The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BB-8: what does this guy actually do?

Beniboybling

Actually, there are incidents of light sabers turning themselves off in order to not hurt their wielder.

Case in point:

Lord Nyax.

For those who do not know of him, he essentially had light sabers installed along his arms and legs so that he could use them in some-what of a hand to hand technique or knife fighting style. During one of his fights with Luke Skywalker, the Jedi tried to impale him on his own light saber that protruded from his knee. Before it could impact however, the blade instantly shut off and re-activated as soon as Nyax was no longer in danger from his own blade.

Nor can this be attributed to character skill, since Lord Nyax essentially was a force brute with no memory past the time he woke up on Coruscant during the Vong occupation. He was animistic, feral, and obsessed with fundamental things. Nor did he have that type of skill in his previous life, before all the augmentations.

The point however is that the tech for that specific safety feature on light sabers is in fact in the universe. Merely because they are not used, does not mean they can not. I will say however that the saber staff is much harder to use, as Kas'im explained in the Bane trilogy.

I am not saying it is the most practical, merely that given the universe it is used in, it is possible to still be useful and not as much of a hindrance as it would be on Earth or with primitive metal weaponry.

As for the droid, I am not quite sure what they have planned for him. A bit small for a maintenance droid, and definitely not an intelligience droid... Then again, its the ones you least suspect!

Lord Nyax is one element of the EU I am personally thankful is no longer cannon

Lord Nyax is one element of the EU I am personally thankful is no longer cannon

Hey, did I ever say I LIKED Nyax? Heavens no. He is a force brute that was introduced merely to fight Luke so that the infiltration of Coruscant was not droll nor too easy. He is best left dead. That said, he does fit perfectly with my next Kaggath idea... :jawa_evil:

So by now I'm sure we're all familiar with the new BB-8 droid.

But what's got me thinking, is what does it actually do? It is far from your average astromech droid, I find it unlikely it could fit in a fighter, and I'm not seeing much room from practical tools in that spherical body.

Right now all it seems good for is rolling around looking cute... any ideas?

Actually, BB-8 functions as a starfighter astromech apparently. See this picture for evidence..... He is in the Resistance X-Wing Fighter model that was shown at the beginning of Celebration.