The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard/Powertech - Are they allowed to be melee dps in dungeons/raids?

BlaineSwing

I am playing on the harbinger server, and people are saying in the general chat that BH PT/ SW Jug/ Imp Agent Op are not allowed to be melee dps in dungeons, and raids. That only SI Assassins, and SW Mara will be brought to raids. That if I wanted to dps as BH, I have to be a Merc specced BH. Is this true? If so, I have not seen this amount of class limitations in PvE content since WoW the Burning Crusade.

Melee DPS in Operations and FP's is kinda touchy. The older content (Pre-SoR) was friendly-er to Melee DPS than the SoR content was. With 4.0, Melee DPS got quite a bit of improvements, so much so that all Melee DPS are viable again, HOWEVER. You need to keep in mind that the 4 Class Buffs (Unlimited Power, Tactical Superiority, Bloodthirst, and Supercharged Celerity) are still useful, and should be obtained in your Raid team. My reccomendation for getting all of them is, Sorc and Op healer, Merc and Mara DPS. Then you can choose 2 more DPS, I recommend a Sniper for Sniper Bubble, and either a Powertech or Assassin. Depending on what Tanks you choose (Juggernaut should always be 1 of your 2 tanks, with PT/Sin being the other, depending on your extra non-Sniper DPS)

This configuration grants you

All 4 Class Buffs

All 3 AOE Taunt Buffs

AND Sniper Bubble.

You still have 2 Ranged DPS, and 2 Melee DPS, which is not ideal for Ravagers and Temple of Sacrifice, however, it maximizes your raid's chances of clearing Enrage Timers and not dying (Sniper Bubble and AOE Taunt buffs allow you to cheese soo many mechanics it's not even funny!)

Thank you very much for the reply. That sounds better than what I was hearing, but it sounds like it is still an issue sometimes. Merc / Mara / Assassin are just flat out easier to get a raid/dungeon slot to play as a dps spec than dps PT/Jug, correct?

Only in certain HMs and in NiMs would you need that level of group cohesion. SM is so ridiculously easy now that it doesn't matter (my guildies and I just four-manned level 65-scaled kp and ev sm on level 60-63 toons. Thanks bolster!)

PT is fine and great melee dps with one spec providing nice burst and the other great aoe as extra flair.

Really, you can play what you like. If PT dps is your flavour then play it. Anyone who tells you PTs supposedly aren't good enough for raids is a delusional fool.

We've had PT dps in both our NiM teams since mid 3.0.

For starters, i wouldn't even call Vanguards melee. Close-ranged? Sure. But 10 meters is pretty big distance, and you need to go in 4 meters for literally 1 move once in a blue moon, for both specs.

Mid-range isn't normally thing that is listed on classes in most rpgs, even though you are correct, for the most part. At the end of the day, I think most would view it as a Melee spec, even though it is still decently ranged.

To answer the ops question; anyone who told you that only maras and assassin's are allowed to melee DPS is completely nuts. I did HM prog on my scoundrel and juggernaut DPS, it's very doable. A lot of people just assume some classes can't DPS.

The only thing that us true about that concept is that it does make sense to have a balanced group of melee and ranged, and maras have bloodthirst; but honestly specific group balance is really only a concern for some HM or NiM fights, and I think at this point that all classes are at least viable.

Besides, PTs have hydraulic overrides.

Thank you very much for the reply. That sounds better than what I was hearing, but it sounds like it is still an issue sometimes. Merc / Mara / Assassin are just flat out easier to get a raid/dungeon slot to play as a dps spec than dps PT/Jug, correct?

Vengeance Juggernauts are pretty faceroll. Rage Jugg is not faceroll. AP PT is CERTAINLY not Faceroll, it's pretty hard. and Pyrotech is in the middle for difficulty. Arsenal Mercs are really fun and easy to play, but have slightly lower numbers than their Sniper bretheren, However, Innovative Ordinance is pretty close to the king of DoT spec DPS. Marauders range from faceroll (Fury), to balls to the wall hard (Carnage). And Sin's... Well you only have 1 viable DPS spec as a Sin anyway, and that's Hatred. the positional Requirements for Maul with Deception are too hindering for most bosses, and the same goes for Concealment Ops. I seriously think that Backstab and Maul need a no-positional requirement buff.

Vengeance Juggernauts are pretty faceroll. Rage Jugg is not faceroll. AP PT is CERTAINLY not Faceroll, it's pretty hard. and Pyrotech is in the middle for difficulty. Arsenal Mercs are really fun and easy to play, but have slightly lower numbers than their Sniper bretheren, However, Innovative Ordinance is pretty close to the king of DoT spec DPS. Marauders range from faceroll (Fury), to balls to the wall hard (Carnage). And Sin's... Well you only have 1 viable DPS spec as a Sin anyway, and that's Hatred. the positional Requirements for Maul with Deception are too hindering for most bosses, and the same goes for Concealment Ops. I seriously think that Backstab and Maul need a no-positional requirement buff.

I play a Feral Druid in WoW, I am not too worried about how hard a class's rotation is. While I prefer not to have positional requirements, I am use to them as well. I mostly just wanted to know if I can get into a raid on those specific classes/advanced classes. Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Edited by BlaineSwing

Standing in the face of the boss is bad idea on every melee class. Also, have you seen the size of "backstab" area? Sometimes it feels like >180 degrees. So no, positional requirements aren't that restraining. And both deception and scrapper compensate for it with superior survivability.

1) Wat?

2) Decep > Hatred for pve dps in 4.0, however strange that may sound. Get your facts straight.

Edited by Eksenia

AP PT is probably the second easiest PVE DPS class to succeed with in the game, easiest being Arsenal Mercenary. you bring plenty of utility with sonic rebounder, have no range/mobility issues, and mid to top notch DPS while having easy target swapping, higher uptime than other melee, and a pretty faceroll rotation.