The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An in-depth look at combat: Aayla Secura

cs_zoltan

"Let's not abandon hope, An'ya. We still live, and so does Aayla.

And she has proven to be an excellent Jedi." ~ Tholme

Height: 1.78 meters

Weight: 55 kilograms

Physicality: Aayla Secura was an athletic young Twi'lek female making her a fast and agile fighter. Her curious choice of Djem So also suggest some measure of physical strength.

==================================================

Melee Abilities

Aayla Secura was a Jedi Guardian during the golden age of the Jedi. She was one of the 212 Jedi sent to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi on Geonosis where the ensuing battle sparked the Clone Wars. She was also one of the 20 Jedi to survive in the arena, despite only being a Knight and a practitioner of Ataru, which is highly ineffective against blaster fire, testament of her skills. She attained the rank of Master later during the Clone Wars. She mastered Ataru and had a high level of skill with Djem So. Which made her a versatile, but offensive minded duelist.

Ataru: As Aayla's main lightsaber style, Ataru provided her with an extremly effective and deadly offensive style. Ataru is built around speed and acrobatics, which a young athletic female Twi'lek certainly didn't lack. A master of Ataru is a force to be reckoned with. As evident by her survival of the First Battle of Geonosis she managed to overcome one of Ataru's main weakness of blaster fire, either by her skill with the blade or by her speed and agility. Ataru on the other hand wasn't without its weaknesses. It wasn't a good choice for multiple opponents, in confined spaces, against power duelists, it was heavily taxing phisically, and it lacked proficient defense other than dodging. It's unknown if Aayla managed to overcome these weaknesses, but she was smart enough to overcome the need to do so. Being young and highly athletic she was less likely to be exhausted than Yoda or Qui-Gon Jinn, other notable masters of Ataru. And her secondary form gave her options when Ataru was a shot in the foot.

Djem So: Due to her relatively young age when she died (she was only a Master for less than three years) Aayla didn't attain absolute mastery over the form, none the less she was very skilled with it, and it provided her with an exceptional supplementary style to Ataru. Djem So in contrast to Ataru had sufficient blade to blade defense (not saying an Ataru master can't, but it's not Ataru's strength), giving her alternative defenses when acrobatics weren't enough. Utilizing a combination of blocks and parries, a Djem So user maintained a proper foundation of defense against both ranged and melee attacks, after defending against an opponent's strike, a Djem So stylist followed with an attack of their own, bringing the force of the opponent's own blow against them and seeking to dominate the duel. Due to it's mobility issues Djem So was far less taxing than Ataru, it also doesn't share any other weakness with Ataru. Confined space? Check, Djem So lacks mobility anyway. Multiple Opponents? Check, Djem So has good defense, not Soresu or Shien level, but good none the less. Power duelists? Check, Djem So is a power dueling style after all.

Jar'Kai: On a few occasions Aayla wielded a second lightsaber. She most likely used it in combination with Ataru, since dual wielding lacked the powerful strikes required by Djem So.

With these two lightsaber forms under her belt Aayla had answer for anything thrown at her. She had speed, agility, strength, defense, counter-attack. Whichever style she chose to employ in a given situation she was highly offensive, since both Ataru and Djem So were an aggresive style.

Force Abilities

As a primary lightsaber duelist her usage of the Force reflected it. Powers that made her a better duelists took precedence over other applications of the Force.

Force Valor: Every Jedi uses the Force to augment their physical capabilities, but for Aayla it was even more important. Both of her lightsaber styles required great deal of augmentation. Ataru needs a good deal of spead and acrobatics, while Djem So needs overwhelming strength. Testament to that, she was able to dodge close proximity projectiles, move as a blur, overpower Morgukai warriors in hand to hand combat. Her Endurance was also very impressive. She survived or shrugged of things like ship crash, beating from Aurra Sing and General Grievous, getting TKd by Quinlan Vos, and missile expolisions.

Telekinesis: While Aayla hasn't displayed awe inspiring feats she was still a proficient user of Telekinesis. She was able to hurl her own master Quinlan Voss, the former Jedi turned bounty hunter / jedi killer Aurra Sing, and she could KO Morgukai warriors with a single push. She also showed finesse by using TK to throw dirt in Aurra's face distracting her, and she could use Lightsaber Throw.

Force Concealment: Aayla was also a practicioner of this technique. She displayed it by walking past a pack of predators while she was literally in their faces. Later she manages to conceal herself from Sora Bulq.

Force Sense: Aayla was able to sense allies, enemies, intetnions, and danger to allies from great distances.

Strengths

Aayla is not one of the best lightsaber duelist in her time, nor is she one of the most powerful Force users. But she is still a skilled, battle tested fighter. Her pairing of Ataru and Djem So gives her more than a highly offensive skill set. It gives her variety both offensively and defensively. By defensive I mean that Djem So and Ataru doesn't share any weakness. In reality the only thing they share is their aggresiveness. Ataru builds on speed and acrobatics, Djem So builds on strength. So Aayla can pick and choose her style depending on her opponent(s) and the situation at hand.

Weaknesses

Aayla doesn't have any notable weakness. She is skilled with the blade and the force, but there are better with both in her time. Maybe the only thing I can point out that she didn't master, nor use any of the most defensive forms, Soresu and Shien. She either have to rely on Ataru acrobatics or Djem So defenses to survive, which she didn't master fully. More importantly her biggest weakness, well I wouldn't really call it a weakness more like bad luck, is that she doesn't have any trump cards. She is skilled with the blade, but not that skilled. She is strong with the Force, but not that strong. Living during the Clone Wars she can easily get over her head.

Counter-Strengths

In case Aayla finds herself out classed she still have some tricks up her sleeve, albeit not that many. Her cunning coupled by her evident use of Dun Möch can make her opponent commit mistakes that she can exploit. She used this tactic against Aurra Sing, taunting her and waiting until she exhausted herself and then Aayla handily defeated her. Ultimately a cleaver use of her concealment might afford her to escape when all else fail.

Closing thoughts

Aayla was a skilled Jedi Master in the last days of the Republic. Sadly she died way before her prime, but still proved herself a capable warrior surviving the First Battle of Geonosis and the Clone Wars up until Order 66. She was unfortunately overshadowed by the legends of her era, Yoda, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Count Dooku etc. Had she lived in another era and reached her prime she might've been legendary like them.

Edited by cs_zoltan

Added to the index.

Thanks, for the 3rd time :D

Anyway, while I was going through some of the older in-debth threads I found this:

A long time ago, Sel and I discussed an analysis series on the Prequel Jedi Masters. If you want to work on that, Sel, I would be up for it. However, if you can't or don't want to, then I am willing to do it on my own. Regardless, this thread serves as the launching point for that series.

First on my hit-list: Plo Koon. Obviously. :p

You guys should put it back on your road map when you aren't so busy. 4 of them are already done after all ^^

I'll condense my Shaak Ti respect thread into one as soon as I get the time! I think we both turned that into making Respect threads, but I like the condensed style of this...

I hadn't forgotten that, I just wasn't sure if people would want the shorter and more brief style. If there's demand, I'm happy to supply :o

Excellent thread though!

I'll condense my Shaak Ti respect thread into one as soon as I get the time! I think we both turned that into making Respect threads, but I like the condensed style of this...

I hadn't forgotten that, I just wasn't sure if people would want the shorter and more brief style. If there's demand, I'm happy to supply :o

Excellent thread though!

I think both these in-debth threads and the respect threads have their uses. Respect threads are mainly a source of feats and accolades for me, while these are analysises that summerize people's strengths and weaknesses, how their skills complement each other, how their mentality and skills influence their fighting style....You get my point :p

I'd definitely be interested in more threads. I even used some in-debth threads in my match with Sil. I bet others would do that too.

Also thanks, I was bored today so wrapped it up in an few hours :p