The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question about everyone's frustrations with some SW character's race

Kayriel

So i read some posts on this forum and saw some vids on youtube as well and it seems that a lot of people are really angry with retcons that characters like Ventress or Maul have gone through but i don't understand why exactly.

Now before everyone jumps out of their pants , please let me elabore as to why i don't think that the retcons are as big of a deal , at least in my view :D

As an example , lets take Ventress. In the original Clone Wars cartoon , she was a Ratataki , but in the the CGI version she was retconed as a Dathomiri Nightsister and i fail to see the problem with this simply due to the following reason :

Humans are the most wide spread species in the SW universe and they are born on almost all the planets in the galaxy , but you rarely see them cataloged as anything else other than human , even though there may be huge cultural differences , between humans born on Alderraan and ones born on Tatooine , they are still human and some of them may choose to call themselves Alderanians , but they are still human.

As far as i know the only exception to this rule , are the tuskan raiders , who basically are human , but with a culture so radically different that apparently the rest of the galaxy forgot or doesn't want to admit that they are humans.

Which brings me to the point that i was trying to make and that being , that Ventress's species may be ratataky , but she can also be a Dathomirian Nightsister , simply due to the fact that Dathomir is the planet where she might have been born and the cult that she was born into are there , doesn't mean that her species is different , same with Maul for that matter , he is still Zabrak , but he wasn't born or Iridonia , so he is a Nightborther because of the culture he was brought up in

Dathomiri Nightsister or Nightbrother , doesn't change their species , just like it doesn't change the tuskan raiders being humans. The only differences being their cultures that they were raised in. Both Ventress and Maul are Dathomirians , in the sense that they were born on that planet , just like humans that were born on Corellia or Alderaan or whatever other planet , can choose to say that they are Correlians or Aldeanians or whatever , but they are still humans , just like Ventress is still a Ratataki Female and Maul being a Zabrak male.

Now my question is if i am missing something here or is all this rage and anger about these retcons just pointless ?

I honestly want to understand , because i am really confused as to why so many people are this angry with this particular detail. :rak_02:

Vantress cant be a Ratataki as she had hair as a child.

The Rattataki were a Near-Human species characterized by their chalk-white skin and bald heads

As for Maul people are just being daft as he is still a Zabrak

Taken from cannon wookie

Zabraks were a humanoid species from Iridonia.[2] The species had distinctive horns atop their heads.[6] Although most male Zabraks lived on Iridonia,[2] some lived on Dathomir under the rule of the Nightsisters. These Zabrak were known as the Nightbrothers and were bred with the Nightsisters

All that you said is true , but it seems that quite a few people have issues with this kind of stuff and i was curious as to why :)

Saw a few versus vids from Jensaraai1 with Ventress and Maul as the contestants and some other discutions as well and people seem to be super frustrated about some modifications to canon that i consider minor