Are sentinels ok for solo play?

Riotus

Just came back after a year or two off and im reading these forums seeing sent is in a pretty bad place. I play no group content or pvp because i play from work during downtime so my question is should i play my sentinel or my commando?

Speaking from limited personal experience --I've 50-plussed a Mara recently:

Explicitly solo'able content is still very much solo'able, at least as Carnage-spec (Sorry, don't know the Rep-side names), courtesy of its hilariously vicious single target burst (Gore + proc'ed auto-crit Force Scream FTW).

You will eventually need your healer-companion (End of Rep-Balmorra, IIRC; Doc is a helluvalot more tolerable that that sexually-repressed/confused priss we get), and you will learn to know your DCDs intimately, along with judicious use of Legacy Orbital Strike :)

Some [HEROIC 2/2+] are also solo'able --although you'll want to wait for DCDs to come off cooldown between some pulls, just in case. (Be careful which named daily bosses you pick for the Oricon H2.)

The harder H2s, and probably all on-level/on-gear H4s, you will want to bring a group --in which case, please don't be "that" Sentinel, because you will have repair-bills --lots of them :)

E:

Whoops, didn't see you're already 50 --the same general principles apply --for dailies, the Ilum daily H2, and the H4 in Black Hole should be solo'able if you're level 55 and well-geared, as there are lots of droids you can CC --the Rep-side version of that one is easier, if memory serves.

Edited by midianlord

For regular pvp, sentinels are still 'ok' , though at the bottom of the pecking order, commandos have similar problems though as ranged, they can stay back more and not get jumped/shot/zapped at by everyone.

For normal PVE (note not talking about operations or flashpoints) both classes are more than ok, though that's if you play Specs that have a lot of AOE abilities such as rightmost Sent tree (Sweep Spec,can't remember the name) or as DPS commando its easier. The Left and middle trees for sentinels are more solo target so you can't burn through mobs as fast solo. Its still doable but since you said you play in between work, you might have less time and its easier to use AOE specs.

Sentinels are perfectly viable for solo-play in PvE, can't personally speak to PvP. Concentration (Smash-/Sweep-spec) is awesome for soloing stuff. Leap -> Exhaust -> Sweep -> loot -> look for another pack. Combat is still quite good, too, and is a lot lighter on buttons and intricacy as compared to either other spec. I can't speak to Watchman as I have never liked the spec.