The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bulwark (Directive 7) severly bugged

My group just spent over and hour and about 15 attempts on bulwark and we finally just gave up. I read guides about him and watched vidoes. we interrupted smash, stopped his green shield, killed the droids, and stood near him during bulwark blast to avoid the lasers.

Randomly through out the fight we would get hit for about 4600 damage. We first thought that this was caused by hitting him when he was doing bulwark blast but even when we did that it would just randomly hit us. So we assumed it must just be random damage that he deals. Then people would just drop dead because they would get hit like this twice at the same time thus taking about 9k damage all at once.

This was on normal mode with a lv 50 healer and with the damage done to the tank plus all this random spike damage he could not keep up. Either this fight is way over tuned on normal mode or the double damage thing has to be a bug.

Can someone either explain what we are doing wrong or at least report similar problems?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult fight, both on normal and heroic. The way we position the group is the tank facing to one panel, the other 3 behind the boss by the other panel. There's intensive healing on normal, and extreme healing on heroic, but both are doable if you know what you're doing. We kept hitting a hard enrage on heroic though so never downed it :(

We attempted the same as well tonight on Heroic, and were coming up about 15,000 shy every time hitting his enrage timer.

What are melee dps doing for this fight? Are they staying in and eating the missiles, or running under the panels? We had one melee that was running in and out, else he would take too much damage, and we think that is where we were losing our DPS.

This boss is not bugged. I will not explain all of the strategy, cause some people may want to find it.

Just one thing, the boss has different attacks, one you have to avoid cause you a lot of damage only near him (staying 5-10 meter next is enough). The other attack has to be interrup fast.

After having understood the strategy, one healer is enough.

Hoping this message will help you,

Ackebar.

Yep, my group struggled with this, and wiped around 6-7 times before we figured out enough tactics to win.

Straight off, the amount of damage being put out was way to much for me to heal, even as full healer spec, so we reasoned that there must be ways to avoid some of his attacks. Through trial and error, we learned how to avoid some damage, and while it's still intense at times, the healing was perfectly manageable.

I do agree it was a bit of a shock, as the mobs up to that point had been fairly trivial, and we weren't expecting such a tricky and unforgiving fight initially.

Hint: The key is in positioning, and how you handle the shield phase.

This is a difficult fight, both on normal and heroic. The way we position the group is the tank facing to one panel, the other 3 behind the boss by the other panel. There's intensive healing on normal, and extreme healing on heroic, but both are doable if you know what you're doing. We kept hitting a hard enrage on heroic though so never downed it :(

Just did this guy on normal. Wiped a few times before reading this, then we one shot it by splitting up as mentioned. Be sure to interrupt the smash ability, click the plates when they light up and kill the repair droids and you'll get it!

Its not bugged, its doable.

On Hardmode the enrage timer is really short. Adding like 5 seconds to it might be good (while not nerfing it entirelly).

Nuke robots fast, avoid any shields and max dps. Its a dps race till the enrage. I managed to tank him in enraged for a bit with deflection+relics etc. So tanks should probably save one of those cooldown's for those final 10% :p

It is not bugged , we killed him yesterday the first time (heroic) Stay near him (all Members) so he dont do alot of Dmg to the Casters and destroy the Shield Generators / Adds. Really Easy fight. He will get realy fast to his Enrage Phase but if he does that just run out of sight and Zerg him a little with 1 Member everytime out of sight.

And we were not Full Epic Geared People.

We attempted the same as well tonight on Heroic, and were coming up about 15,000 shy every time hitting his enrage timer.

What are melee dps doing for this fight? Are they staying in and eating the missiles, or running under the panels? We had one melee that was running in and out, else he would take too much damage, and we think that is where we were losing our DPS.

The Healer just needs to Overheal him, im an Assassin and we killed him with all members in Mellee Range and Full Dps.

It is not bugged , we killed him yesterday the first time (heroic) Stay near him (all

Members) so he dont do alot of Dmg to the Casters and destroy the Shield Generators / Adds. Really Easy fight. He will get realy fast to his Enrage Phase but if he does that just run out of sight and Zerg him a little with 1 Member everytime out of sight.

And we were not Full Epic Geared People.

Translation: we wiped and cheesed the boss's inability to leash or reset

Please increase rage timer. Otherwise its a fun fight.

What we ended up today on heroic, normal mode we just faceroll killed all bots without any real tactic:

The juggernaught tank stand in front of him in his initial position. Me the sorcerer healer standing on the left panel, my sorcerer dps friend on the right one. Finally the operative dps just behind him.

We ofc deactivated the buttons as soon as they spawned, but we chose to just ignore the droids comming to repair. Atleast on heroic mode they channel before they repair the button, which makes it easy to deactivate it as soon as it's back functioning again.

After it's repaired the droids will hit the group for about 10 seconds (most often me the healer) before despawning and a new group of droids going up to repair. The droids hit me for like 500 per hit which was easy to manage.

The only thing that was a pain was that our melee operative took alot of damage due to being in melee range, but making sure to always have the bubble active on him as soon as it could be recast and a quick heal every now and then kept him up.

Doing this we had Bulwark dead before the enrage timer hit. We don't really have any fancy gear. Pretty much all blue/orange/green from commendations and flashpoints we got while leveling. No pvp epics either.

Edited by Jigglypants

We cleared it on Heroic first time in. It's just a gear check really. It's prob the most difficult heroic that we've seen out of the 6. It's doable though. Our group loved it.

yeah... i just wiped on this on normal with a group of fresh 50's for over an hour, very frustrating, ill just run everything else until i overgear it, best solution right?

The shields on the sides DO seem to deflect damage to players. Placing the tank under one hexagonal shield and the rest of the group underneath the other seems to mitigate a ton of damage.

On normal mode, you can leave the green shields up for as long as you want and his health won't regen. In other words, you can let the astromechs run up to heal the buttons, essentially forcing him to allow you guys to rest. When your healer is full energy, hit the buttons and blow him up again.

You can choose to blow up the astromechs whenever.

Don't attack him when the green shield is up.

Continue dodging red circles.

Don't stand in the middle or cross the middle.

Don't stand more than 5 meters away.

Rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps.

Edited by allancue

Oops, realized i had a repeat in here, also we just got to bulwurk and in seconds i'm being killed by some random 13k instant dmg. (50 SA - dps) This MUST be a bug since i'm litterally instantly dying in the beginning of a fight without any real reason behind it. Edited by OsirisBorn

If this fight isn't bugged it's severely overtuned.

I tried to run the regular version tonight with a group of all 50s and we couldn't do it. None of us had done it before but we figured out the mechanics after 2 wipes; get close to the boss, interrupt the smash that stuns the tank (me), don't get hit by missiles and disable the green shields.

I had him positioned the way he faces initially (just ran up to him and kept him that way) with the DPS on the sides to hit the switches when the reactive damage shield went up. We kept dying from seemingly random damage that none of us could figure out the source of after 8 wipes (and I have a lot of end game MMO experience under my belt). Everything would be going fine and then everyone would just drop to half health out of nowhere. As far as we could tell it wasn't any of the mechanics we had come to understand.

Either the fight is bugged (or just bugging for some groups, as the case may be) or there is some mechanic that is not obvious enough because we thought we had it all covered and were still getting hit by something we couldn't identify.

Edit: Ok, I think I figured out the problem my group was having, and it would fall under the "mechanic not obvious enough" category from my above post. Apparently the "Bulwark Blast" ability hits anything in the center of the hallway.

More should be done to make this apparent as currently the only way to know is trial and error. A raid message would work (like the one you get on the previous boss indicating someone had been cloned), or some sort of targeting lazer going down the hallway before the damage hits, or even making it more obvious that's where the damage is hitting (say, explosions or something down the middle of the hall) to make it more obvious.

I would expect most tanks will do what I did and just tank him where he stands which makes it easy to think Bulwark Blast is just an ability he has you have to eat. The lack of any other indication makes it hard to tell that's what it does.

Edited by MaxDeeps