Question about companions in SWTOR 4.0

Darcorn

Hey guys! I am extremely hyped up to play KoTFE. I've read about the changes to companions. What I'm confused about is the "companions won't need to be geared as you level anymore".

Does it mean that their stats will increase as they level up?? If I get Treek at level 10 for example then I won't have to gear her up (she won't be undergeared at some point in the game"

In addition, I would expect that Presence continues to effect your companions' effectiveness as it has in the past.

Yeah Presence and influence affect the companions ability in combat, but essentially all gear you put on your companions is cosmetic only and any stats on that gear will not be used.

Any tips on how to increase Presence? I've been leveling a few toons and my Presence never increased....

You get a boost in presence when you have max affection with them (I think it is a minor increase of +10 presence but with all companions unlocked it will add up to a nice sum, somewhere around 400). They are removing the achievements for the max affection in the expansion and we are waiting for the blog that will explain the new alliance setting we have in the expansion.

I think we will read more about the changes tomorrow.

I also think there is a +100 boost in presence when you unlock the human in the game, either with cartel coins or leveling one up to 50.

Datacrons can also give presence, but I am not sure what happens with those in the expansion yet.

Edited by Icestar

Any tips on how to increase Presence? I've been leveling a few toons and my Presence never increased....

When you reach 10k on the companion affection, you get a boost to your presence as a result of this. However, I believe this only comes into play with your core companions. Companions such as HK and Treek I don't believe give the presence increase. And odds are the new companion we are about to get won't either.

The point about the companion changes is so everyone has a base line to work with. I doubt augments will improve the companions performance any more and people also tended to put their companions in PVP gear to do OWPVP which also gave them an unfair advantage against players whose companions were in normal PVE gear.

In the eyes of the Devs, they probably saw this as an exploit both ways. Either by making them too powerful in PVE content or making them too powerful for OWPVP.

I'm not sure if I'm for the all the changes coming to companions. It just seems to be that companions lose their unique identity. It doesn't matter who you summon, it sounds like they will now all perform the same core abilities. sure there are companions I have never used, but I'm one of those people who like the companions to be their own individual selves. I like the idea that they all have their own unique take on combat.

You get a boost in presence when you have max affection with them (I think it is a minor increase of +10 presence but with all companions unlocked it will add up to a nice sum, somewhere around 400). They are removing the achievements for the max affection in the expansion and we are waiting for the blog that will explain the new alliance setting we have in the expansion.

I think we will read more about the changes tomorrow.

I also think there is a +100 boost in presence when you unlock the human in the game, either with cartel coins or leveling one up to 50.

Datacrons can also give presence, but I am not sure what happens with those in the expansion yet.

The datacrons I believe are going legacy bound soon. But I also think they are switching to mastery instead of core skill bonuses. I suspect the secondary skill bonuses will probably stay the same, but any of the primary skill datacrons (strength, willpower, cunning, aim) will likely all be switched to mastery.

I also suspect that the number increase assigned to the individual datacrons will change. Switching all of those datacrons to mastery and keeping their bonus numbers intact, would lead to a massive point increase to Mastery. This would force everyone who wants to stay even remotely competitive to go after all of the datacrons in game.

The datacrons I believe are going legacy bound soon. But I also think they are switching to mastery instead of core skill bonuses. I suspect the secondary skill bonuses will probably stay the same, but any of the primary skill datacrons (strength, willpower, cunning, aim) will likely all be switched to mastery.

Yeah the other stats will be mastery, but if the presence also counts as mastery we will have a very high boost through the datacrons. That is why I am not sure what will happen with the upcomming legacy datacrons when it comes to presence.

The fun part is that we will know for sure tomorrow :tran_smile:

Perhaps even tonight if they write in the patchnotes.

Edited by Icestar

When you reach 10k on the companion affection, you get a boost to your presence as a result of this. However, I believe this only comes into play with your core companions. Companions such as HK and Treek I don't believe give the presence increase. And odds are the new companion we are about to get won't either.

Actually currently I think you only get the presence buff after completing the full companion story and not at 10k. so on that note:

So you currently get

+10 presence per completed companion story so a total of +400 presence in total.

+100 presence when you have completed a level 50 with a human character or you can purchase this unlock using cartel coins.

+?? datacron buffs (I assume that only the mainstat datacrons get converted to mastery and the presence one stays the same, but tomorrow will tell for sure).

Edited by Jedi_riches

+100 presence when you have completed a class story with a human character.

I searched a bit for the correct information and all sources say it is about the "human unlock" so it it is level 50 or the cartel coin unlock that is valid for the +100 boost not the class story.

If you find a source stating something else I would like to see it.

I searched a bit for the correct information and all sources say it is about the "human unlock" so it it is level 50 or the cartel coin unlock that is valid for the +100 boost not the class story.

If you find a source stating something else I would like to see it.

Actually thinking about it I think you are right it is 50 I will amend accordingly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.