The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Customizable Companion

A customizable companion.

This has been a long-time personal wish for this game.

Is it fair that Jedi and Sith can have non-force wielding companions but other classes can not?

Well, with this customizable companion you can have that Jedi or Sith following you around.

How about a Medic Droid or a Mandalorian Mercenary? What about an Imperial or Republic Defector hiding from authorities and looking book safe passage on your ship? Maybe even a Sith that was defeated by one of their rivals, or failed their trials, barely escaping and now needs your help to get revenge? Maybe even a Jedi that has fallen during their trials or has succumbed to the lure of the Dark Side and now seeks power to come back and exact revenge on those that have exiled them?

Of course there will be set back stories for your companion, which would be set out by the developers, but it will bring life to the game and to your character's overall story.

1. Unlocking the Customizable Companion;

- Purchase from Cartel Market or through a vendor using in game credits.

- A mission indicator takes you to a Companion Customization Terminal, on Fleet.

- Once you customize the companion a new mission indicator tells you which planet your companion will meet you on.

- Once you complete the mission series for that companion it is now unlocked account wide and you do not need to repeat the unlock missions (same as HK-47).

2. Companion Unlock

- Initial: One slot per character (unlocked account wide after completing introduction mission series).

- Additional Companion Slots (max of 3 per character): Purchased through Cartel Market (same as a character slot unlock).

- Account Wide Slot Unlocks available for purchase, max of 3 per character.

- New characters will have to pay a fee for unlocking if not already unlocked for account.

- Only one customizable companion active at a time (when one is summoned, the others are greyed out and can not be sent on companion missions. If none are summoned, only one may be sent on a companion mission and will grey out the other two until returning from the mission).

3. A companion customization terminal

- Used to initially to generate your companion, and grants you a mission to discover your companion on their starting planet.

- Used again to make appearance modifications only; i.e. the same as a player character (You can not change class, gender, or name, as these will affect your companion missions.

4. You customize the companion;

- Species (multiple to choose)

- Name (pre-selected for class, gender, and maybe species).

- Class (minor restrictions such as: droids can't be force users, set origin story and starting planet, etc.)

- Weapon (restricted by class and advanced class)

- Armor (as per current game settings)

- Abilities (restricted by class selected at creation)

5. Companion Missions

- Class determines starting planet of companion, and how you meet them.

- Future missions can have your companion depart for advanced training depending on their class, when they return (depending on affection level) you can use the companion customization terminal to select an advanced class.

- Missions for this companion only: sends your companion on a mission where they might bring back a piece of gear that you can use use to upgrade your character.

6. Affection

- At some point you can select an advanced class for your companion or give them promotions in rank.

- Relationships are determined by interaction and treatment of companion.

7. Class Trainer.

- You can use your companion as a class trainer as you advance in level.

I understand that this is just a dream, a wish, but I have thought long about how this customizable companion should fit into the game and I'm not sure of how much programming it would take to figure this all out, however....this is something we need to breathe life back into the game and would be an entire expansion all of it's own. Maybe for Christmas 2016?

This is an awesome Idea, For starters some of the Vanilla companions look so funny and i reckon to be able to change hair/complexion/makeup would at least be a start. Also most of the companions are useless (DPS Companions) And i reckon they all need a boost in abilities and what not but that's just my opinion. Edited by Sxerius