The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SWTOR Duelling Tournament - Heats/Round 1B: ShadowMudkip vs StarSquirrel

Beniboybling

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet you could do a better job at entertaining me than Zoltan could....almost.

Lets try this since I am at a lull between things atm.

You and your crew have happened upon a Harrower class that was thought to have been lost nearly two decades ago. It appears to have suffered no damage and is not moving, with no life signs nor power signitures on your scanners.

Do you:

A: Board the Ship with your Crew

B: Board the ship alone

C: Use it for target practice

D: Have your companions explore it while you watch a movie

(Specify class and companions)

Inquisitor

Tharan Cedrax

Risha

Doc

Kaliyo

SCORPIO

Option A

lolololololol best team ever.:rak_01:

Take it to the proper thread. Sheesh, people derailing threads... What is the world coming to these days, eh? Am I right? :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm drunbk btw, so be gentle.

*Waves hand*

Due to your drunken state, you will now forfeit match 1A... Because one of your drinking buddy's dared you to. :D

Come, join us in the mini game. It is amusing and easy to pickup. :cool:

Alright everyone the wait is over, below is a breakdown of my thoughts on the arguments made and ultimate verdict.

Lightsaber Combat

In this aspect I believe both teams to be equally matched.

Star made excellent points for why Jaina Solo could defeat any one opponent and hold her own against multiple, and made a good case for why Corran would be an effective fighter, working together as a cohesive unit.

However Mudkip demonstrated each member of his team to be exceptional combatants themselves, and that collectively, and empowered by battle meditation, they would have the necessary strength to match Jaina’s abilities. Mudkip also made a good case for why Bastila’s ability should be discounted.

Force Abilities

I give an overall advantage here to StarSquirrel.

Star made an excellent case for the use of Corran’s mass illusions to distract and disrupt the team, and also put forward Horn’s tutaminis powers. That said I was not convinced of its effectiveness in this situation, being able to absorb the power of a warehouse of explosives is all well and good, but of no use without an explosion.

Star also brought up Jaina’s shatterpoint ability, and the means by which it could be used to seek out and exploit the weaknesses in the opposing team. Finally though Star made a good case for Battle Meld, it was unfortunately proven a non-factor, whereas Mudkip did make an excellent case for the effectiveness of battle meditation. That said he failed to offer a real counter for anything else.

Teamwork & Tactics

In this aspect, Mudkip came out on top.

Star did put forward good points for why past experience and trust between members of her team would foster cohesion, and that coupled with their wealth of practical battlefield experience, as well as Fett’s experience with strike teams, would make an excellent team. But Durge proved to be Star’s Achilles heel.

Mudkip put forward a very good case for why Corran and Jaina’s lack of prior knowledge on Durge would mean they would not know what to expect from him and respond accordingly. In that way they would be caught off guard when Durge turns on Boba, Mudkip also coupled this with the negative effects battle meditation would have on Star’s team, further driving Durge into an uncontrollable fury.

Furthermore Mudkip demonstrated that his team too how excellent cohesion, but without flaw, and that his team members have a wealth of battlefield experience and well as prior experience with Durge.

Handling the Environment

Both sides made good points on this front, so I didn’t give an advantage.

Both sides raised the argument that the terrain could be used for the purposes of ambush or escape, using Force concealing powers to facilitate this. Star also drew attention to how Durge could use the environment to close the gap between his Force wielding opponents. Mudkip also raising the point that Plo Koon could use Alter Environment to manipulate the terrain further in his team’s favour.

Miscellaneous

Essentially in this case, the effectiveness of Boba and Durge.

Star made some excellent points for why Boba and Durge will prove effective backup, with Durge’s aggressive assault putting the opposing team on the back foot and allowing Jaina and Corran to hold them there. With Boba being experienced in handling Jedi, as well as killing them, both using the terrain to maximise the effectiveness of their abilities against Mudkip’s team.

However I feel Mudkip effectively countered this by demonstrating how Boba and Durge will turning on each other, the ensuing havoc knocking them out of play.

Conclusion & Verdict

Altogether both teams were debated well, and are largely equally matched in most respects. However, the loss of Battle Meld combined with Mudkip’s point concerning Boba and Durge were hard hitting, and served only to amplify the strengths of Mudkip’s team as a powerful and cohesive unit.

It is for that reason that I declare Team ShadowMudkip the winner, who moves on Quarter-Finals. Noting Star that you can still make it back into the tournament by winning the Runner’s Up Bracket.

Thoughts & Advice

While both teams debated well I think there is a lot that can be learned. Mainly I’d suggest focusing less on demonstrating what abilities you teams have, and more on how those abilities can be applied to the debate, and even more importantly how they stack up in comparison to the other team.

For Star, I think you could have made a lot better use of Jaina’s special abilities. For example her Force concealment (the kind that even Caedus couldn’t penetrate) combined with her Shatterpoint and Corran’s Force illusions? That could have proven, especially in this environment, a devastating combination, the kind that could have easily one-shotted Bastila and then some, so I’d suggest on developing a strategy revolving around that, as it could potentially be applied to any debate.

Finally I’d suggest eliminating that Achilles’ heel by dropping Durge. Losers will be allowed to swap out one combatant before the Runner’s Up bracket, so I’d suggest choosing someone more agreeable, like Jango.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: THIS DEBATE IS CLOSED

Victor: Team ShadowMudkip

Team ShadowMudkip will proceed to the Quarter-Finals, Team StarSquirrel to the Runner's Up Bracket.

Well done to all and good luck for the future rounds!

Edited by Beniboybling