Leaderboards - How can the Devs be in Denial with Merc / Mando Poor Showing

ForceWelder

Maras/Sents were the "worst" for less than 3 months before they started to see buffs to bring them back into line. Snipers/slingers and mercs/mandos have been two of the bottom three performing specs for every season since they started. In seasons 1 and 3 they were dead last.

In none of the previous seasons did any of these classes really receive the buffs necessary to bring them up to a level where they were not thought of anything more than an annoyance, if not a down right hindrance, if you found one on your team.

The thing about sniper is they are pure dps for every spec. The reason you see Merc on the boards is because they are almost all healz not dps.

It honestly just comes down to the lack of an Anti-focus ability (something that penalizes an enemy player for attacking you, makes it a HUGE waste of time, or disallows enemies from even targeting you in the first place)... Sages get the bubble with a heal to full (which can be used while stunned), guardians get reflect and basically 2 H2F's with Enure and focus defense (which can also be used while stunned) along with reflect which basically penalizes enemies for attacking you, every stealther gets a stealth then H2F out of combat, hell even Mara's get a vanish and GBDF. The only classes that don't have a REAL anti-focus ability are slingers and mando's. They have somewhat decent Defensive CD's, but nothing in the way of what's described above, something that will deter the enemy team from attacking you for any REAL period of time.

If you compare snipers and Merc DCD snipers wins by a long shot. Thing about snipers is they are the cover class and need these. Mercs have speed boosts (which is a joke) self healz (which is also a joke)

Only thing Merc has that's useful is enet. Best God damn move in the game.

If you compare snipers and Merc DCD snipers wins by a long shot. Thing about snipers is they are the cover class and need these. Mercs have speed boosts (which is a joke) self healz (which is also a joke)

Only thing Merc has that's useful is enet. Best gosh darn move in the game.

Yes, but sadly you have to live long enough to use E-Net. And more often than not, my Merc / Mando are on the receiving end of two back to back stuns from at least two stealth players.

And if you are the focus of the opposing team, odds are your team is too busy trying to focus on somebody else on the the other team. So even if you do get E-Net off, there is nothing to follow up on the damage (either from you or somebody else) so the player you used it on has a few seconds to heal up and repair the damge.

But the reality of the Merc / Mando arena time is once that first stun hits, you aren't thinking offense. You doing everything you can just to survive the initial focus attack (which never works).

I am not a fan of the double stun in this game. Having full resolve does nothing for you because unless you have a focus break, you can't survive the double stun unless an outside healer or guard comes into play. So what good does resolve do you if you aren't going to receive additional CC anyway?

Personally, I have always felt that receiving a full stun should give you full resolve. Nobody should have to endure two back to back stuns unless you break the first one. My fix would be to make everyone's quick stuns last 5 seconds instead of 4. In that way the only way any class would take two back to back stuns is if they break the first one. Full resolve would kick in after the completion of the first stun. And maybe just maybe that would be enough to make Merc / Mando DPS viable in arenas.

Edited by ForceWelder

Yes, but sadly you have to live long enough to use E-Net. And more often than not, my Merc / Mando are on the receiving end of two back to back stuns from at least two stealth players.

And if you are the focus of the opposing team, odds are your team is too busy trying to focus on somebody else on the the other team. So even if you do get E-Net off, there is nothing to follow up on the damage (either from you or somebody else) so the player you used it on has a few seconds to heal up and repair the damge.

But the reality of the Merc / Mando arena time is once that first stun hits, you aren't thinking offense. You doing everything you can just to survive the initial focus attack (which never works).

I am not a fan of the double stun in this game. Having full resolve does nothing for you because unless you have a focus break, you can't survive the double stun unless an outside healer or guard comes into play. So what good does resolve do you if you aren't going to receive additional CC anyway?

Personally, I have always felt that receiving a full stun should give you full resolve. Nobody should have to endure two back to back stuns unless you break the first one. My fix would be to make everyone's quick stuns last 5 seconds instead of 4. In that way the only way any class would take two back to back stuns is if they break the first one. Full resolve would kick in after the completion of the first stun. And maybe just maybe that would be enough to make Merc / Mando DPS viable in arenas.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe resolve could build up over the duration of the hard stun? I agree with the fact that hard stuns are annoying as hell. Correct me if i'm wrong but is there not a combination of carbonize, low slash and any hard stun that gives you a total of three stuns before full resolved? My point being three full stuns can be chained rather than the two you pointed out.