The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The Sith Empire

TranYukon

The Sith Empire in this game, from ship designs to titles and uniforms, bears an uncanny resemblance to the Galactic Empire in the movies....and I don't understand why. Any thoughts?

The creators of this game wanted to evoke a sense of the Movies in the game. If you look around there are countless easter eggs, nods, and plotlines that are obviously invoking elements of the movies.

Like how the Republic's troopers are all in clone-esque armor, or how on Hutta there is a Wookie playing a game with a protocol droid and the droid's arms are missing. Or that incident with Malgus at the end of that one Flashpoint.

You throw him into a reactor shaft on a space station to kill him.

And an ungodly number of other examples. If you look through old promotional material you might even find the exact clip where they outright state they're borrowing heavily from the movies.

The creators of this game wanted to evoke a sense of the Movies in the game. If you look around there are countless easter eggs, nods, and plotlines that are obviously invoking elements of the movies.

Like how the Republic's troopers are all in clone-esque armor, or how on Hutta there is a Wookie playing a game with a protocol droid and the droid's arms are missing. Or that incident with Malgus at the end of that one Flashpoint.

You throw him into a reactor shaft on a space station to kill him.

And an ungodly number of other examples. If you look through old promotional material you might even find the exact clip where they outright state they're borrowing heavily from the movies.

That makes sense. Because from an in-universe perspective, it makes no sense. The Empire in the films was formed, tragically, from the Republic, so it's really their uniforms and such which should look "Imperial." The prequels and the Clone Wars both did this. But I'm confident you are right.

That makes sense. Because from an in-universe perspective, it makes no sense. The Empire in the films was formed, tragically, from the Republic, so it's really their uniforms and such which should look "Imperial." The prequels and the Clone Wars both did this. But I'm confident you are right.

If you want an In-universe explanation, the best I can give is that the Republic and Empire actually based their designs off this incarnation of the Republic and Empire (which in turn based their stuff off earlier Republic designs).

Star Wars as a whole though tends to see very little change over the millennia, but for the sake of entertainment and feel I don't complain much as it would almost feel wrong to not have all this semi-recognizable stuff. :D

Remember something else...how much more advanced is the tech in the movies? Even the Death Star isn't to crazy OP when you...

look at what the Sith made of the World Prison Super weapon in the JK storyline

Usually changes in the appearance of ships, aircraft etc come along with substantive technological change. Example the hull of a modern destroyer doesn't look that much different than those from earlier decades (they aren't the same but the general concept is) BUT the superstructures have changed to accommodate the massive electronics and sensor suites and of course the gun has changed (hence appearance) number reduced (due to missiles) etc.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/uss_sullivans.jpg

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/burke/images/burke3.jpg

However we see a BIG change with the advent of the stealth and dedicated missile destroyer...

(This is not a mock up)

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/131029135514-01-navy-destroyer-zumwalt-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Technology and practical design drives appearance in the military, they don't have design divisions working out concept models for how the vehicle should look.

There really is a sense throughout the movies and books that they hit a peak millennia ago and that since then the changes have been incremental.

Edited by Ghisallo

StarSquirrel's real-world explanation is spot on - when other Star Wars projects have tried to give the Old Republic Era a distinct, 'older' look, the results have been... divisive amongst fans and creators at the least (in making KotOR II the producers called some of the 'ancient' looking designs "really stupid").

As far as in-universe explanations go, the one that I think works best for the similarities between the look of the Sith Empire and the Galactic Empire is that the militarization and then imperialization of the Republic was orchestrated and designed by Palpatine, who as a Sith Lord had something of a fetish for the Sith Empire and incorporated their aesthetic into his reforms.

Some designs are simply practical as well - for instance the wedge / dagger shape of Star Destroyers lets a ship pivot its broadside guns forward so that it can bring its full firepower to bear.

Even though the aesthetics haven't changed (or at least have cycled back around) between the Great Galactic War (SWTOR) and the Galactic Civil War (the movies) the actual power of the technology probably has - a Star Destroyer's normal turbolasers could probably shred a Republic ship from this era in a single hit, whereas the guns on these ships probably couldn't even put a dent in the shields of a Galactic Empire cruiser. There's just no visual difference since... well, a blaster bolt still looks like a blaster bolt. (That's my favorite explanation for the overall lack of personal shields in the movie era, since weapon advancements probably just outpaced shield technology to the point where effective personal shields are super-rare by then.)

Some of the designs came from the same manufacturers:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sienar_Fleet_Systems

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat_Drive_Yards

In the article, KDY in particular is said to have made ships for both sides during the Sith wars. SFS went on to come to a secret agreement with Palpatine during his ascent to Chancellor and then went on to serve the Empire as did KDY.

Companies go where the money is.