The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

NPC Crew for Starships

Gereon

After walking around on my Starships i found them quite empty for their Size.

What about Crew NPCs manning the various Stations on your Ship?

Bridgecrew, some people walking around doing Maintenance Animations. You could choose between different Crewpacks (Republic, Imperial, Mercenary, Pirate, etc)

Everything purely cosmetic, of course ;)

What do you think?

Your ship isn't that big and couldn't support a crew very much larger than what you already have.

It would be neat to see your companions milling around doing things, but I'm pretty sure that their function as quest NPC's prevents that.

Sadly, the truth is our ships were rushed together and put out there without much thought to them being anything other then stages for companion stories, and some parts of the class story. This means they are very rigidly fixed in appearance as to prevent those cut scenes from breaking, and despite this, they are still buggy as heck.

Being BioWare, I had wished that as much thought about the design and space use was given to these ships as they had been to the Normandy from Mass Effect. Heck, the Imperial Fury is a great example, where the inside doesn't come close to matching the outside. You can also see how these were rushed by the fact they didn't even bother to tear out the original Holo Terminals you see in all the ships, that are usually much smaller and tucked away in a corner near the giant ones we use. The Defender has no crew quarters, and doesn't make effective use of its space, nor match it's outer ship. The Agent and Trooper ships have all worts of weird things going on with the floor that make no sense at all, ramps/stirs that go up then step right back down into the next room. Even the KOTOR Ebon Hawk seemed to have more thought put into how the spaces would be used then these ships have.

A while back I took the Fury floorplan and edited it in a way I thought made more sense. While only a basic outline, I think it shows how the space could be more efficiently used, like you would expect on a functioning Star Wars space ship.