New to game and confused about crafting/gathering skills

tristarfighter

Hopefully this is in the right post thread...

I am a returning/new player to SWTOR, last time i played was before the hutt cartel came out so at this point coming back I feel like a completely new player to the game, and was curious about the gathering and crafting skills. Is the system one that is viable for self improvements gear wise for you and your companion? Or is it like every other game out there and they are nothing more than a waste of time because of how fast you'll out-gear crafted items?

If it is worth it, could someone maybe help explain what might be good for a beginner to take? If at all possible if anyone knows any good guides they could recommend that would be nice as well. I'm never successful in finding helpful guides that are able to answer my questions, most of the ones I find are made more for those who have played the game and have some knowledge of the system and need more of a refresher course which are good but I feel there is always more to it than what I read.

It depends on how up to level you want your gear to be. If you use the same gear until you're starting to get into trouble, yes, you can craft your own gear. But you're going to need more than one crafting skill to get both armor and weapons. Synthweaving for Force users and Armormech for everyone else to get your armor. Artifice and Armstech for your weapons.

If you focus on modable gear, you instead need to craft armor, mods, enhancements, color crystals, and one of hilts and barrels. Cybertech does armor and mods. Artifice does enhancements, color crystals and hilts. While Armstech does barrels.

Edited by Dragondog

What I am answering will probably not hold true once the expansion <KOTFE> comes out, but this was what I did.

As a subscriber, I put different toons in different crafts, so yes, I was pretty much able to stay on-level with my characters and my crafting. One caveat - this was before the 12x experience. Now the exp makes you out-pace crafting.

That said, I did spend a significant portion of my time crafting. One thing, I didn't really craft much until I got my ship, so I could play <with first companion out>, and used the ship droid for crafting until I got more companions later on in the stories.

When you first go to the fleet talk to all of the 14 different craftmasters <then hit "cancel" so you don't actually train them.> This will give you 14 entries under the "game rules" section. They pretty much give you information on what are good gathering/ mission skills that go along with each "profession", but in short, they are this:

Biotech/ Bioanalysis/ Diplomacy

Cybertech/ Scavenging/ Underworld Trading

Sythweaving/ Archaeology/ Underworld Trading

Artifice/ Archaeology/ Treasure Hunting

Armstech/ Scavenging/ Investigation

Armortech/ Scavenging/ Underworld Trading

And - in a class by itself, Slicing. <gathering>This one is <right now> very good for earning credits in and by itself.

As a subscriber you can pick up to 3 to train. <not sure what it is for F2P or preferred, I started as F2P but by the time I got to the "ship", I had become "hooked" and subscribed.

To make some things, particularly if you get a stronghold and want to make decorations and such <which I did a lot of>, you have to have components/materials from other crafts.

Gear augments and augment kits are a key item that only players can make and are sought after by practically everyone. Depending on what stats you are interested in, will depend on what skill you need to make that particular Augment. But your weapon and armor skills can do their own specific type of augments lines. For example, armsmith can make the Overkill augment.

Cybertech can make a variety of items, but for the most part these items either don't sell for a lot or are different models of other items available from vendors or quests.

Slicing is the fall back by a number of players who don't know what else to get. This skill will pay for itself even if you just send companions to run missions and don't slice resource nodes in the game world. But by end game content there is quite a bit of money to be made at places like Yavin 4.

The medical crafting line can be used by anybody and any class. It makes stims and health packs. Also not a huge price demand for these items, but it is great to give your toons a bit of an edge in combat when needed. But also weaker versions of the stims and health packs are available on vendors and as loot drops.

As for the mission related companion skills, this is what you can do to get your purple and blue crafting items. You have to run "rich" or "wealthy" level missions to get a purple, and then only "wealthy" is guaranteed to give you those.

Resource gathering has its peaks and falls in price. It is also dependent on the supply and demand on your server. But once the expansion hits, there will probably be a high demand for all max level resources for several weeks.

Hmm alright I see where everyone is coming from about the gathering and crafting. On an alt I will definitely take and talk with each one to get each entry into the codex I didn't realize you could do that.

So then I want to say that crafting still sounds viable even with the exp boost albeit it would take a bit more of a push to get running and all but I feel it would be worth it. So basically I would almost want at least three different toons with a different production so that any new alts I could gear up with either gear itself or use moddable gear?

How is crafting towards end game content? I am not sure if SWTOR has any type of raids or anything at end game but if they do it would be something to get into and would be nice to have crafting with me already if it is something worth having for that portion of the game.

How is crafting towards end game content? I am not sure if SWTOR has any type of raids or anything at end game but if they do it would be something to get into and would be nice to have crafting with me already if it is something worth having for that portion of the game.

There are raids, they are called operations or OPS. You can check the names of them in my thread, they are listed at the top.

I have all crafting skills at max level and to be honest I barely use them. The only crafting tradeskill I use at the moment is biochem but that was a while ago when I created lots of stims to boost my characters. About 7-8 months ago I created augments they are a extra upgrade for the armor and weapons.

They will change the tradeskills somehow in the expansion but I am not sure what they will do, we have to wait and see. I really hope they will become more useful then they are now.

The cartel market have all the cool looking gear and weapons so there is actually no need at the moment to craft those.

Edited by Icestar

There are raids, they are called operations or OPS. You can check the names of them in my thread, they are listed at the top.

I have all crafting skills at max level and to be honest I barely use them. The only crafting tradeskill I use at the moment is biochem but that was a while ago when I created lots of stims to boost my characters. About 7-8 months ago I created augments they are a extra upgrade for the armor and weapons.

They will change the tradeskills somehow in the expansion but I am not sure what they will do, we have to wait and see. I really hope they will become more useful then they are now.

The cartel market have all the cool looking gear and weapons so there is actually no need at the moment to craft those.

Yeah I've been reading about changes coming and with the new expansion coming out soon it would probably be better to wait.

Thank you everyone for your replies and information regarding the crafting/gathering skills it was helpful to go ahead and learn this information regarding the skills. Any more help and tips is appreciated. Thank you again:D

Yeah I've been reading about changes coming and with the new expansion coming out soon it would probably be better to wait.

I think it is safe to say that you will benefit from leveling your tradeskills now if you decide what skills you like. I ment that we have to wait and see what will change :tran_smile:

The tradeskills will not go away, we simply do not know exactly what will happen with them in the expansion yet.

Edited by Icestar

The way the game is at the moment I don't think there is any point in being concerned about what crew skill will help you with gear while you are levelling up. You get more than sufficient amounts of basic commendations which can be used to by mods from the relevant modifications vendors in the supplies area of fleet. All you need is a set of orange gear which you can replace the mods of as you level. I have done numerous characters to level 60 and you only need to replace the mods about 3 or 4 times on the way to 60.

Biochem is good to have to be able to make health and attribute stims for yourself but any of the crafting crew skills can make credits when you get to 60. If you don't necessarily like crafting you can pick up slicing and some gathering crew skills and just gather materials and sell them in the galactic trade network.