A wrong outcome on Alderaan - warning minor spoiler

Shayddow

In one of the "world" quests, you have a choice whether to free Stanel Thuls daughter <imperial side> from the Killik brainwashers or leave her there as a joiner - afterwards either telling Thul she 1. was brainwashed or 2. lie to the general and tell him that she was dead.

for one of my alt characters just recently chose to tell the man his daughter was dead. I subsequently got the SAME in-game mail that others of my characters did when they told him that she had been brainwashed -- , that is, that he was going to try to rescue his daughter when the war is over. Now, he was told that she was dead by this character....

SO.... ooops? either I got the wrong mail response, or the story did not respect the conversation choice.

I think you got the wrong mail response, this game is usually good about respecting your choices at least as far as immediate consequences/responses. This has been happening to me recently as well. Quests that used to be fine now act like I chose a different option than I did.