The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

STAR WARS - Dark Disciple: Book Review

Beniboybling

So I've started a series of book reviews I plan on setting up over the summer - beginning with Dark Disciple. This one certainly isn't the best, but hopefully you find it useful, more to come in the future hope. :D

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/beniboybling/blog/star-wars-dark-disciple-book-review/107106/

Comments, thoughts, reading suggestions etc. are encouraged!

If you can’t deal with bad prose, avoid it, however if all you’re really interested in is a good story, or are a fan of Ventress, I would definitely suggest reading it.

What if I'm a fan of Vos?...Anyway good write up, I guess, since I haven't managed to tor...buy it yet :p

Ok so I have not read the book yet, but I did have 1 gripe that I havent liked about a lot of Clone War Material.

Any time Obi-wan or Anakin or BOTH run into Dooku at anytime before Episode III just takes me out of it so hard. It makes no sense to have Obi-wan say to Anakin "this time we will do it together" and Anakin respond "I was going to say that" when we see them work together on several opponents, and even see them work together against Dooku. The idea that this is some how different gets thrown out the Window when Authors keep using that situation with them together. When Episode III came out it made sense at the time because the last time you saw them fight Dooku, Anakin rushed him and they got seperated so them fighting together was a difference, but when they go back to the clone wars era and add in moments like Anakin and Obi-wan fighting together against Dooku, the line starts not to make sense from an in universe perspective. The same with Palpatine's "you are no match for him he is a sith lord." if Obi-wan already beat him once.... This is why some times I have to just ignore Clone Wars stuff for my own Sanity cus some times it just does not make much sense from an in universe perspective with the movies.

Edit: Same thing happens every now and again with the "last of the Jedi will you be" line to Luke... and then there is like 100 jedi running around that Yoda apparently didnt know about.... it can get ridiculous at times. A couple is fine.... but some times I feel its just over board.

Edited by tunewalker

What if I'm a fan of Vos?
Well I'm not familiar with Legends Vos so I can't comment, personally I like his Canon version.

Maybe ask for Aurbere's opinion. :p

...Anyway good write up, I guess, since I haven't managed to tor...buy it yet :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNaPAmceFOo
My review:

This book sucks!

--Aurbere

I like it, concise, to the point. Edited by Beniboybling

What if I'm a fan of Vos?...Anyway good write up, I guess, since I haven't managed to tor...buy it yet :p

if you're a fan of Vos you should read this book. it effectivly takes his character arc from the clone warera SW:Republic comics, and canonizes it.

It does do a good job of portraying his darker side.

Honestly, after reading this book, and stepping back and thinking about it I've developed a theory. the two EU characters that made it into SW canon where Quinlan Vos and Aylia Secura. Kate Lucas just so happens to be the one who pens basicly a canonization of his clone wars character arc. gonna take a wild guess that she was a fan of the SW republic Comics. and is the reason for the canonization of those two chars

Honestly, after reading this book, and stepping back and thinking about it I've developed a theory. the two EU characters that made it into SW canon where Quinlan Vos and Aylia Secura. Kate Lucas just so happens to be the one who pens basicly a canonization of his clone wars character arc. gonna take a wild guess that she was a fan of the SW republic Comics. and is the reason for the canonization of those two chars

Aayla's had multiple canon appearances. AotC, RotS, The Clone Wars and even the Son of Dathomir comic...

Vos was also canonised in the Clone Wars TV show and was side referenced in other novels.

Yeah I don't think that's what he meant, I think he's saying that Katie Lucas was responsible for them entering canon in the first place, because she's a fan, given that she was the one who wrote the Dark Disciple screen plays.

Eh, I don't know, she did work on Jedi Crash as well I suppose...

Edited by Beniboybling

Yeah I don't think that's what he meant, I think he's saying that Katie Lucas was responsible for them entering canon in the first place, because she's a fan, given that she was the one who wrote the Dark Disciple screen plays.

Eh, I don't know, she did work on Jedi Crash as well I suppose...

Still confused how our answer doesn't disprove that though, I must be missing something. Those characters were canon before the comics he referenced were even released.

no he wasn't. yeah he was based on a background character we saw on Tatooine. but it wasn't until dark horse used him that we got Vos

Not really, a first appearance is a first appearance. Besides, in the context of this argument you're saying she made them canon because she was a fan of the comic. Vos already was canon, even if we didn't have his backstory until after his appearance in the Phantom Menace... Again not mentioning that he was already in TCW....

Not really, a first appearance is a first appearance. Besides, in the context of this argument you're saying she made them canon because she was a fan of the comic. Vos already was canon, even if we didn't have his backstory until after his appearance in the Phantom Menace... Again not mentioning that he was already in TCW....

.... TCW came out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay after those comics.