New Marauder Specs/Equipment/Skills

moemoecake

I am level 58 Marauder but I am still finding it hard to figure out what my specs should be. It is more power, Critical Rating, or Surge Rating? As well as skills what should I do or what is the right sequence of attack. Some help me I am not sure what to equip anymore. Pretty much a run down of what a Marauder is and what is their main role? :(

EDIT: Thanks Angus for the reminder. My post is for PvE

Stat wise it very easy but first a little info.

Power and crit share the same 'stat slot' (secundairy I believe it is what people call it)

Alacrity, Surge and accuracy share the same 'stat slot' (tertiary or something like that).

Stats that share a 'stat slot' means that only 1 of those can exist on a modification, implant, earpiece or enhancement.

Now that we got that covered. Get as much power as you can and as little crit as you can. Don't focus on it 100% though, if you get a better piece than take it, whether it has crit or not.

For enhancements, earpiece and implants, focus on getting your accuracy to 100% melee accuracy (110% force accuracy).

You need either of the following:

Get 861 or more points in accuracy

Get 758 points in accuracy and get max affection on your melee tank companion (Lord Scourge or however you write the name of that bastard).

The melee tank companion thing is legacy wide btw, so it works with any melee tank companion. The effect does not stack so you only have to get 1 melee tank to max affection (think you have to complete the story as well).

After accuracy you can have a look at surge and alacrity. For starting players I advice to take surge over alacrity. You can get more alacrity through augments once you are getting used to the class.

Though I would not take more than 2 surge pieces.

Now the last subject, using your abilities. This depends on the dicipline you have picked (Watchman, Combat or Concentration).

For this part I am going to ask for a more experienced sentinel as well. I do not have enough experience yet to teach other people.

Edited by Whojoo

It really depends on if you pve or pvp. In pve you need alot of accuracy to reach 100% melee/110% force cap to be effective and not miss key attacks. While in pvp it isnt needed you only need around 95% melee/105% fprce... i usually go full surge but alacrity isnt a bad stat anymore really a few pieces won't do any harm however in pvp you have more pieces to play with than in pve since you gotta stack all dat accuracy. Edited by AngusFTW

Whojoo is headed you in the right direction, but he did neglect specific disciplines, which I'll pick up the slack.

Carnage is a burst/sustained pseudo-hybrid spec. It uses Massacre to proc Ataru Form attacks to proc Execute and Slaughter. You use Gore to boost your damage from Devestating Blast and Vicious Throw, and Battering Assault and Ravage are used to fill out the rest of your damage along with Dual Saber Throw. It's probably the easiest of the 3 specs to learn and play well, but you will not do too hot in raids. Not that any Melee DPS class aside from AP/Plasma Powertechs are considered Viable Melee DPS for Operations anyways.

Annihilation is your DoT or Sustained spec, It has 3 main DoT's, Rupture, Deadly Saber, and Force Rend. You get free healing from those DoT's and when you use Berserk you heal yourself and your raid for 6% HP on DoT ticks, pretty handy truth be told! Your main mechanic is the Annihilate and Force Rend stacks. Annihilate builds stacks that reduce the cooldown of the ability, you have a passive that allows it to build 2 stacks at a time, meaning it only requires 2 Annihilates to ramp up to full speed. You also have Force Rend stacks that build from Annihilate, and those reduce the cost of your next Force Rend, making it cost nothing when you use it at 2 stacks. Your fillers are Force Charge, Battering Assault, and Vicious Slash, along with Smash if you can get adds close enough to spread your DoT's.

Fury is your all out burst spec. It has 2 main burst abilities, Smash and Raging Burst. Smash is for AOE Burst, while Raging Burst is single target. You build your single stack of Shockwave which buffs Raging Burst or Smash by using one of 2 skills, Force Crush or Berserk. Force Crush is a VERY short duration DoT that deals mediocre damage, but does progressively slow targets, great for PvP against a class that has a hard time cleansing slows! You also have Force Scream and Furious Strike, both of which are great skills to use under your Cascading Power window, for 6 seconds after a Smash or Raging Burst, you gain Cascading Power, which boosts your damage by a decent amount, you will want to use big hitting skills like Furious Strike and Force Scream under a Cascading Power window to boost them even further. Ravage is also another good skill to fit in there too, as you have a total of 6s and Ravage channels in 3, Though if you know how to Ravage Clip, you can pull slightly higher DPS also.

I don't do rotation stuff on any of the Mara Specs because I only PvP on my Mara, so go to Dulfy or the forums for Rotation guides.