Monolith + annihilation marauder = wipe

We went to do Monolith 8m HM tonight. I usually tank, so had not been there with my marauder yet. The other marauder in the guild plays carnage, so this was the first time we had gone in there with an annihilation marauder. We had a couple of wipes we did not understand straight away. From what we gathered, my berserk heals killed the dps afflicted by Curse of the Monolith. After I was moved into another ops group it did not happen again.

This may have already been posted, as I have not read much on this forum lately. Either way, this struck me as odd. Berserk is such a vital part of the damage and is for most marauders something you pop without second thought. There's a way around the problem, but isolating one member in a sole group (in case a tank gets the curse) is stupid, tbh.

We may simply have been unlucky during the two tries the dps died and the heals were not the cause, but thought I'd mention it here in case marauder heals actually kill people afflicted by the curse.

it use to be the same way with the council on EV - it was best to separate maras/sents into their own groups as to not cause problems with others when using berserk/zen.

this problem is not unheard of, in fact I had always wondered but couldnt prove the harmful effects of the zen heals during Ciphas, Heirad, and Kel’Sara fight in TFB. The part when no healing is suppose to be dealt to one of the tanks. I just felt it was best to hold off on zen during that time, just in case.

it use to be the same way with the council on EV - it was best to separate maras/sents into their own groups as to not cause problems with others when using berserk/zen.

this problem is not unheard of, in fact I had always wondered but couldnt prove the harmful effects of the zen heals during Ciphas, Heirad, and Kel’Sara fight in TFB. The part when no healing is suppose to be dealt to one of the tanks. I just felt it was best to hold off on zen during that time, just in case.

Exactly; this is a mechanic that responsible Watchmen/Annihilators have been dealing with since the first operation; most notably TFB Dread Council Kel'Sara fight.

But let's be honest. I think you've hit on the correct root problem, but are identifying the incorrect symptom.

The Curse, which goes out every 60s and lasts 10s does multiple things:

1) immediate damage to cursed player (enough to toss a sideeye towards the magnitude);

2) reduces healing received on cursed player by -50%;

3) damages cursed player on healing received;

4) heals the boss;

5) damages vicinity other players.

I'm not sure of the magnitude of the returned damage from healing yet, but I suspect it's probably not enough on its own to kill a cursed player outright (as say the Kel'sara debuff was). Of course being mdps, it's most likely that the annihilator did not run away from boss/group, but being melee, stayed close to the boss while they were cursed, healing it and damaging everyone in the vicinity including likely the tank.

The key to Curse is that cursed players must: 1) run away from boss and group and 2) not get healed for the duration of debuff.

You can deal with the OP's main point in several ways. The Cursed player goes out in big red raid-wide text; responsible Watchmen/Annihilation won't use Zen/Berserk for the next 10 or so seconds. Likewise you're biggest worry to cursed player is heals not watching debuff but just the raidscreen health bars and goes to heal the cursed, again, likely killing him in the process.

The other time-honored tactic for dealing with such a healing debuff mechanic, is to move Watchman/Annihilation to his own raid group.

Any of them are viable; the off-heals from Zen do help; you can get upwards of 800 hps for the fight. (Helpful, but really, for HM Colossal, your main heals should be enough on their own.)

My $0.02...

http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1432615549_Colossal-Monolith-HM.jpg

What we do in my group, is we have the player with the curse run into a rift so that any healing the goes to them, whether it is annihilation heals, or sorc's roaming mend, gets reduced to basically nothing. The only thing you have to worry about is getting out of the rift right when right when the debuff expires so that you can get healed back up and not make the heals angry :)