Achievement Leaderboards?

Vallerine

This has been asked for a few times now.

The PvP leaderboards are published - but it's common knowledge the majority of people don't do PvP.

Those that don't would see the achievements leaderboards as a target, as a board they would like to get onto and attempt to raise themselves up.

Never seen a yellow post in response to this suggestion however.

If it helps populate late-game vanilla planets from Quesh onwards, why not. No matter the timezone or the server, there are always less than 40-50 players on those planets and rarely bump into someone else, which makes difficult to find people for heroics and similar stuff.

At least, with something like this in mind, people would have a reason to visit or re-visit a planet for achievements.

Look at Makeb. Same story as above, in 2 years I've never found more than 50 people connected there at the same time, now since they announced the retirement of 2 achievements and semi-exclusive decoration for whoever has them before they're removed, there are always a couple of instances full of people that are there just for 2 achievements.

Look at Makeb. Same story as above, in 2 years I've never found more than 50 people connected there at the same time, now since they announced the retirement of 2 achievements and semi-exclusive decoration for whoever has them before they're removed, there are always a couple of instances full of people that are there just for 2 achievements.

They are there for a specific thing connected to the achievements, not for some generic epeenery.

They are there for a specific thing connected to the achievements, not for some generic epeenery.

Makeb got populated again after 2 years for a semi-exclusive reward tied to 2 achievements. Other planets can get populated again if the reward is a spotlight position in a leaderboard plus eventual new achievements and titles that go with it.

It's like conquest. I personally couldn't care less about conquest nor I understand why people would bother with it, yet a lot of people are so bothered by it that they would do anything to appear on the conquest leaderboard because they need their 15 minutes of fame. An achievement leaderboard would serve the same purpose and have the same results.

It's that simple.

Edited by JeKoCZ

It's like conquest. I personally couldn't care less about conquest nor I understand why people would bother with it, yet a lot of people are so bothered by it that they would do anything to appear on the conquest leaderboard because they need their 15 minutes of fame. An achievement leaderboard would serve the same purpose and have the same results.

Like with the Makeb achievement everyone is trying to get, you actually get in-game swag for "winning" Conquest. An achievement leaderboard is pure epeenery.

It's that simple.

Like with the Makeb achievement everyone is trying to get, you actually get in-game swag for "winning" Conquest. An achievement leaderboard is pure epeenery.

It's that simple.

And what exactly is the problem with that?

You're not gonna measure up I'm assuming?

Why shouldn't there be a way people who have decided to play the game in a particular way cannot show-off what they have done?

I see nothing wrong with it, many people play games to be competitive.

And there are plenty of opportunities to be competitive without adding something very few people would care about: achievement epeenery, since it gets you nothing other than the achievement, unlike "winning" Conquest (which gets stuff).

And there are plenty of opportunities to be competitive without adding something very few people would care about: achievement epeenery, since it gets you nothing other than the achievement, unlike "winning" Conquest (which gets stuff).

If you don't want to do it then don't others may want to, your play style is not shared by everyone.

I don't think we need a system to make achievements competitive. Unlike other competitive systems in-game, there is an absolute end to achievements. Once you unlock them all, you've got them all, it'll be said and done.

I personally can't stand leaderboards, as it alienates casual players, and it makes earning an achievement a lot less meaningful as people will start doing it JUST to rank higher on a leaderboard. Achievements are meant to be an accomplishment for completing certain tasks, once you make them competitive, you take the accomplishment portion out of it and make it just another thing to do to rank higher. That's why you don't see Sony or Microsoft adding leaderboards for their achievement systems. Aside from the first gamer that reached 1 mil achievement score on Xbox, there is no 'competition' or anything going on. Nor do I honestly believe achievements alone are a good way to prove you're better, as a lot of achievements really don't take any work to earn, as some are earned just from buying the social items.

I still think its an OK idea, I know quite a few achievement chasers in game that would love it, and those that don't would probably ignore it anyway, like many players that ignore conquest and pvp leader boards now.

My style of "I don't think adding feature X is worth the dev resources" is shared by everyone. It's all a matter of what "feature X" happens to be.

You don't seem to understand the difference between something you wouldn't use in game and something that's not worth implementing for people that would.

You are suffering from delusions of grandeur, no opinion of yours 'is shared by everyone.' Many people post here without strawmen 'play like I do' arguments, and without buzz words like 'dev resources' used to uphold said arguments. Many of us just like to throw around ideas that we think would be cool as it is a suggestion forum. You choose to be a constant wet blanket, most do not.

Edited by Monumenta