest in power/crit.

To get the huge hits on immolate (and railshot to a lesser extent) make sure to get your windows lined up. Watch for auto-crit and double relic procs, and use your explosive fuel at the most opportune time.

For example, the highest you'll hit with immolate is when you have a double relic proc, auto crit, and explosive fuel up. The way crit functions now, whenever you have an auto crit or an ability exceeds 100% crit chance, any extra crit chance goes into critical damage dealt. So explosive fuel basically grants you extra critical damage on immolate and rail shot autocrits.

Right now, I'm hitting between 10 and 15k average on most of my abilities, in addition to the dot damage being pushed out. The result is respectable burst with great pressure.

I only bother with prototype flamer if I'm fighting a jug with reflect up, or if there's 3+ enemies clumped up and I've got carbonize off CD.

I've flirted with 3k DPS on my Plasmatech a few times. It depends on the group comp and settings.

While it won't ever be FOTM in Rated Warzones ( Tactics Burst is just too good ) it works just fine in regs. A couple of quality of life changes to our defenses would help the playstyle of this class, as we are a bit of a glass pulse cannon.

And remember, warzone numbers will always be a bit skewed at the start of expansions, especially this one. There's so many non pvp'ers doing warzones for the Alliance quests and fresh instant 60's who have only played 5 levels of their new class and have no clue what to do ( to go along with having no gear ). I'd wait to see what the normal numbers are and the majority of the pvp'ers have gear before labeling certain abilities as hard hitting. For example, a 17k Fire Pulse sounds really high, but it's still in line with what it was doing pre 4.0 when you compare it with some of the other abilities that crit high.

Going by the numbers I've seen and have done personally:

Pre 4.0 Fire Pulse - 10k

Post 4.0 Fire Pulse - 20k

Pre 4.0 Demo Round - 16k

Post 4.0 Demo Round - 26k

Pre 4.0 Aimed Shot - 18k

Post 4.0 Aimed Shot - 30k

Edited by Arehonn