The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New tournament!

Aurbere

Greetings!

After doing some pondering on Beni’s current tournament, I decided to address some minor weaknesses in it that I see by creating my own tournament which will run parallel to Beni’s. Essentially, the tournament is similar to Beni’s in that it is primarily about the debaters behind the characters, rather than the characters themselves. To that end, the rules for conduct and such in the matches will be very similar. For reference, I’ll post modified rules for coduct:

Debate Rules

Essentially, provide arguments as to why your choice of character would prove victorious, offer rebuttals, and create analyses on the match-up. Remember to keep the debate both clean and focused. Flaming, insults, etc are generally frowned upon by the community. Banter is, of course, allowed, provided it doesn't derail the thread or devolve into something more than that.

Voting Rules

Voting commences when the competitors decide the debate has run its course, at this point spectators will be able and be encouraged to provide, if they wish, a detailed analysis/personal verdict on who they think will win and why based on the arguments made. Note at this stage the debate is over, so no rebuttals. Remember that voting is based on the arguments made, rather than the preconceived opinions that you held before the debate started.

Additionally, verdicts are decided by popular vote, rather than by a single individual. This is to add increased weight to the opinions and votes put forth by spectators.

As for character selection and match creation, the system is very loose. Rules posted below.

• Rather than having people pick a set of characters and stick with them for the rest of the tourney, participants pick a new character for each match they are in.

• Each match serves as a fresh start. When participants are paired against each other, they are allowed to engage in discussions about which character (or characters) they will choose and then a match can get started once they reach an agreement. Essentially, this allows both participants to enter a match confident in their choices and will have a greater focus on their ability to argue rather than the luck of having a good match-up.

• Match-ups are completely random and the tournament bracket will be created here: http://challonge.com/tournament/bracket_generator

Additional Rules:

• There is a 2-week waiting period between responses. While downtimes are to be expected and I am sympathetic to those who are too busy to work out a response, it is important to ensure that the tournament doesn’t stall. 2 weeks should be long enough to provide an argument. However, if you find yourself unable to respond in time, the most important thing you can do is let others know. I can and will provide an extension if you let me know you can’t post in time.

• Banned characters include: Vitiate, Yoda, Darth Sidious, Luke Skywalker, any and all entities (the Ones, Abeloth, Nihilus, the Bedlam Spirits), and characters with little to no information on them.

That’s basically it for now. Provide your thoughts below. And if you would like to participate, go ahead and say so!

*Disclaimer: Name for the tournament is a work in progress :p