The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hyperspace and hatches

Diviciacus

So abusing Force Speed on my Inquisitor, I ran from the map console to the exit of the Fury and was sitting on the loading screen for Taris before my ship ever dropped out of hyperspace.

And it got me thinking, what WOULD happen if you opened an external hatch on a ship travelling through hyperspace? What would happen if you tried to step out?

For that matter, what do the big capital ships with permanently open docking bays do in hyperspace?

So abusing Force Speed on my Inquisitor, I ran from the map console to the exit of the Fury and was sitting on the loading screen for Taris before my ship ever dropped out of hyperspace.

And it got me thinking, what WOULD happen if you opened an external hatch on a ship travelling through hyperspace? What would happen if you tried to step out?

For that matter, what do the big capital ships with permanently open docking bays do in hyperspace?

I do believe relativistic shields or something like that is what your looking for. There is also an example in Clone wars and one in Rebels.

Essentially everything within the *bubble* is fine, but if it leaves that it rapidly decelerates and if it is not durable enough is annihilated. I could be mis-remembering of course.

I do believe relativistic shields or something like that is what your looking for. There is also an example in Clone wars and one in Rebels.

TV watching isn't usually my thing since I can't do it on my own terms, but knowing this information now I will certainly... acquire both shows.

Essentially everything within the *bubble* is fine, but if it leaves that it rapidly decelerates and if it is not durable enough is annihilated. I could be mis-remembering of course.

Considering the difference in velocities between hyperspace and the surrounding environs (on the order of a little over 1.05x10^12 times the speed of light, assuming a week to cross the SW galaxy and assuming it is the same approximate size as our galaxy), EVERYTHING dies if it decelerates unexpectedly like that :p

Within the game, one could say that even though you exited the ship and reached the loading screen of the planet while still in warp, the ship returned to realspace by the time you actually left the boarding ramp, making the loading screen a relativistic waiting room of sorts.

The loading screen keeps you from being in warp and in real space at the same time... which therefore keeps you from being annihilated by velocity differences. What does the time in the loading screen appear to be to our characters? They seem to take it in stride whenever it happens so perhaps they don't even notice the pause relative to their world-line.

I remember reading somewhere that the pod (assuming it was an escape pod) would be stuck in hyperspace since it doesn't have a hyperdrive, and as such can't enter/leave hyperspace. So apparently hyperspace is some other dimension, but it might be in a Legends book, so I don't really know.