The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Licence to do as bioware likes.

yamashingen

Okay so other day me and few people in the Yavin 4 chat were talking, since extended universe has been dumped and is not considered as part of main Star Wars universe, where does that leave swtor? Essentially what I am trying to get to Dev's and Bioware is if they gave extended universe the literal and figurative middle finger, you do have free rein to do as you like for storyline and mythos form this point on.

So why not get really creative but nothing so farfetched or contradicting to story and characters you already established, You could literally take this story anywhere you wish form this point on. For example we knew deep down as Empire characters that we would lose in order for the movies to take place, so why not start there make so Empire and republic keep going at each other. At same time bring in and expand on things like the star cabal, mother machine and even Rakata or even dive into origin of the force itself. Hell you could bring the celestial back since rakata lost their infinite empire.

Also there is whole unfinished business with Darth Jadus, and Darth volran. And even gree and kwa. Not to mention we no little to nothing about other advance race like Rakata. Lets face it if SW was real lack of Rakata alone would leave huge power vacuum after their demise, a avoid if you will that needs to be filled.

Just saying you can do so much more. Heck over next few major expansion we can really use the legacy system like an actual legacy like descendent of our current characters, are new character in 1000yrs from now I.E so called movie Universe. Hell we can do more than just break the mold, we can do what red alert 1 did, with concept of "what if " I mean think of the possibilities.

SWTOR is being managed by the Lucasfilm Story Group i.e. the guys in charge of Canon.

So despite it not being part of official canon, I think Lucasfilm/Disney still which to keep it in line with continuity, they aren't interesting in making an alternate universe, and may which to develop on/canonise this material in the future.

Id like to remind everyone that this game is part of Legends CANON, Legends are STILL Canonn, they can just be contradicted by new movies and the like, that doesnt mean that they can go and Contradict the universe as a whole, to the point where its kind of a question how such a "Legend" began any way...

I assumed as much that lucasarts is still in control, but did not Disney disband the game studio lucasarts when they bought the star wars. And I get it its part of legend cannon too but because its part of it gives them bit of wiggle room to experiment and like i said in my post nothing radical just enough to make game interesting. lets face it lots can unfold in 1000yrs so why not use that.

They did indeed "execute order 66 on LucasArts and its 150 employees http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/04/04/the-mouse-cleans-house-disney-shuts-down-lucasarts/

The only thing I will say regarding the story group is that... well they aren't making any story. Some of the old people, most notably Leland Chee, are indeed there but there job is kinda a 2 step process. Step 1 to abolish the old Canon system and replace it with a single cohesive Canon system (translation no more " that counts if it does not contradict the movies and if something new gets published in C it overrides older C) step 2 is to then tell the new writers and directors etc "yes this consistent with our baseline go for it, but no that is not, get rid of it."

As for "wiggle room" I don't really know what you are talking about. The time period this game covers is one that is only covered by the game and connected books so there isn't a lot to contradict. The only time we would be talking about "wiggle room" in my mind is if they were to do REALLY crazy stuff like have Coruscant destroyed by a super laser, the Empire join the Republic, the force feats become revealed as expressions of a power possessed by a Supreme Being that are simply channeled by "chosen" servants etc.

These kinda things would piss people off. It would not be good.

Edited by Ghisallo

The whole deal with the old republic era is that it's so far before the movies that pretty much nothing that happens here has any bearing on the movies at all. No reason to change that. Thousands of years is a long time, there's no need to try to fill in all of it. They could do everything you mention in a few hundred years and still have plenty of time between then and the movies for things to return to "normal". You could even blow up planets (just say they found a new one and named it the same thing), destroy the republic (just say they made a comeback centuries later like the sith did before this game), and pretty much anything else.

The whole deal with the old republic era is that it's so far before the movies that pretty much nothing that happens here has any bearing on the movies at all. No reason to change that. Thousands of years is a long time, there's no need to try to fill in all of it. They could do everything you mention in a few hundred years and still have plenty of time between then and the movies for things to return to "normal". You could even blow up planets (just say they found a new one and named it the same thing), destroy the republic (just say they made a comeback centuries later like the sith did before this game), and pretty much anything else.

Here is the thing you are missing... Legends is still it's own "Canon" so to speak. Simply because it is not part of the "new" Canon does not change this. There are A LOT of fans who take this kinda thing seriously. As far as I know SWTOR will be the only parts of the "Legends" Universe that continues to grow...if the writers go as far as you suggest (such as blowing up a planet and just leaving it to the player to assume that in 3000 years they would miraculously discover a new planet in the same part of space that they could inhabit and rename) you would see a back lash of nerd rage rarely, if ever, seen on the interwebs. Disney still owns the rights to the IP and you do not put the good graces of an IP owner at risk like that.

Here is the thing you are missing... Legends is still it's own "Canon" so to speak. Simply because it is not part of the "new" Canon does not change this. There are A LOT of fans who take this kinda thing seriously. As far as I know SWTOR will be the only parts of the "Legends" Universe that continues to grow...if the writers go as far as you suggest (such as blowing up a planet and just leaving it to the player to assume that in 3000 years they would miraculously discover a new planet in the same part of space that they could inhabit and rename) you would see a back lash of nerd rage rarely, if ever, seen on the interwebs. Disney still owns the rights to the IP and you do not put the good graces of an IP owner at risk like that.

It's not even a matter of 'good graces', they've said that everything down to the designs of the armors are sent to LucasArts for approval before anything makes it into the game. If Disney doesn't like it - it doesn't go in, full stop.

Side note: I absolutely agree with the substance of your "Legends is still its own 'Canon'" statement, but I will say that in general you'll save yourself a lot of going 'round in circles if you just use the word 'continuity' in place of 'Canon' when you're describing it - some people here love to endlessly debate whether the EU (now Legends) was ever any sort of 'Canon' at all.

Edited by DarthDymond

My response was mostly meant for the OP. As in, even in the imaginary scenario that making up a whole new canon for SWTOR was on the table, there's simply no point in trying to fill in thousands of years with it.

or even dive into origin of the force itself. Hell you could bring the celestial back since rakata lost their infinite empire.

The origins of the force will be explored in Ep VII-IX, and the Celestials will play a big part in the Revenant trilogy

It's not even a matter of 'good graces', they've said that everything down to the designs of the armors are sent to LucasArts for approval before anything makes it into the game. If Disney doesn't like it - it doesn't go in, full stop.

Side note: I absolutely agree with the substance of your "Legends is still its own 'Canon'" statement, but I will say that in general you'll save yourself a lot of going 'round in circles if you just use the word 'continuity' in place of 'Canon' when you're describing it - some people here love to endlessly debate whether the EU (now Legends) was ever any sort of 'Canon' at all.

I would definitely agree on that last point...continuity is better because I am one of the people of whom you speak :cool: