Why all the Marauder hate?

MikeFL

I just finished my playthrough as a Jedi Guardian and now I'm trying out the Marauder class as Sith. I played Marauder about a year and a half ago up to level 35, but its been a long time so I decided to restart the story. However, the entire Korriban chat on my server right now is just going on about how terrible Marauders are, how they are much harder to play than Guardian/Jugg, and how they're just overall a poor choice.

I'm not necessarily looking to get into endgame PvP or PvE on this character (I have my Vanguard, Sniper and Sorc for that) I really just want to play the story 1-60 and then see from there. Before I get too far, honestly, how is Marauder? Would I be better off just going with a Vengeance Jugg?

If you are just doing the story and then SM Operations at 60, there is absolutely no reason to avoid Marauder if you enjoy the class. A lot of people don't like how the rotation(s) work since 3.0, but if you are just starting out, maybe you won't care.

For HM Operations, you need to be a very good player or you will be a drag on your group in some of the more difficult fights (Revan, Torque, Ruugar)...but that's true of all the 4m melee classes. But from your question, I doubt you are edging to push the toughest content in the game with your Mara, so you should be fine.

Edit: PvP, yeah Jugg is going to be better. For PvE, I don't think Jugg is better at all...Mara Predation is a clutch group buff, and you also bring the Bloodthirst.

Edited by KaiserTNT

If you are just doing the story and then SM Operations at 60, there is absolutely no reason to avoid Marauder if you enjoy the class. A lot of people don't like how the rotation(s) work since 3.0, but if you are just starting out, maybe you won't care.

For HM Operations, you need to be a very good player or you will be a drag on your group in some of the more difficult fights (Revan, Torque, Ruugar)...but that's true of all the 4m melee classes. But from your question, I doubt you are edging to push the toughest content in the game with your Mara, so you should be fine.

Edit: PvP, yeah Jugg is going to be better. For PvE, I don't think Jugg is better at all...Mara Predation is a clutch group buff, and you also bring the Bloodthirst.

Thanks for the reply. I remember my Marauder being fun to play, and remember carving my way through mobs on Alderaan with little downtime. I'm not sure if the gameplay changes have changed the leveling experience though. I still don't know what to do. One the one hand, I just finished leveling my Jedi Guardian, so I liked the idea of Marauder having a different style. On the other hand, the Jugg is the "safe option" because Immortal spec just doesn't die and Vengeance does good damage.

For leveling, Carnage mara is perfect. If you wanna play pvp, I don't recommend choosing the mara. Not because maras are impossible, but they are much harder to play and for someone who is new to the class, it won't be rewarding. Those who play mara for years have less problems with mobilty or survivability, everyone could do that, but you need a lot of patience.