The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Adding new Guild Ships

AlphaSaberS

First off, I would like to say, the guild flagships are amazing. They function beyond my expectations and have inspired a thought. More to the point of this thread, I would like to suggest more options to the flagship vendor.

I would like to see cruiser and battleship size guild ships become available at a cheaper cost for smaller guilds. As a small guild Guild Master, I would like to compete for section control. My suggestion is ships with all the same functionality at around half the size and 2/5 the price. Also, Maybe the option to purchase the flagships with cartel coins?

Next, Anyone who wants to add to this post is free to comment. Please, no negative feedback I am not asking if you think this is a good idea. OR whether you think it will happen. Only respond on this thread if you yourself have some suggestion you would like to add to this idea or a relating inspiration.

To be honest i was expecting the guild ships to be much like the strongholds in functionality. When i found out the benefits that accompany having sector control. I though this could benefit the Dune Sea. Here is how. Mobile base structures. This might be asking too much, but being able to place a walker in the area, just outside of a PvP zone could bring a competeing front to and around PvP in large open areas.

Other planets, Illum, Hoth, Belsavis, with large maps and or PvP areas should release expansion areas for this purpose. This would enable competition to reach the planet in a solid excuse for clan disputes to unfold around the players.

I would suggest as a means to enlist only willing participants into these PvP areas outside a PvP zone, to have the functionality of the PvP flag activate around and in the area of the mobile base radial. Players that have a quest nearby and want to pass threw the battlefield should have the option of "do not disturb" or "just passing threw".

• 1 year later...
bump. this could still be a thing. not sure if nobody saw this or if it was not considered by those who did. smaller guild ships like 70m gunboats or 1-200m capital corvettes; 2-400m capital frigates; 4-600m capital cruisers; 6-1000m capital heavy cruisers; 1-2000m capital destroyers; 2-5000m capital battle cruisers; and >5000m dreadnaughts. ranging in price and all usable in conquest. also it may do the game good to add maps of the planets controlled from an orbital perspective. I want to be able to see which planets have openings and if I can compete with the ships that I am fighting with for conquest.

I really like the idea. A corvette could be a personal ship for maybe 20kk. It would be amazing if your guild has got a guild ship but that members are able to have their one litte ships to complete the fleet.

Personally, I would love it to see more individualism connected to ships. That means that you can choose what an element you want to place behind a door. It could be a room (like now) or floors upstairs, downstairs etc. I am hoping for more!

First off, I would like to say, the guild flagships are amazing. They function beyond my expectations and have inspired a thought. More to the point of this thread, I would like to suggest more options to the flagship vendor.

I would like to see cruiser and battleship size guild ships become available at a cheaper cost for smaller guilds. As a small guild Guild Master, I would like to compete for section control. My suggestion is ships with all the same functionality at around half the size and 2/5 the price. Also, Maybe the option to purchase the flagships with cartel coins?

But whose cartel coins, and what happens if that person gets kicked from the guild? (Leaving the guild voluntarily is a separate and easier-to-answer problem: the coins are left behind.) However you answer these questions, the potential for abuse of guild members is *EPIC*. ("Oh, you just paid coins for our ship. Thanks! /gkick". Equally: "Oh, you paid. We'll harass you subtly(1) until you quit the guild.")

(1) Never inviting the person to operations. Secretly organising stuff and then asking why the target isn't there. Never talking to the target in guild chat, but talking to each other to make it clear you're being rude to him. Those sort of things. Nothing that's *direct* and actionable by CS, but nevertheless making membership extremely unpleasant for the person. Would it happen a lot? No. But one instance of it is thirteen too many.

Also, I don't see the virtue in smaller guild ships. 50 million to buy one is a reasonable price. It gives the guild a *goal*, ffs, something to work for *together*. Every time someone suggests introducing them, it smells of someone who doesn't want to work for it. (Also: all the functionality and half the size should cost no less than three quarters of the base price.)

Next, Anyone who wants to add to this post is free to comment. Please, no negative feedback I am not asking if you think this is a good idea. OR whether you think it will happen. Only respond on this thread if you yourself have some suggestion you would like to add to this idea or a relating inspiration.

Tough. If you put a thread in a public forum, you can expect the public to respond to it, and that they will say what *they* want to say, not what *you* want to hear.

To be honest i was expecting the guild ships to be much like the strongholds in functionality. When i found out the benefits that accompany having sector control. I though this could benefit the Dune Sea. Here is how. Mobile base structures. This might be asking too much, but being able to place a walker in the area, just outside of a PvP zone could bring a competeing front to and around PvP in large open areas.

Other planets, Illum, Hoth, Belsavis, with large maps and or PvP areas should release expansion areas for this purpose. This would enable competition to reach the planet in a solid excuse for clan disputes to unfold around the players.

I would suggest as a means to enlist only willing participants into these PvP areas outside a PvP zone, to have the functionality of the PvP flag activate around and in the area of the mobile base radial. Players that have a quest nearby and want to pass threw the battlefield should have the option of "do not disturb" or "just passing threw".

Developing tools to enhance open-world PvP (The Dune Sea on Tatooine is OWPvP, not any sort of organised PvP) is likely to be, on the whole, unproductive, especially with 4.0 out and about. If this was a game whose design was anchored in OWPvP - for example, Allods Online in its earlier incarnations(1), but in a Star Wars setting; or sandboxy games like ArcheAge or BDO - then it would be reasonable to propose it.

(1) The biggest clue that Allods Online had OWPvP baked into its design is the "War Banner". This dropped in "shared" zones when you killed NPC foes, and if you "used" it from your inventory, then for one hour, you could attack enemy-faction players who had NOT flagged themselves for PvP. SWTOR doesn't have such an item (and the change from separate servers to separate "focus" means it isn't ever going to have one), so it isn't really an OWPvP game.

But whose cartel coins, and what happens if that person gets kicked from the guild? (Leaving the guild voluntarily is a separate and easier-to-answer problem: the coins are left behind.) However you answer these questions, the potential for abuse of guild members is *EPIC*. ("Oh, you just paid coins for our ship. Thanks! /gkick". Equally: "Oh, you paid. We'll harass you subtly(1) until you quit the guild.")

This is messed up to even consider what kind of ****** person does that? anyway the answer would be to make the guild ship captained to the person who bought it. It would never leave there possession but automatically be accessible to the guild members and Keys could be distributed based on how much value guild members add to the captains contribution. This could lead to GUILD FLEETS. Strength in numbers. and a huge part of the battles in star wars.

(1) Never inviting the person to operations. Secretly organising stuff and then asking why the target isn't there. Never talking to the target in guild chat, but talking to each other to make it clear you're being rude to him. Those sort of things. Nothing that's *direct* and actionable by CS, but nevertheless making membership extremely unpleasant for the person. Would it happen a lot? No. But one instance of it is thirteen too many.
This is some psychological problem now that it is your recurring theme and I would welcome you to get checked out for a mental lapse in reason. First off there are plenty of players in the game second choosing to help members who participate in ops only helps your chances at winning weekly conquest so to shun the asset is a sure way to kill a server.

(Also: all the functionality and half the size should cost no less than three quarters of the base price.)
Half the size half the price the fact that it is there as a bonus to the points you get for helping a fleet (relative to your faction) is not a technical RP element the functionality is that of a gun in space used for conquest. so the "GUN" is smaller (it will cost less) its functionality costs nothing.

Developing tools to enhance open-world PvP (The Dune Sea on Tatooine is OWPvP, not any sort of organised PvP) is likely to be, on the whole, unproductive, especially with 4.0 out and about. If this was a game whose design was anchored in OWPvP - for example, Allods Online in its earlier incarnations(1), but in a Star Wars setting; or sandboxy games like ArcheAge or BDO - then it would be reasonable to propose it.

(1) The biggest clue that Allods Online had OWPvP baked into its design is the "War Banner". This dropped in "shared" zones when you killed NPC foes, and if you "used" it from your inventory, then for one hour, you could attack enemy-faction players who had NOT flagged themselves for PvP. SWTOR doesn't have such an item (and the change from separate servers to separate "focus" means it isn't ever going to have one), so it isn't really an OWPvP game.

Here is an idea bioware has story that changes the setting of war. This setting is on a chosen planet for 1w-1m time depending on the participation of players. (a resistence model the more people that participate the harder the battle and the longer it is drawn out.) then the victor is revealed and the loser, then, is discovered with a plot to on another planet either where they are attacking or where there was already a strong presence of their forces. this is what I imagine when we talk about on world pvp. bonuses for resources on planets that you faction has won would be a good incentive to help one side or the other depending on who you craft with... players may even begin crafting split between factions if they want to keep it fresh.

This is messed up to even consider what kind of ****** person does that? anyway the answer would be to make the guild ship captained to the person who bought it. It would never leave there possession but automatically be accessible to the guild members and Keys could be distributed based on how much value guild members add to the captains contribution. This could lead to GUILD FLEETS. Strength in numbers. and a huge part of the battles in star wars.

Perhaps, but this is starting to become a suggestion to turn SWTOR into some sort of Star Fleet Battles type of game.

This is some psychological problem now that it is your recurring theme and I would welcome you to get checked out for a mental lapse in reason. First off there are plenty of players in the game second choosing to help members who participate in ops only helps your chances at winning weekly conquest so to shun the asset is a sure way to kill a server.

*I* wouldn't do that stuff. I'm realist enough to understand *how* it could be done.

Half the size half the price the fact that it is there as a bonus to the points you get for helping a fleet (relative to your faction) is not a technical RP element the functionality is that of a gun in space used for conquest. so the "GUN" is smaller (it will cost less) its functionality costs nothing.

But there *is* non-RP benefit to having a flagship. If I place my guild's flagship on a particular planet, my guild's Conquest activities linked to that planet get boosted. Unless you're proposing that those bonuses be reduced in size as well?

Here is an idea bioware has story that changes the setting of war. This setting is on a chosen planet for 1w-1m time depending on the participation of players. (a resistence model the more people that participate the harder the battle and the longer it is drawn out.) then the victor is revealed and the loser, then, is discovered with a plot to on another planet either where they are attacking or where there was already a strong presence of their forces. this is what I imagine when we talk about on world pvp. bonuses for resources on planets that you faction has won would be a good incentive to help one side or the other depending on who you craft with... players may even begin crafting split between factions if they want to keep it fresh.

Again, this is looking more like you want to play Star Fleet Battles but using your SWTOR client. It could be done, but I don't think it would be good for SWTOR, nor for the SFB aspect. (Case in point: neither space missions nor GSF have had the support they needed to flourish, because neither of them is a good match for the rest of the SWTOR gameplay.)

Perhaps, but this is starting to become a suggestion to turn SWTOR into some sort of Star Fleet Battles type of game.

most of what you posted is fine for this forum. but here is my beef; Star Wars IS at its core 100% about space battles. In saying this Star Wars the laser defense project is about advancing technology. This only suggests that both are related in one way and that is the science of advancing technology that makes the Science Fiction of star wars so interesting. Engineering is the foundation of the Star Wars Universe AND in all Legendary storytelling.

My point to all this is that with my proposed battle structure, by adding a few new GUI, the game could turn into a cultural benefit for all its players. and could become a strong structural resource for future EA SW titles.

most of what you posted is fine for this forum. but here is my beef; Star Wars IS at its core 100% about space battles. In saying this Star Wars the laser defense project is about advancing technology. This only suggests that both are related in one way and that is the science of advancing technology that makes the Science Fiction of star wars so interesting. Engineering is the foundation of the Star Wars Universe AND in all Legendary storytelling.

My point to all this is that with my proposed battle structure, by adding a few new GUI, the game could turn into a cultural benefit for all its players. and could become a strong structural resource for future EA SW titles.

I understood all that in what you said before. I just think that embedding it into SWTOR isn't a good idea. I think it would be better off as its own game. Warzones and arena battles aren't exactly Star-Wars-y, but they fit into SWTOR because they use the same gameplay mechanics (approximately) as exploring, questing, and raiding do. The rail-shooter space missions, GSF as it is now, and TORSFB as proposed, do not sit well in SWTOR because their gameplay mechanics are wildly at variance with the main game's mechanics. That's why I'm dubious about it.

Perhaps I did not explain it well enough.

The Flagships would not be fighting one another. The mechanic would not change from what it is now.

Only the GUI (Graphic User Interface) would be updated. This means that when you have the option to park your flagship. You can see, either by a list of ships or by a map with a ship class Icon, the other ships that are there as competition. This is why I proposed the use of a "support" feature as well. that way guilds who socialize with other guilds have the option to bolster ranks and share in a win rather than going up against the best guilds and always losing even though the 4 people in your guild always get the conquest objectives done.

Adding a smaller class of guild ship would also allow those same 4 man guilds to spread creating a sense of unity while still allowing the conquest mechanic a level of competition with the greater numbers of competing guilds. More competition but the option to join ranks while staying autonomous.