Old vs new setbonus

skomerko

I did, you can find the comparison here

In short: Go 6/6 :-)

Question, why do you favour the 6 piece? It is utter trash compared to the old 4 piece + new 2 piece.

6 piece grants a single critical hit per minute. In my gear a standard Merc Slash hit is somewhere between 5-7k. A critical hit on merciless slash will grant at most an extra 6k on top of that. So lets just say an extra 6k damage per minute, and 7k adjusted to 198 mainstat differences.

The old 4 piece compared to the new grants an extra 1% damage for an extra duration of 5 seconds. Considering Zen is popped twice in a 36GCD (54s) cycle, we would see 30seconds of Zen uptime. That is, an extra 1% of damage for 10 seconds, and an addition 4% damage for 5 seconds. The collective damage here more than outweighs the 7k granted by a guaranteed critical chance.

The mainstat transition from 186 to 198 is not significant enough to even warrant a noticeable difference.

And that is not even factoring in the 8% on Master Strike (Now that Master strike is used more often in our rotation).

I would definitely suggest getting the new 6 piece, ONLY if you do not have access to a Dread Master set bonus - but I'd even go as far to argue it would be roughly the same in terms of parsing.

(As an additional note, I have never parsed higher with my 198 6 piece compared to my 186 + 198 set piece. A progression member runs the 198 consistently and we consistently match each other numbers. Granted he has slightly more gear).

Edited by CameoCream

Anybody tested it? Is 2 new/ 4 old really better than new full 6/6? :rak_02:

I don't believe testing the different set bonus options will yield inconclusive results. That is, I believe the difference is potentially too small to identify given all of the RNG associated with a parse/boss fight. I prepared this comparative analysis of the set bonuses.

I should also point out that two of the best and most respected Maras/Sents in the game have already responded in this thread as well, and they took opposing sides, which I think only reinforces my position that there really isn't much difference :D

I personally consider the old 4 piece to be superior for combat/carnage since MS gets a considerable boost from Precision slash. This is comparing 186 vs 192, if you only have 180 then 192 might start to be better due to the strength difference. All than been said, at current gear levels the difference between both set bonuses is not considerable enough to clearly indicate a superior one. Probably during the next tier of gear you will see most sentinels migrate toward new 6 piece (if NiM mechanics aren't so crappy as to allow sentinels to raid in the first place though :p)

I don't believe testing the different set bonus options will yield inconclusive results. That is, I believe the difference is potentially too small to identify given all of the RNG associated with a parse/boss fight. I prepared this comparative analysis of the set bonuses.

I should also point out that two of the best and most respected Maras/Sents in the game have already responded in this thread as well, and they took opposing sides, which I think only reinforces my position that there really isn't much difference :D

Thank you for some Math oofalong. Have you noticed the old 4 piece isn't working as intended since the recent patch? I seem to consistently parse lower in it now, whereas I consistently parsed higher than the 6 piece with it.

Thank you for some Math oofalong. Have you noticed the old 4 piece isn't working as intended since the recent patch? I seem to consistently parse lower in it now, whereas I consistently parsed higher than the 6 piece with it.

Oh jeez, I hadn't notice that yet although I haven't parsed since the new patch. I will test it out tomorrow.

Wouldn't be the first old setbonus that got broken with a patch ;)

As for why I use new 6pc setbonus: In the first place I actually continually parse higher in Watchman with it (done about 50 parses each to compare). A few things to think about:

•  
  • The comparison is a bit dependent on your Zen useage. If you pop it with the last stack of Overload Saber you will have less set bonus uptime than if you pop Zen as soon as you have 30 stacks.

• Old 4pc only makes sense with maximum Master Strike uptime. But that's the first filler that will probably not get used on Cooldwon in movement heavy fights (say Torque HM and such).

• New 6pc means stronger Dots via more strength. Useful for phases in which you can't directly attack your target. And, guess what, we got a lot of those atm...

• My testing says that in order to make optimal use of new 6pc, you can drop your crit rating a bit in comparison to old 4pc combination.

In short: When parsing, you can't compare the two options, if you don't adapt rotation and gear to make the max out of each option. I find that I perform better with new 6pc when I change both to use 6pc's max potential.

Plus I don't like two have different setups for raiding and dummy parsing. As stated, I think you can't play the old 4pc to its full potential in current ops.

Then again, if you're better at positioning than stupid me and manage to get in all your Master Strikes on Torque HM, things look different again... :D

Either way I agree with Oofalong (as ever so often), that whichever path you chose, you'll not be making a big mistake :)

Wouldn't be the first old setbonus that got broken with a patch ;)

As for why I use new 6pc setbonus: In the first place I actually continually parse higher in Watchman with it (done about 50 parses each to compare). A few things to think about:

•  
  • The comparison is a bit dependent on your Zen useage. If you pop it with the last stack of Overload Saber you will have less set bonus uptime than if you pop Zen as soon as you have 30 stacks.

• Old 4pc only makes sense with maximum Master Strike uptime. But that's the first filler that will probably not get used on Cooldwon in movement heavy fights (say Torque HM and such).

• New 6pc means stronger Dots via more strength. Useful for phases in which you can't directly attack your target. And, guess what, we got a lot of those atm...

• My testing says that in order to make optimal use of new 6pc, you can drop your crit rating a bit in comparison to old 4pc combination.

In short: When parsing, you can't compare the two options, if you don't adapt rotation and gear to make the max out of each option. I find that I perform better with new 6pc when I change both to use 6pc's max potential.

Plus I don't like two have different setups for raiding and dummy parsing. As stated, I think you can't play the old 4pc to its full potential in current ops.

Then again, if you're better at positioning than stupid me and manage to get in all your Master Strikes on Torque HM, things look different again... :D

Either way I agree with Oofalong (as ever so often), that whichever path you chose, you'll not be making a big mistake :)

One of the things is that set bonuses relate differently depending on the spec you use, for watchman MS is more like meh while for combat MS will represent a higher share of your damage.

I have to agree with Aradell, that fights with lots of movement do not favor MS and having either higher ticking dots or a guaranteed crit on dispatch or Merciless would be better than relying on MS. Fun fact, the second MS for combat in Bulo will always fall during the first floor vent :p

It appears the consensus here would be that there is no clear victor between the two sets, with the 186/192 relying more heavily on MS and the straight 192 favoring RNG. For the purposes of conventional combat in the current ops, I would argue to just take the traditional full 192 for the slight endurance lift and the peace of mind knowing you don''t have to lock yourself into a 3-second channel in order to max out your dps in a melee-unfriendly setting.

Imo, mechanics and staying out of stupid >> peaking dps beyond intended limits.