PvP Guidance for healing

ArcherOrant

So let me start out by saying I am a healer at heart. I have done lots of Sorc/Sage and Merc/Commando healing in both PvP and PvE, had a ball doing it. This Season though I decided to do something new to me: Operative. I have played them before, but never anything too serious in PvP.

What I am looking for is guidance in survivability when solo queueing for ranked PvP. I found that I seem to have difficulty when I get 2-3 DPS/tank on me and I simply can't get away. I know that healers are meant to be focused, but I feel I am doing something wrong. Here is what all tools I am utilizing:

-LoS as much as possible

-Rolling only once to save my second roll if needed

-Using evasion to clear the DoTs my cleanse can't

-Using my shield on cool down

-Using my slow on cool down

-Using my flash bang to interrupt key abilities

-Stealth out if all else fails and I need to cleanse

I know my HPS is a bit low, but I manage to put out about 2.2k HPS/match. Does anyone have any good videos or tricks of the trade to provide? :)

So let me start out by saying I am a healer at heart. I have done lots of Sorc/Sage and Merc/Commando healing in both PvP and PvE, had a ball doing it. This Season though I decided to do something new to me: Operative. I have played them before, but never anything too serious in PvP.

What I am looking for is guidance in survivability when solo queueing for ranked PvP. I found that I seem to have difficulty when I get 2-3 DPS/tank on me and I simply can't get away. I know that healers are meant to be focused, but I feel I am doing something wrong. Here is what all tools I am utilizing:

-LoS as much as possible

-Rolling only once to save my second roll if needed

-Using evasion to clear the DoTs my cleanse can't

-Using my shield on cool down

-Using my slow on cool down

-Using my flash bang to interrupt key abilities

-Stealth out if all else fails and I need to cleanse

I know my HPS is a bit low, but I manage to put out about 2.2k HPS/match. Does anyone have any good videos or tricks of the trade to provide? :)

Solo ranked currently is hard for OP healers since we are little more gimped then Sorcs. If you are being tunneled by 2-3 good DPS there isn't much you can do. You have to just rotate though your DCDs correctly, kite and try to save your stealth out for as long as possible. If you know you are the target wait till your group engages first. Let them use some of their DCDs before starting to heal. Being tunneled isn't fun you aren't suppose to survive being attacked consistently by 2-3 people. You need your teams support or you will die after you rotated through DCDs. Ask for peels, pulls, CCs on DPS etc.

Trust me I have lost games when I had two Sorcs free casting in my team while i was being tunneled by 3 DPS. We lost that game because i never had 1 bubble, cc, pull or off heal the whole game (even when I asked them to help and at least pull me away from melee). That loss was on them and it's frustrating. The better DPS you have on my your team the higher survivablely you will have

Other comments: your flash is a strong ability.. I wouldn't waste it as an interupt unless necessary. Also your HPS is a bit low. I'm guessing you are having problems keeping up HOTs. I know it's hard but you need to keep refreshing them on your group even when you are being attacked or kiting. I range about 2.5-4k HPS in 3 DPS games and 3k-5k HPS in tank/healer games (depending on DPS comps).

Here is some of my tips for operative healers in solo:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=821478

Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I just really need to figure out how to keep my HoTs rolling when being focused so hard >.< I did some more matches last night with regular WZs and my HPS was much higher (yay starparse!). I even resulted to convincing my one assassin friend to help me with kiting as he beat on me (for some reason this wasn't very difficult to convince him of lol).

I'll read over the guide you provided though and report back on my progress ^_^