The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which Powertech discipline would be the best for me?

ForiDani

I am interested in a play trough with power tech and I would like to maybe tank, damage, have fun (I don't like mercenary that much, because I feel like my character does things for me if that makes any sense.) and have an easy time in the main story, which discipline suits that the best? Tanking is not a requirement I guess, because only shield tech has that one.

I am interested in a play trough with power tech and I would like to maybe tank, damage, have fun (I don't like mercenary that much, because I feel like my character does things for me if that makes any sense.) and have an easy time in the main story, which discipline suits that the best? Tanking is not a requirement I guess, because only shield tech has that one.

Give them all a try. Personally I like AP pretty much. Sometimes (H2+) I switch to Shieldtech (still using DPS gear) which provides solid defense and (IMHO) an excellent burst damage.

Can't say much about Pyrotech nowadays. Stopped playing it, when the skill system changed.

While leveling, AP can get you through most story content in a snap. It's fun and powerful, especially if you like opening with a heavy blast or 2 and then moving close to shank them and possibly spit in their eye before they kick off.

That said, shield tech in dps gear is pretty solid, too. Especially considering you won't really have much in the way of tanking gear available to you for the first 30 levels or so unless you go out of your way to collect coms and cash to purchase droid parts for scavenging of their mods.

Also, think taking time to consider which companion you like running with or have access to is worthwhile. If you can keep up your gear, leveling with a dps companion while a tank can make some content trivial. The bounty hunter is also in the unique spot that, as a tank, you have access to your healing companion from the word go. My first power tech leveraged that for all it was worth. Mako sometimes had better gear than I did, but it worked.

I would seriously recommend staying clear of pyro, though. It's a hot mess right now (pun intended). Maybe in a patch or 2, but respecs aren't that expensive anymore if that happens.

Edited by althene